Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ to Aus prices in peak summer season

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Wow,

As a fairly new member of Airpoints and also someone who doesn't fly that often I am utterly disappointed and a bit shocked at how this spending system works.. i'm fortunate enough to have enough airpoints in my account to afford a one way TT ticket, but say if i'm going to book an int'l flight thats $1500 return i don't think i'll ever accumulate APD1500... so even if I have say 1000APD i can't even use my APD to offset my ticket prices....
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:18 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Use of airpoints

Originally Posted by curioustill
Wow,

As a fairly new member of Airpoints and also someone who doesn't fly that often I am utterly disappointed and a bit shocked at how this spending system works.. i'm fortunate enough to have enough airpoints in my account to afford a one way TT ticket, but say if i'm going to book an int'l flight thats $1500 return i don't think i'll ever accumulate APD1500... so even if I have say 1000APD i can't even use my APD to offset my ticket prices....
Not quite true you can use your 1,000 APD
1 what you do (assuming your airpoints dollars are NZ based )
Buy the one way to australia with airpoints
2 the return on the australian airnz website with credit card or poli (use the Myers portal to get the 2 points for $1 spend)
Note the $62 taxes need to be paid in cash not airpoints
The other taxes from australia A$100 (nz$111) is paid with what ever method of cash/poli/credit card you choose
If airpoints are australian just reverse
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Oh right so basically just purchase as many 'one-way' sectors as possible with airpoints? Ah yep... btw can someone please explain why I can select 24K on B773 for $20?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:00 am

Wow,

If your current APD balance is not enough to cover the flights you want you can purchase airpoints onto your account so basically paying with a combination of APD and cash.

Ah yep... btw can someone please explain why I can select 24K on B773 for $20?
This is designated as a preferred seat and cost extra to pre select. Just like Exit row seats. If you have Elite or Gold status or Koru, it will become free around 48 hours prior to the flight departure.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WellingtonFlyer
This is designated as a preferred seat and cost extra to pre select. Just like Exit row seats. If you have Elite or Gold status or Koru, it will become free around 48 hours prior to the flight departure.
So $20 gives me the PE seat but not the terminal etc benefits right? And you can't seat select with APD right?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:05 pm

So $20 gives me the PE seat but not the terminal etc benefits right? And you can't seat select with APD right?
On TT flights PE is classified as economy so no extra benefits if you pay $20 for the PE preferred seat. You can only pay the fee with APD if you select the seat at the time of booking.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Argh the price just went down by $40!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:25 am

Programs: NZ*G
Argh the price just went down by $40!
Do not fret

See it like it is - you bought insurance... the very high likelihood of prices rising by a lot more than the amount they fell by, makes it well worth buying early to secure the date you want during a busy period.

Now turn off those hipmunk and skyscanner alert emails.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Wow,

Yes you can. Simply top up your APD account with $500.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Just booked the $20 PE seat at 24K. Don't know why I'm given the option to select it. Bummed out at not being able to pay with APD though. But guaranteed at 24K or could i get bumped?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Just booked the $20 PE seat at 24K. Don't know why I'm given the option to select it. Bummed out at not being able to pay with APD though. But guaranteed at 24K or could i get bumped?
It's not possible to upgrade fare types using APD but is something many people wish for.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's not possible to upgrade fare types using APD but is something many people wish for.
Sorry. I mean that if i've paid for 24K am I reserved that seat, of if someone else comes along they can get it from me.??

Also say during the food service in the PE cabin am I allowed to consume any or not? ha..
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:24 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Sorry. I mean that if i've paid for 24K am I reserved that seat, of if someone else comes along they can get it from me.??

Also say during the food service in the PE cabin am I allowed to consume any or not? ha..
When you book a seat (with NZ anyway) no-one else can 'bump' you.

Although, NZ does always reserve the right to move you for operational reasons. In that case, the amount will be refunded back to you.

If you are in the PE cabin on a shorthaul flight, unless you have booked the 'Works' or 'Works Deluxe' then you will not be offered a meal service. You can buy on board though.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: NZ*S
The seat is yours unless there is some operational need to change. (like an aircraft change or the need to accomodate passengers with disabilities).

If you purchased a seat and bag fare as you originally mentioned then no meal for you but you can purchase snacks onboard. If you purchased works or work deluxe then food and drinks are included.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Ah okay thanks for the info. Last time i flew trans tasman was in 2008 so a lot has changed and i'm really lost. I suppose they will recognise me as a seat +bag in the PE section. I also still dont know why they open a few PE seats for selection...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.