Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Sydney Koru Lounge Renovations starting 1st November

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM

Contained in the Airpoints Update E-mail that just gone out:

Some information on our Sydney Lounge

We're excited to be starting the refurbishment of our lounge in Sydney International Airport very soon.

While we undergo this work, we wanted you to know that there will be a dedicated temporary lounge available from 1 November, where you'll continue to enjoy the same amenities and services. Once you've cleared Security, our temporary lounge can be found on Level 1 in Pier C (towards gates 50-63).
In that area, there are MH, EK, SQ and NZ lounges listed.
http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/~/me...13.pdf?force=1

Doesn't specifically say which lounge it is, or how long it's going to take. One would "assume" this Temporary lounge belongs to SQ, but we might yet be surprised.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
No, I saw it last week (on my way to EK lounge). It's clearly marked as Air NZ temporary lounge. It is in the basement at the bottom of the stairs. From there, you would turn right to go to EK lounge (to give you some idea of where it is).
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Wow, I'd imagine the SQ lounge would get a lot more crowded and they might start to turn away NZ pax.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold

MH lounge closed months ago. If the temporary NZ lounge is on the same floor as the EK lounge, I assume they're using the old MH lounge.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:04 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
MH lounge closed months ago. If the temporary NZ lounge is on the same floor as the EK lounge, I assume they're using the old MH lounge.
That's my assumption too.

Oh well hopefully SQ lounge is open (and accepting non-SQ passengers) on my next time there.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
How big is the old MH Lounge? I'm guessing we're not going to be allow guests for the next couple of Months.

Any heard anything about the AKL/MEL/BNE upgrades? when I was in BNE earlier this Month, they we're ripping the shops out next to the Lounge. So hpopefully they will make it biger aswell.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:05 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
Yep - I believe it is the case...

I guess the refurbished NZ lounge would be less crowded once the Sky Team lounge finally opens in December (http://www.ausbt.com.au/sydney-airpo...cember-opening) and DL/GA/Chinese carriers' passengers stop using Koru Club.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
How big is the old MH Lounge? I'm guessing we're not going to be allow guests for the next couple of Months.
Old MH lounge was big. Used to be First class on the left and Business class on the right when you entered (when they flew aircraft with F to SYD).
No outlook though as in the basement level.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:37 am

Anyone been in the tempoary lounge yet?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Anyone been in the tempoary lounge yet?
This morning.
It's quite a pleasant lounge, but very small, and very crowded at about 1100, was hard to find a seat. But it was pleasant and comfortable, no outlook as mentioned above.
Food offerings limited to some sandwiches and small wraps (like upstairs in smaller quantities) and they have transplanted the hotdog trolley from upstairs.

Will be okay as a temporary lounge but I definitely wouldn't want to be there on a busy Friday.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Why does anyone ever go to the Koru Club...the SQ lounge is so much nicer.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by skyvanman
Because the SQ lounge isn't open for all of NZ's flights out of SYD (only 3 hours prior to departing SQ flights). Also, they are known to turn away NZ passengers, even if you have *G status and is in contradiction with *A rules.

These 2 threads sums it up:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...q-lounges.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...ge-closed.html
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by skyvanman
As mentioned above the SQ lounge as limited hours, the NZ lounge is open from 0430-2200 daily.

The SYD Koru Club is being fitted out to the same spec as the *A Lounge in LAX (which is Operated by NZ). So the new NZ lounge could end up being better than the SQ Lounge.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Does anybody know how long the refit is expected to take?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
So we will get an outside deck with braziers....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.