Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome. This thread, begun November 2014, contains excerpts, informational summaries and links to media sources and articles, blogs and the like, relating to Air New Zealand. As well, attributed full information from airline, government or other free, non-copyrighted, sources may be included. As well, it will contain discussion of the information presented.

FlyerTalk has specific rules regarding what is allowed when posting from or quoting copyrighted sources (newspapers and their websites, many blogs and web pages, etc.)

Rule 9. Posting Copyrighted Material

Do not post information protected by copyright or owned by another without the owner's consent. If you infringe on someone else's rights you will be held solely responsible. Neither FlyerTalk nor its owner shall be held responsible for information you post that may violate copyright law.

When posting a news article or other published information, credit the source of the information and give a brief, one-to-three paragraph summary or clip of the content, providing an appropriate link and/or cite to its source.

FlyerTalk's Infringement Policy, found in its Legal Notices disclosure, is made a part of this rule and nothing in this rule is meant to conflict with that Infringement Policy.
You may read the two previous similar threads:

Air NZ in the News (the original)

Air NZ in the News (volume 2)
Print Wikipost

Air NZ in the News, vol. 3

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Great Lakes is quickly scaling down operations due to new pilot regulations in the USA.
Which has put the kink in this winter's ski trip as they are no longer doing DEN-TEX vv. That coupled with UA halting MRY-DEN it made it difficult to do the Holiday ski trip with the fam from California.
UA is doing EWR-MTJ (Montrose/Telluride) which is about an 1:15 drive which helps, but really loved flying right into the mountain.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by JW76
If you travel all the way to Boston, Massachusetts, then you can have the privelege of flying on Cape Air in a twin-engine Cessna, and on days when there is no co-pilot, you can sit in his seat as an added bonus provided you promise not to touch the controls!
You can do that on Sounds Air out of WLG.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I will miss the B1900D as well. They are my favourite aircraft and I doubt I would ever get the same view through the cockpit windows ever again.
There is always Sounds Air or Air2there!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
SoundsAir let you sit in the right hand seat if the plane is full - it's a much better view than 1F on the B1900!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Yes I am aware of Sounds Air, and Captial Air, Golden Bay Air that all fly out of WLG....the issue really was that for my former job I took the B1900D to BHE, HKK, WHK, WRE, TIU, WSZ, GIS and I really did enjoy the flights exception were a couple when I had a severe cold and felt every bump, rattle, noise and draft and I could not wait to get off that plan,. Changed jobs so no work flying but I will miss the little Beech.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:48 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Auckland to Beijing back on the cards (NZ codeshare on CA)

stuff

Originally Posted by stuff
Air New Zealand and Air China plan to create a strategic alliance that will restore a direct link between Auckland and Beijing for the first time since 2012.

The two airlines today signed a statement of intent paving the way for alliance talks today as part of Chinese President Xi Jinping's state visit to New Zealand.

Under the proposal between the Star Alliance partners, Air China will operate the service.

Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Air NZ crew's boozy AB flight investigated

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/6...t-investigated

Looks like some staff are in trouble for drinking and cuddling All Blacks.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
Air NZ crew's boozy AB flight investigated

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/6...t-investigated

Looks like some staff are in trouble for drinking and cuddling All Blacks.
And the NZ Herald has comments from several pax in BP saying they saw nothing.

Probably like the supposed drunk crews in HNL which my understanding was a pax who saw several of their FAs who out at the pub - and once it made ut to the media it was blown out of proportion.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Air NZ named best in world, again

Air New Zealand has been chosen by website AirlineRatings.com as the airline of the year for the second year running.

The site, which assesses safety and products on 450 carriers, said in-flight innovations, financial performance, operational safety and motivation of its staff had stamped the airline an industry trendsetter.

The airline also had a commitment to a young technologically advanced fleet and its continual focus on the environment, said AirlineRatings.com editor-in-chief Geoffrey Thomas.

The airline also won best premium economy class.
NZ Herald
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:20 pm

Young fleet? Best Premium Economy? You have a greater than 50% chance of getting an old plane and a sub standard PE product.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:45 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Young fleet? Best Premium Economy? You have a greater than 50% chance of getting an old plane and a sub standard PE product.
That whole website is such an amateur effort, cobbled together by an aviation journalist. Air NZ advertises on the website, and it's notable not a peep is said about 10 abreast economy on 777s, but it still mentions 747s. NZ must think it is cheap marketing, but the whole website makes Skytrax look like a professional, impartial operation.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by libertyuk
That whole website is such an amateur effort, cobbled together by an aviation journalist. Air NZ advertises on the website, and it's notable not a peep is said about 10 abreast economy on 777s, but it still mentions 747s. NZ must think it is cheap marketing, but the whole website makes Skytrax look like a professional, impartial operation.
Are you certain NZ directly paid for adverts on the site, or is it just a webservice eg.googleads, that selects adverts based on site content, location reader etc. The internet is a mysterious beast where some people on the same page see different ads....
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Are you certain NZ directly paid for adverts on the site, or is it just a webservice eg.googleads, that selects adverts based on site content, location reader etc. The internet is a mysterious beast where some people on the same page see different ads....
Quite right, I should have said NZ is advertised on the site. There is no evidence that NZ has somehow "bought" this rating at all and I did not mean to imply it, but a look around the airline ratings website by anyone who flies frequently on some of the airlines certainly raises questions as to how credible it is.

Of course the MSM gobble it up the same way it reports government press releases as news without any analysis or critique of any rigour.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by libertyuk
Quite right, I should have said NZ is advertised on the site. There is no evidence that NZ has somehow "bought" this rating at all and I did not mean to imply it, but a look around the airline ratings website by anyone who flies frequently on some of the airlines certainly raises questions as to how credible it is.

Of course the MSM gobble it up the same way it reports government press releases as news without any analysis or critique of any rigour.
I totally agree with you about the quality of these "awards" however any company receiving an award from an organisation that has a smidgeon of credibility would naturally use it for the good publicity that it can generate. In the social media world we live in today awards such as these are numerous and news/publicity is fast and disposable.
IMO I do not use any airline rating system in my decision process and ignore most announcements anyway.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:44 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Air NZ adds more Dreamliners to its fleet

Air New Zealand announces two more Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners will be added to its fleet.

NZ Herald

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.