Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome. This thread, begun November 2014, contains excerpts, informational summaries and links to media sources and articles, blogs and the like, relating to Air New Zealand. As well, attributed full information from airline, government or other free, non-copyrighted, sources may be included. As well, it will contain discussion of the information presented.

FlyerTalk has specific rules regarding what is allowed when posting from or quoting copyrighted sources (newspapers and their websites, many blogs and web pages, etc.)

Rule 9. Posting Copyrighted Material

Do not post information protected by copyright or owned by another without the owner's consent. If you infringe on someone else's rights you will be held solely responsible. Neither FlyerTalk nor its owner shall be held responsible for information you post that may violate copyright law.

When posting a news article or other published information, credit the source of the information and give a brief, one-to-three paragraph summary or clip of the content, providing an appropriate link and/or cite to its source.

FlyerTalk's Infringement Policy, found in its Legal Notices disclosure, is made a part of this rule and nothing in this rule is meant to conflict with that Infringement Policy.
You may read the two previous similar threads:

Air NZ in the News (the original)

Air NZ in the News (volume 2)
Print Wikipost

Air NZ in the News, vol. 3

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Is that a recent change?

I was searching for NRT flights a couple of weeks ago and amongst the options was NRT-AKL single flight number via CHC.
When was this for?

Looks like NZ90 is all non stop

http://info.flightmapper.net/flight/..._Zealand_NZ_90

With NZ94 being seasonal to CHC

http://info.flightmapper.net/flight/..._Zealand_NZ_94
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Air New Zealand announces strong half year result

Air New Zealand announces strong half year result

Air New Zealand has today announced record normalised earnings before taxation of $216 million for the first six months of the 2015 financial year, an increase of 20 percent on the previous corresponding period. Statutory earnings before taxation were $197 million, while statutory net profit after taxation was $133 million (down 6 percent).

The result was driven by strong revenue growth, underpinned by increased capacity and improved yields across the network. Operating cash flow of $378 million was up 26 percent on the previous corresponding period.

The Board has declared a fully imputed interim dividend of 6.5 cents per share, an increase of 44% on the previous corresponding period.

Chief Executive Officer Christopher Luxon says the airline continues to focus on offering competitive fares in all markets it serves.

“Whether it be here in New Zealand, on the Tasman, to the Pacific Islands or on our extensive long haul network, Air New Zealand customers can expect to see even more competitive pricing. Initiatives like the reintroduction of the popular Night Rider service and its extension to regional New Zealand have been a hit, as have Grabaseat’s low priced long haul fares to destinations like Los Angeles and Tokyo”, Mr Luxon says.

Result highlights:

- Normalised earnings before tax of $216 million, up 20%
- Statutory earnings before tax of $197 million, down 1%
- Statutory profit after tax of $133 million, down 6%
- Result includes equity accounted losses of $14 million from Virgin Australia
- Operating revenue of $2.4 billion, up 3.4% (5.2% excluding foreign exchange)
- Passenger revenue of $2.0 billion, up 3.2% (5.1% excluding foreign exchange)
- Operating cash flow of $378 million, up 26%
AIR announcement from the NZX website. www.nzx.com
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Air New Zealand faces trans-Pacific competition

Air New Zealand's valuable monopoly on non-stop flights between New Zealand and mainland North America appears increasingly under threat as American carriers consider launching services between Auckland and California.

But industry sources said United Airlines was now weighing the potential of the Auckland-San Francisco route with a Boeing 787 and Qantas partner American Airlines, seeking to become the dominant US carrier in Los Angeles, was looking at the Auckland-Los Angeles route.

Air NZ chief executive Christopher Luxon last week said his airline conducted "war games" on different competitive scenarios, such as competition entering the trans-Pacific route.

"We are pretty prepared for that," he said. "I think with our financial position so strong we feel comfortable about our ability to respond to any competition."

Stuff.co.nz

Yes, please. More competition almost always means better deals for the consumer in the end.

