Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New no annual fee Airpoints Amex card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: NZ E, EY G, QF G
After talking to four (!) different BNZ Customer Service Reps I have finally had my current GP Visa Platinum card "upgraded" to the current BNZ offer of 1 year without fees and one year earning rate @ 1 APD for $70 spent (https://www.globalplus.co.nz/platinum/)

I was told several times the offer was only for new sign-ups. Then the story changed to "maybe", if I was willing to transfer all my banking to BNZ. Rep #4 said they would happily offer me the same conditions to keep my business and confirmed immediately by email - no strings attached. So I guess it is worth being persistent.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by MikeAKL
After talking to four (!) different BNZ Customer Service Reps I have finally had my current GP Visa Platinum card "upgraded" to the current BNZ offer of 1 year without fees and one year earning rate @ 1 APD for $70 spent (https://www.globalplus.co.nz/platinum/)

I was told several times the offer was only for new sign-ups. Then the story changed to "maybe", if I was willing to transfer all my banking to BNZ. Rep #4 said they would happily offer me the same conditions to keep my business and confirmed immediately by email - no strings attached. So I guess it is worth being persistent.
can you supply an email address? or was it a personal email address?
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
I applied for it but to me it is just a fun card for this point hobby of mine.

Edited. I mis-read it. 2 APD per $100 only at airnz.co.nz. Just stay with a more normal 1.0% Gold Card - free insurance, MC/Visa better widely accepted. It's like I personally am booking flighs every month or quarter or any of the business class prices ...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:57 pm

They actually always waive the fee if you call to cancel. They don't want you to cancel. Someone in that business told me once: "They won't let you cancel". This is hyperbole, but I have gotten the fee waived year after year.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:03 am

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Like many of you I signed up for this card to get the 50 airpoint sign up bonus. After the points made it into my account I called Amex to cancel the card. They offered me some bonus points to keep it for an extra month so I said sure. They couldn't say how many but that it would be between 20 and 1000 points. I figured 20 for sure oh well... A month later I was surprised to see a three figure bump in my airpoints! Called back to cancel again. This time no offer just a thank you and card was cancelled. Anyone else get this offer?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
But when I had their gold card they upgraded me to platinum and waived the fee for 3 years. About 5 months ago.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Hi not sure if this is the right thread as its quite old. But I signed up for the Amex offer in April 2016 where you got 800 airpoints dollars on the platinum card sign up (fee is $395) so we were up $405 as we always use our airpoints eventually. Anyway just got a letter saying my earn rate would be 1 APD for every $59 spent. That's the best earn rate I've ever seen. I've found some places that do take Amex without surcharge, ie New World, petrol stations, Auckland uni even for the kids hostel fees! So I may make a bit of a hobby out of using it from now in with that earn rate until it comes up for renewal next April.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Ellice
Hi not sure if this is the right thread as its quite old. But I signed up for the Amex offer in April 2016 where you got 800 airpoints dollars on the platinum card sign up (fee is $395) so we were up $405 as we always use our airpoints eventually. Anyway just got a letter saying my earn rate would be 1 APD for every $59 spent. That's the best earn rate I've ever seen. I've found some places that do take Amex without surcharge, ie New World, petrol stations, Auckland uni even for the kids hostel fees! So I may make a bit of a hobby out of using it from now in with that earn rate until it comes up for renewal next April.
True this is a great rate but we are dumping that card soon. Annual fee of $395/yr is too much and you can get the free flight off the edge card. Need a back up card for Amex due to limited acceptance. Can't use at a restaurant etc...

But in true hypocrite style trialling another Amex card for the yr. Pretty sure will stick with the edge card and kiwibank for personal.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
True this is a great rate but we are dumping that card soon. Annual fee of $395/yr is too much and you can get the free flight off the edge card. Need a back up card for Amex due to limited acceptance. Can't use at a restaurant etc...

But in true hypocrite style trialling another Amex card for the yr. Pretty sure will stick with the edge card and kiwibank for personal.
I thought it was interesting that they offered that to me half way thru my trial. I read some other threads that if you ring and say you're cancelling the card they waive the fee. However the lack of acceptance and high surcharge is a PITA!! I thought I may ring Anz visa and see if they will match it for our card with them.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:49 am

Somewhat on topic here but what kind of incomes are people declaring to get this card? I don't know anyone that has applied for either of the cards that got them. I have no trouble getting $10k+ credit cards with other banks. I don't have any debt or any defaults on my credit file.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: NZ *G
To answer the last question, I got one before earning 6 figures.

To the previous point, I have a platinum AMEX with lifetime zero fees (although to be fair I don't know the current APD earn rate as it's my backup card). How? I had a card I used often for a few years then cancelled it. AMEX kept badgering me to get a new card but I said no citing fees. Their solution was to give me a fee free card. I've kept the paperwork in case they ever try to renege 😎
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:21 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I believe the benchmark is 60-65k with minimum 3 months employment pay slip (12 months if self employed).

1APD per $59 burn rate is good but not as good as the World card for overseas at 1APD per $55. Don't forget about SP too
Old Oct 20, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Ellice
I thought it was interesting that they offered that to me half way thru my trial. I read some other threads that if you ring and say you're cancelling the card they waive the fee. However the lack of acceptance and high surcharge is a PITA!! I thought I may ring Anz visa and see if they will match it for our card with them.
From what I read Amex seem to be good at chasing customers and negotiating so take advantage if it suits. I've decided Amex at this point in time is worthwhile keeping and I'm ok keeping a mastercard for places where Amex isn't accepted.

I think the westpac world card is good for the overseas earn but that's work related for me. What I accept work wise and personally are 2 different things.

Amex seem to be the only card you can "churn" in NZ. No one else is offering bonuses or points etc like other countries.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by gratn
To answer the last question, I got one before earning 6 figures.

To the previous point, I have a platinum AMEX with lifetime zero fees (although to be fair I don't know the current APD earn rate as it's my backup card). How? I had a card I used often for a few years then cancelled it. AMEX kept badgering me to get a new card but I said no citing fees. Their solution was to give me a fee free card. I've kept the paperwork in case they ever try to renege 😎
Interesting. might give that a go
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by dadig
I believe the benchmark is 60-65k with minimum 3 months employment pay slip (12 months if self employed).

1APD per $59 burn rate is good but not as good as the World card for overseas at 1APD per $55. Don't forget about SP too
Must look into the World card and fees etc. Wonder what the exchange rates are like for Amex when you use overseas. I found the paypal rate is awful now. .69USD per NZD. Also the onesmart exchange rate is a rip off now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.