Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Pricing on Air NZ vs Virgin Australia on same flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I noticed that Air NZ and Virgin Australia have some kind of codeshare arrangement. The prices on Virgin Australia seem to be much lower than the prices on Air NZ, for the very same flights. Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of? For example, Air NZ operates a flight for which they charge something like $300 while Virgin Australia seems to charge something like $200 for the same flight. Does Virgin Australia have hidden fees? Any insights? Thanks in advance.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Not sure if this is the right place to ask. I noticed that Air NZ and Virgin Australia have some kind of codeshare arrangement. The prices on Virgin Australia seem to be much lower than the prices on Air NZ, for the very same flights. Are there any gotchas that I should be aware of? For example, Air NZ operates a flight for which they charge something like $300 while Virgin Australia seems to charge something like $200 for the same flight. Does Virgin Australia have hidden fees? Any insights? Thanks in advance.
Are you sure it's in the same currency? The same inclusions/exclusions (relating to meals/entertainment, etc.)

They are usually pretty similar, I thought (but could well be wrong).
Old May 9, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Ensure that you are looking at the same product category.

In terms of the level of service you receive:
Saver Lite = Seat Only
Saver = Seat + Bag
Flexi = Works

If VA is really charging $100 less for the equivalent category, by all means, book with VA. Plus if you are a VA elite, you don't pay for check in bags on Saver Lite whereas NZ elites get no bags on the Seat Only fare even on their own metal.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Could you provide some specific examples of the journeys where there are differences (dates, routes, etc)?
Old May 9, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I once saved $220 on a one way AKL-OOL booking the same NZ metal flight through VA rather than on the NZ site. And not only that, the cheaper fare on VA ended up booking into flexi, so I got the works and full earning, and opposed to seat only.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: Airnz Elite
different pricing

Do you mean same flights ?
Or same flight ?

When I book you are right most times virgin flights
Are cheaper ie Brisbane Auckland mostly the two virgin flights are cheaper than the two Airnz but I have never looked on the virgin website to compare the actual flight price difference
Is this what you mean ?
Old May 10, 2013, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I looked at this earlier in the week for the Mrs WLG-(SYD)-TSV:

$314 on Virgin's website with Saver fare (Seat+Bag)
$400-ish on NZ's site for Seat+Bag

Same actual flights, but codeshare flight numbers differed.

Went with QF in the end for $380 for 'full service', SC and Points.
Old May 10, 2013, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies so far.

Here's an example.

May 29, 3:30pm, SYD-AKL, on NZ 0718
Smart Saver $319, Flexi $442

May 31, 1:00pm, AKL-SYD, on NZ 0719
Smart Saver $271, Flexi $394

Smart Saver includes one bag, 23kg.
Fare $439
Taxes and fees $148.50
Total $587.50

Now the exact same flight on Virgin Australia. Note this is the same aircraft, operated by Air New Zealand.

May 29, 3:30pm, SYD-AKL, on VA 8018
Saver Lite $158, Saver $203, Flexi $440

May 31, 1:00pm, AKL-SYD, on VA 8019
Saver Lite $218, Saver $243, Flexi $393

Saver Lite include no bag, Saver includes one bag, 23kg, so let's go with Saver to compare apples to apples.

Fare $301
Taxes and fees $146.48
Total $447.48

The NZ website quotes prices in USD and the VA website quotes prices in AUD. However, the exchange rate is almost exactly 1.000. (I'm based in the US.)

The difference is about $140.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:50 pm

The NZ website quotes prices in USD and the VA website quotes prices in AUD. However, the exchange rate is almost exactly 1.000. (I'm based in the US.)
The difference is about $140.
Switch to the Australia version of the Air NZ site -- the US/Europe/other versions of the NZ site don't offer the cheapest type of fares. To change site version you need to click to the bottom left hand corner of the page.

The prices will then be +/- AU$10 on the same flights. Be sure to click to remove the flight insurance of $30.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
As mentioned it is because your not booking on the .com.au or co.nz site, using the .co.nz I can see fares on the NZ site for $129 that week you want to travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.