Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Question: Downgraded on one flight leg. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qf Platinum

My wife and i are supposed to travelling Business class SYD/AKL/SFO/AKL/SYD,we just received an email from ANZ stating that we have been downgraded to Economy(we were told free off charge!)on our final sector AKL/SYD due to a plane change,we were told that if we want to cancel the whole flight we would be charged $300 per sector,they then offered us $285 per person compensation for the downgrade.I guess my Question is does anybody know if this is correct or is it possible for us to cancel without any penalty?.Sorry about the rant but to say we are not happy with ANZ is an understatement.
Any info would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:33 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
State that this is not acceptable and ask them to put you on another carrier AKL/SYD in Business Class.
If they will not state that you do not believe the level of compensation is equitable look at the difference between Works and a Business Class fare on the same day/flight and state that should be the difference. Works Deluxe is not an acceptable substitution for the basis of the fare difference.
NZ is getting away with this too frequently.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:35 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Wow. That is poor. Involuntary downgrade they should refund the whole fare free of charge and you should take your business for the whole trip elsewhere. Then send them a copy of fare you are spending with others.....
Although if the last leg was on a 767 in business class you are not missing much. It is a cr.p product that AirNZ should ashamed of. They banked the compensation from Boeing for the 787 instead of spending it on a proper business class for their clients.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies,Blackcloud and WLGNZ,we are looking into Qantas now, more expensive but heyho.They have told us we will be on the A320 with no guarantee off where we will be sitting,as far as we are concered this is not acceptable.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Wow, given this level of service I am starting to worry about my recognition upgrades on my next SFO-AKL flight on a 747 which has been confirmed into Business due to GE. There are a lot of down gauge lately. If this flight gets downgraded to a 777 will I lose my Business seat?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Dont like to tell you this Xiaotung,but we were originally booked on a 747 SFO/AKL but that was also changed to a 777/200,but at least we were still booked in Business class,good luck with your booking!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by bhoyinoz
Dont like to tell you this Xiaotung,but we were originally booked on a 747 SFO/AKL but that was also changed to a 777/200,but at least we were still booked in Business class,good luck with your booking!
Thanks for telling me. As yours was probably not an upgrade, you would always be in Business. But a down gauge to a 772 could result in overbooking in which case I could be sent back to Economy with my recognition upgrades refunded? I guess based on your experience, I can't rely on customer service.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
When are you flying to SFO? All of the issues to/from SFO will be resolved within a few weeks when SUH leaves the hospital and both 744's end up on the run again.

There have been huge changes in the last few weeks (and coming week) with SUH not on the run and NBV doing a charter to Cancun.

With the downgrade to 77E from 744 to SFO lots of people have ended up being routed via LAX.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
They have told us we will be on the A320 with no guarantee off where we will be sitting,as far as we are concered this is not acceptable.
That's right. The better seats are saved for those that spend lowest dollar and pay a few bucks extra to pick the cream of the crop. Those paying top dollar and frequent fliers are rewarded with crusty seats down the back.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by NZ*Trout
That's right. The better seats are saved for those that spend lowest dollar and pay a few bucks extra to pick the cream of the crop. Those paying top dollar and frequent fliers are rewarded with crusty seats down the back.
The back of the plane is quite a sociable area since it's where most of the G's and GE's hang out now. Word on the street however is that this is changing soon.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:27 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs down Whoa!!!

I believe that this qualifies as a "Screw Job Royale"!!! I's demand an entire refund & take my business else where ASAP )-:
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies.We are flying in September sbiddle,but we are looking for an alternative flight.First time we have booked with NZ but you can be assured it will be the last.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 2:03 pm

Thanks for all your replies.We are flying in September sbiddle,but we are looking for an alternative flight.First time we have booked with NZ but you can be assured it will be the last.
For all intent purposes Trans Tasman Air NZ services are that of a low cost carrier. Business is only available on the handful of flight flown by a 744, 77W/7E and 763.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:34 pm
CFU

Seems to be standard practice on NZ to put business passengers in economy without compensation and not giving seats with extra legroom they even asked me to pay 15 euro extra to get exit row even though I was booked and paid business class...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

"Update" All flights cancelled(full refund) booked now with Qantas.Never again NZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.