I fly on average 2-3 times round-trip to the States each year, if round-trip prices drop say, NZ$300-$400 compared with current prices, that's easily a grand a year in "savings".
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Air NZ warned over travel insurance sales

Air New Zealand has been issued with a formal warning by the Commerce Commission amid concerns its approach to selling travel insurance may mislead customers.

The commission began investigating the airline in January after concerns were raised about its use of "opt-out" pricing, where online customers are automatically sold extra travel insurance unless they select not to include it in their ticket.

Air New Zealand has promised to ditch the practice from April.

Commission chairman Mark Berry said it wanted all companies to use an 'opt in' approach when selling add-on products to consumers online to avoid any possibility of breaching the Fair Trading Act.
Full story on stuff.co.nz

Yeah the CC has finally done something useful by getting NZ to drop this stupid "opt out" process.^
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Yeah considering credit cards offer insurance (even domestic travel insurance) the opt out behaviour is inexcusable.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: NZ Silver
I see they are waiting till April before changing, so they are obviously taking the warning pretty seriously
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by dadig
Yeah considering credit cards offer insurance (even domestic travel insurance) the opt out behaviour is inexcusable.
Amex Platinum is the only card I'm aware of in the NZ market that includes domestic travel insurance. Everything else is international only.

While the opt-out process annoys me (and I've had to ring up on several occasions to cancel it after making bookings) I actually don't disagree with the principal of it - it seems to have made a huge impact to the continual sob stories we'd see in the mainstream media every few weeks where somebody would criticise Air NZ for not allowing them to change a flight due to unforeseen circumstances.

If you're not smart enough to untick a box, maybe you should actually have travel insurance.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: NZ*E
"and I've had to ring up on several occasions to cancel it after making bookings. If you're not smart enough to untick a box, maybe you should actually have travel insurance."

So I guess if this applies to someone smart like you, it is timely that it be outlawed?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:21 pm

Jetstar not buging on insurance

Jetstar not budging on insurance
Jetstar says it has no plans to change the way the budget airline sells online travel insurance as the Commerce Commission confirms it is investigating airlines' "opt-out" pricing tactics.

Air New Zealand was on Friday issued with a formal warning by the consumer watchdog amid concerns its approach to selling travel insurance might mislead customers.

Wigley said after that he would look at whether to have another "crack" at Air New Zealand on extra credit card fees charged during the booking process.
Just for equal treatment on this website. I do not know when JQ added the opt out process, it has been ages since I booked them but did today and made sure to deselect the insurance on a flight booked today (NZ AKL-WLG, JQ WLG-AKL).
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by zoovet
"and I've had to ring up on several occasions to cancel it after making bookings. If you're not smart enough to untick a box, maybe you should actually have travel insurance."

So I guess if this applies to someone smart like you, it is timely that it be outlawed?
But I choose to not have cover. If people don't understand what benefits there are in travel insurance maybe they should have it.

The times I've done it have been when I've been trying to grab $1 / $9 / $19 bargain fares, where I've simply booked flights in under 10 seconds with multiple clicks just to grab them.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Air NZ travellers sought for cartel lawsuit

Passengers who flew across the Pacific during the last 15 years are being urged to apply for funds from a price fixing class action against airlines, including Air New Zealand.

The legal case, filed in Northern California, has been labelled as "opportunistic" by Air New Zealand which is defending the case but has allowed for a potential liability in its accounts for the past eight years.

Eight airlines have already paid close to US$40 million in the case taken by San Francisco lawyers and they have advertised in today's New Zealand Herald seeking applications from passengers who may have been affected.

The action claims the airlines agreed to fix prices and this may have resulted in passengers paying more than what was necessary since 2000.

The class action lawyers are part of a group called AirlineSettlement.com.
NZ Herald
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Air New Zealand flight takes unscheduled detour

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel...heduled-detour
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:12 pm

Yet another 763 problem.. It's shame such a beautiful airplane is now best suited for retirement as a coke can. :-(
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Westpac bumps BNZ as Airpoints partner

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/6744...points-partner

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpo...customers-faqs
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Ouch. ANZ Platinum has gone from top of the pile to bottom, earn-wise, it two years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.