Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Auckland Int Koru

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
The architects are constrained by what the client wants -- in this case, as with the NZ brand identity, it's "cool Kiwiana". Agree that the lounges are a bit sterile looking, but they do fit well with the overall BI of the carrier -- sleek, modern, global rather than regional. A huge improvement over the tired bach theme.
Yes but I will miss the comfortable wicker chairs, even if they were tired. Christchurch a case in point. Style, substance...
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Tried the new lounge on Monday 5th October. Was fairly empty when we arrived around 7am, but quickly started to fill up (I believe it was right in the middle of NZ school holidays), so much so that when we left the lounge around 8:30am people were struggling to find seats and we had a couple waiting for us to leave to take our seats.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:46 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I notice KE & CZ now use the Emporer Lounge at AKL. May help a little with crowding in the NZ lounge.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I had a Monday morning departure recently and found people emptied out when the wide body Syd flight then MEL were called so I think it's only chocka for a brief period. It was then I thought - there's no way that chef could do omelettes for that crowd! I don't know if it gets worse at other times of the day. Have been lucky so far.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:11 pm
Suspended

3 or four visits so far. I really like the "outside" area. Usually quiet (only two of us last time) and good views.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Hi guys

Forgive my terrible sense of direction.

After clearing security, do I bear left to the new lounge?

I can almost do the route to the old one in my sleep but the new one seems to be a direction I'm not familiar with.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by nzlilibet
Hi guys

Forgive my terrible sense of direction.

After clearing security, do I bear left to the new lounge?

I can almost do the route to the old one in my sleep but the new one seems to be a direction I'm not familiar with.
Yes.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Thanks for that. I'm looking forward to trying it.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:05 pm

Very impressed with the new lounge. Freshly made bbq pork sliders and a cold steiny while sitting in the rugby room could easily forget you should be working...
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Takes a bit for me to be impressed by lounges, but I am rather impressed by the new AKL international lounge. It was a little crowded until a couple of TT flights left, but only because few used the terrace area (not least because it was noticeably hot/poorly air conditioned).

There was chicken korma being served up by a chef with naan, which was rather good, and a decent selection of hot buffet food, salads and desserts. Definitely up there with some of the best business class lounges I have been in, and frankly was superior to the Qatar Airways Al Makhoun lounge (notwithstanding the latter's sandwich bar).

It rivals the HKG and SIN QF lounges for food, the wine selection was decent (although the spirits selection remains entry level rather than premium, but this is never an area NZ has shined. Gordon's Gin and JW Red Label are economy class spirits). However, the one bouquet NZ does deserve is having a tended bar AND self-service areas for drinks. It can be tedious to queue up at some lounges at peak times just to ask for a glass of wine (or in some cases water!). The tended bar concept is, in part, driven by wanting to moderate alcohol consumption, but rarely have I seen people over indulge in lounges. Having both enables cocktails to be offered and for there to be service (and advice on drinks), but also means you can sample perhaps a couple of wines yourself before settling down.

I liked the diversity of seating locations and I did use a shower (as I had had a long morning of business meetings and wanted to change before a mid afternoon departure), which was spacious and well planned, although it was never 100% clear if the shower had been cleaned before me (I asked, and it had been). An open shower area always make me wary.

All in all, well done NZ. having views of the airport makes a huge difference, and this is exactly the sort of standard NZ should be achieving. My only minor gripe was the terrace area was too hot, so a lot of seating that would otherwise have made the lounge seem less crowded, was underutilised.

Last edited by libertyuk; Dec 7, 2015 at 4:49 am
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by libertyuk
Gordon's Gin and JW Red Label are economy class spirits). .
Agreed.

They have JW Black behind the bar though.

Last edited by robbau; Dec 7, 2015 at 2:22 pm Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.