Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ set to announce new US destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ set to announce new US destination

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by mattyroo
Houston gives great connections into Northern South America and CA. It is a huge oil and gas hub, with many high travel budget O&G execs travelling from there to both Queensland and Western Australia. This is the market that will be the cream on those flights. Based on my empirical evidence, I think AirNZ would be stupid not to choose IAH.
That would work, and it would be even better if they can time it with the PER-AKL service so that it doesn't involve such a long layover in AKL like what currently happens right now.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
ORD makes little sense. Too far north and east to offer viable connections to Central America, Mexico, Caribbean, and South and South Eastern USA which would involve big side/backtracks from ORD on an already very long flight.
Not to mention, the key USA east coast markets (JFK, EWR, IAD, BOS, MIA etc) are much more direct through IAH than ORD
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: NW Silver, CO Silver,SPG Gold, USMint Presidential, Chase/BA 100k, Airtran Wendy's cups
The elevation at DEN would not allow a 777 at MTOW. I doubt DEN is in the running. Base on a Boeing chart looks like you need to be 100k less the MTOW to get off the ground in DEN. Thats about 20% less. I would think that would be pushing it to AKL.

http://www.boeing.com/assets/pdf/com...s/7772sec3.pdf

Last edited by nwa330; Nov 29, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:52 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by mattyroo
UA run a 787 from Denver to Tokyo, which would be a similar flight time as AKL->DEN of 12hrs, so a fully loaded 787 for this route should be fine. 777 even more so.
DEN-AKL is 25% longer distance than DEN-NRT.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by pepsi1336
ORD makes little sense.
Not to mention, the key USA east coast markets (JFK, EWR, IAD, BOS, MIA etc) are much more direct through IAH than ORD
Other than MIA the flight times from ORD to JFK, EWR, IAD and BOS are shorter - many by around an hour, when compared to IAH.
The point about direct connections to central and upper Sth America is a good one, one-stop would certainly make it more attractive to get to, particularly given the LAN monopoly into South America currently.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Originally Posted by JANZFlyer
Other than MIA the flight times from ORD to JFK, EWR, IAD and BOS are shorter - many by around an hour, when compared to IAH.
Yes, but a flight from AKL-IAH would have to be at least 1.5-2 hrs shorter than an AKL-ORD flight.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:02 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
ORD makes little sense. Too far north and east to offer viable connections to Central America, Mexico, Caribbean, and South and South Eastern USA which would involve big side/backtracks from ORD on an already very long flight.

If NZ wanted to get the Central America / Mexico / Caribbean and Northern South America routes they would route through Panama City with COPA. Think about it, its much closer, you don't need to go through immigration to transfer, no security, and newer / nicer planes.

The Perth market is interesting, does anyone know how much longer it would take to go Emirates via Dubai? Someone told me it would be close to the same but it may be BS?

Personally I hope its ORD - if you do I will be a customer. There are also a few companies here in Chicago that do quite a bit of business in New Zealand.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Yes, but a flight from AKL-IAH would have to be at least 1.5-2 hrs shorter than an AKL-ORD flight.
Overall travel distance is virtually the same for much of the northeast - both routings to BOS for example would be over slightly over 9000 miles.

However, AKL-ORD-MIA is 1000 miles longer that AKL-IAH-MIA

Originally Posted by steveo
If NZ wanted to get the Central America / Mexico / Caribbean and Northern South America routes they would route through Panama City with COPA. Think about it, its much closer, you don't need to go through immigration to transfer, no security, and newer / nicer planes.
AKL-PTY makes a lot of sense connections wise - just need ETOPS 180 or 240. Having 180 requires a swipe toward Galapagos.

It would be a ballsy move if NZ started the route. Could connect to major US Destinations west of IAH/ORD, major Latin America + Caribbean, and secondary Brazil

The Perth market is interesting, does anyone know how much longer it would take to go Emirates via Dubai? Someone told me it would be close to the same but it may be BS?
Assuming East Coast Destination-DXB-PER and East Coast Destination-LAX/DFW/SFO-SYD-PER:

From BOS, routing through DXB is only 100 miles longer distance wise but EK offers the only 1-stop itinerary. The further west or South you go the distance increases through DXB. For example, from JFK its 500 miles longer

I checked total travel times and EK has the shortest travel times (both ways combined) for BOS-PER-BOS and it could be quicker but there are > 2.5 hr layovers on both ends in DXB. From JFK, CX actually has the shortest travel times though the connection is rather tight towards PER in HKG.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:23 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Personally I hope its ORD - if you do I will be a customer. There are also a few companies here in Chicago that do quite a bit of business in New Zealand.
Your points are accurate, however, I think that would only work if a large percentage of the passengers on the flight were flying to Central/South America. I highly doubt there would be enough traffic to fill planes to those destinations and those connecting to the US would most likely still prefer routing through LAX/SFO.

Should a smaller percentage of traffic be geared to SA/CA (say 30% to 40%), IAH is still a reasonable alternative and allows the 60%-70% transiting to the US to chose it , withe better connections to the Southeast and roughly equivalent to the Northeast.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I would think IAH as the choice and that would also explain why UA didn't start 787 service from IAH to ACK.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: NZ - Elite, QF - Gold, Flying Blue - Petroleum Club, SIA - Solitaire PPS, EY- Gold Elite, EK- Gold
Originally Posted by adambisi
AKL-PTY makes a lot of sense connections wise - just need ETOPS 180 or 240. Having 180 requires a swipe toward Galapagos.

It would be a ballsy...
Talking of ballsy... You would want your big-boy pants on landing or taking off in a 777 at Baltra. It's pretty damn short and drink at both ends...

Then the terminal is tiny and everyone has to be carted off the island by this tiny little ferry.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: NZ - Elite, QF - Gold, Flying Blue - Petroleum Club, SIA - Solitaire PPS, EY- Gold Elite, EK- Gold
AirNZ shouldn't be trying to compete with Emirates for West Coast of Oz to East Coast of US - they'll never compete. Emirates' low wage Eastern European cabin crew are a much lower cost than AirNZ can ever run and their volumes just make them ultra-competitive.

What AirNZ should be trying to pick-up is the large business market out of southern US bound for Eastern and Western Australian States.

Houston - Perth is 3000m shorter via AKL, than it is via DXB, and a minimum 2000m shorter still to the East Coast of Oz.

Last edited by mattyroo; Nov 30, 2014 at 9:53 am Reason: grammar
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Anybody know what the actual flight time would be from AKL to IAD or ORD?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:15 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Anybody know what the actual flight time would be from AKL to IAD or ORD?
Obviously its dependant on winds, attitude, etc. but this might give you an idea:

AKL-IAH 11,933km
AKL-ORD 13,170km

As a comparison, AC operates SYD-YVR at 12,484km. Its on a 777 which is roughly the same cruise speed as the 788. Rough average flight time (not gate to gate) is about 13:45.

So I would ball park AKL-IAH as 13ish hours and AKL-ORD as 14:15 (ish).
Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:25 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I would think IAH as the choice and that would also explain why UA didn't start 787 service from IAH to ACK.
I agree that AKL-IAH seems the best AnZ choice, but time will tell. I also wonder if this might have been the real reason UA abandoned the IAH-AKL 787 service (instead of the supposedly retributive Hobby-SW charade excuse).

I am still waiting for UA to offer service to AKL, however. It now seems most likely for UA to offer SFO-AKL if it ever opts to open that market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.