Wiki Posts
Search

HKG to AKL via China mainland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

HKG to AKL via China mainland

Hiya

My partner and I are traveling from China back to NZ via Hong Kong. We purchased the ticket via AirNZ which included the the airfare between Hong Kong and Hangzhou on Dragonair.

Flights in China sometimes have significant delays. If we were delayed getting into Hong Kong and missed the airnz flight would reschedule be quite easy?

Would rescheduling be available on the Cathay pacific flights as well or strictly limited to airnz flights?

Edit: anyone had experience with a delay issue?

Last edited by brend; Oct 31, 2013 at 7:46 pm Reason: add more
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Your title should read Mainland China to AKL via HKG perhaps?

Flights from Mainland to HKG are considered international so they usually get priority over domestic flights. If you are on the same ticket and your first leg is late, they will move you to the next available flight. Given their AKL-HKG alliance with CX, there is no reason why they can't move you to a CX flight if there is availibility.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

apologies regarding the title.

Since Dragonair is on the one world network whats the best way to sign up to their rewards scheme/flyer network etc? if any. I have another internal flight within China during my visit.

Also - why does airnz allow you to book flights on the other networks? Dragonair is star alliance.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
NZ GEP access to CX Lounges in HKG and PEK actually worked

To remain competitive with other carriers, especially when booking online.

Notwithstanding alliances, carriers still can make arrangements where it is to the mutual benefit of both - clearly the case here where NZ has come to an arrangement with Cathay rather than, say, Air China. I think this is also a bit about code-sharing AKL-HKG to offer more flexibility in a market where Cathay is perhaps seen as a premium carrier by Kiwis.

I have just finished an Air NZ itinerary AKL-HKG (on NZ) connecting to PEK on CX.

Slightly off topic, but of interest was that I had lounge access with CX in HKG outbound and in PEK for the return based on my NZ Gold Elite Partner status (no Relevant One World status). CX staff in both HKG and PEK took some convincing but a printout of the NZ/CX arrangement helped. Relevant only to connections to/from PVG and PEK in conjunction with the AKL-HKG route (and vv).
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by brend

Since Dragonair is on the one world network whats the best way to sign up to their rewards scheme/flyer network etc? if any. I have another internal flight within China during my visit.

Also - why does airnz allow you to book flights on the other networks? Dragonair is star alliance.
NZ website in a way acts simply as a travel agent. You can find flights across all three alliances and unaligned. For example it allows you to book your connecting flights on to Virgin America in the US and China Eastern in China although I don't know what they are thinking by encouraging you to connect on to VX and MU instead of Airpoints partners. I know these airlines mentioned probably cost NZ less but what's the point of signing up alliance and strategic partners while undermining them at the same time?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by brend

Dragonair (KA) is one of the OneWorld affiliate airlines. their FFP is same as Cathay Pacific (CX), Marco Polo Club for status (US50 to join) and Asia Miles for earn and burn which is free to join.

there are plenty of information under the CX forum!
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum, Emirates Gold, Flying Blue Gold
These loose arrangements that Air NZ is cobbling together with airlines are clearly for the benefit of Air NZ's revenue and not their passengers' convenience. Having to convince partner airlines of the validity of lounge access is irritating and a little demeaning at either the lounge or at check-in.
I had the same issue with Etihad, who would not allow me access to their lounge despite it being Air NZ coded and part of their super-dooper alliance strategy. Bizarrely, Air NZ would not allow me access to their SYD lounge despite being GE and flying on an Air NZ coded EY flight.
Perhaps CX and EY see their NZ deals as less important than does NZ.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by billy
These loose arrangements that Air NZ is cobbling together with airlines are clearly for the benefit of Air NZ's revenue and not their passengers' convenience.
Come to think of it NZ does not have to pay
- for access partner *A lounges (since you flying another allliance)
- for your APD credit (since you flying another allliance)

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I know these airlines mentioned probably cost NZ less but what's the point of signing up alliance and strategic partners while undermining them at the same time?
I would have thought that would be bending some alliance rules/guidelines for airlines close to the point of breaking them.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by poopbunny
Come to think of it NZ does not have to pay
- for access partner *A lounges (since you flying another allliance)
- for your APD credit (since you flying another allliance)

I would have thought that would be bending some alliance rules/guidelines for airlines close to the point of breaking them.
I can assure that CX staff took very close note of my Air NZ web page print out specifying that as NZ*GE(P) I was entitled to lounge access, followed by calls to supervisors to get the go ahead.

I'm sure Air NZ will be charged for my 2x lounge entries per whatever $$$ details lurk on the CX/NZ agreement.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:38 am

Sure.

You "can enjoy lounge access at the Air New Zealand lounge in Auckland or in Hong Kong in the Cathay Pacific Business class lounges when travelling on an Air New Zealand numbered flight between Auckland and Hong Kong.

Gold Elite and Gold members can also access Cathay Pacific/Dragonair business class lounges in Hong Kong, Beijing or Shanghai when they connect to or from a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight to or from Beijing or Shanghai."

These are exceptions.

NZ should include other *A carriers network before before a competitor network. If a flyer uses a *A carrier beyond AirNZ destinations, NZ will have to pay for your lounge access. If Oneworld, etc is used (with noted exceptions), NZ does not pay.

This is Star Alliance where the dots don't connect.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by poopbunny
NZ should include other *A carriers network before before a competitor network.
While I agree it would be preferable for NZ to use *A carriers more, I wouldn't support the blanket approach advocated above.

A couple of points.

1. NZ are not alone in having partnerships outside of the alliance they belong to. Witness the very extensive Qantas/Emirates tie-up, which i'm sure OneWorld's two Middle Eastern carriers wouldn't be delighted about.
2. Requiring NZ to use *A carriers ahead of carriers from another network would almost certainly result in a poorer network/schedule of connections. In many parts of the world the local (or regional) *A carrier has fewer flights than carriers from other alliances (or carriers not in an aliance). I'd much prefer that NZ has the freedom to, where appropriate, select carriers from outside the alliance to provide passenger with a decent network to connect to.

Last edited by DomesticGoddess; Nov 3, 2013 at 5:21 pm
Old Nov 3, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
It would be at least useful if they identify which carriers are Star Alliance so you know which ones you'll get the usual frequent flier benefits on (for those not flying business).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.