Wiki Posts
Search

Ranking your favourite TT airline

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Ranking your favourite TT airline

Hi Folks.

Just wanted to sound out how you would rank current Trans-Tasman Y products from different airlines. (Current sentiment re: Air NZ notwithstanding).

In my recent experience, in descending order, is Air NZ (772)> Air NZ (773) > QF/Jetconnect > Emirates > Air NZ (A320) > Jetstar.

Please let me know what you think. If you also want to rank J products, please go ahead!

Thanks. Mr MNJ
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
First
EK
Business
NZ, QF, EK, LA
Economy
QF.....I would not consider anyone else.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
First
EK
Lol, that's the only F option on this route...

QF has the best and consistence Y product, I couldn't bother with NZ's LCC style service.... And EK has good aircraft, nice service and everything, but only one flight a day. Also they are not part of any alliance, I just can't stick with EK only with my travel patterns, so won't consider them..
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by 123dd
Lol, that's the only F option on this route...

QF has the best and consistence Y product, I couldn't bother with NZ's LCC style service.... And EK has good aircraft, nice service and everything, but only one flight a day. Also they are not part of any alliance, I just can't stick with EK only with my travel patterns, so won't consider them..
Yeah I had to put First in....on a special you can get it and the Limosene transfer service for the price of QF and NZ Business Class.
Interestingly I used to travel LA quite frequently but last year only twice with QF taking the top spot and EK once, this is all self funded in Business.
Oh LA did have a mediocre First product but that was taken out when they installed the new seats.
QF in Economy is great if you have WP status as the First Lounges in MEL and SYD, even BNE and AKL First Lounges are miles ahead of NZ, plus access to the increased legroom seats on the 737 definitely ease the pain of WHY that NZ just cannot make up for. Even transferring on domestics helps with SC and FF point accruals which NZ does not support.
I have not tried DJ (even though I still am a shareholder) since they started their product upgrade and alliance with NZ.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: VA Gold, Aegean *G, QF, SQ...etc
Depends on your criteria. Last time I flew EK in Y they were nice but their flight times are not as convenient as (say) DJ, QF, NZ for me (I like to leave on the late flight MEL-AKL).

My experience with QF Y is near universally awful, and I wouldn't touch JQ with a barge pole, nor the 773 product on NZ (well, except that I would likely be seated in y+ which is a sweetener--I'd do THAT) so I guess I'd rate it as

NZ 772 > EK > NZ 320 > DJ > QF.

Service generally best on NZ IME, followed by EK.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Placebogirl
Depends on your criteria. Last time I flew EK in Y they were nice but their flight times are not as convenient as (say) DJ, QF, NZ for me (I like to leave on the late flight MEL-AKL).

My experience with QF Y is near universally awful, and I wouldn't touch JQ with a barge pole, nor the 773 product on NZ (well, except that I would likely be seated in y+ which is a sweetener--I'd do THAT) so I guess I'd rate it as

NZ 772 > EK > NZ 320 > DJ > QF.

Service generally best on NZ IME, followed by EK.
I agree with most of your comment apart from ranking DJ above QF... I mean DJ is a LCC with no entertainment, food, baggage and etc.. While QF is full service airline.....
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:09 pm

Each to their own but with WP status and the benefit that it gives, I have never had a problem with QF and still rate them above all others in Economy.
NZ until I got QF WP, was better especially with the introduction of Space+ but after S2S never again.
EK 10 across on a 777, never again.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Each to their own but with WP status and the benefit that it gives, I have never had a problem with QF and still rate them above all others in Economy.
NZ until I got QF WP, was better especially with the introduction of Space+ but after S2S never again.
EK 10 across on a 777, never again.
In the end it's all about status and its perks, it seems . My experiences on QF were all as a low-status pax, and as I say, pretty much universally awful. My most recent nil-status experience was flying DJ nearly two years ago domestically for work (before the codeshare), and I rate their experience nil-status as better than the domestic experiences I had around the same time as a QF club member flying QF--I just think their flight attendants and gate staff are nicer, as are their seats. The food and entertainment on QF trans-tasman are not enough to make up for the apalling service I've received from them, basically.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
NZ in Y because of schedules, service and quality (Space+ for example, good service for its GE's I always find and on many occasions blocked seats next to me) - I actually enjoy the A320 over the 767 for comfort (again Space+) unless I can snag a good seat on the 767 (10A/B for example).
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:44 am

For Joe Public, my guess is that NZ's service - both on the ground and in the air, and AVOD in every seat, gives it a really significant advantage over QF.

For the average FFer my guess is that NZ lounges add further to advantages over QF.

For elite FFers with access to first lounges and all types of premium seating, refer Blackcloud's comments above.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
For Joe Public, my guess is that NZ's service - both on the ground and in the air, and AVOD in every seat, gives it a really significant advantage over QF.
I agree with you... Once upon a time, I was a loyal customer of NZ too. But the decaying of airpoints programme over the years has slowly eroded my loyalty to a point where I am advocating on the web against them...... But that just me...

Yes, NZ does have very good service overall... Although I would rate TT and domestic S2S as a joke, a LCC joke.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Yes, NZ does have very good service overall... Although I would rate TT and domestic S2S as a joke, a LCC joke.
I just love how much derision NZ gets for the LCC style service on TT!

Travel as a non-elite on any 3hr flight (cf. SYD-AKL) in economy within North America on a US airline, and you get either Seat or Seat + Bag, and the buy on board menu on this length flight is either non-existent or just rubbish. No fresh food (salads/sandwiches) on flights that short. And no comfort if stuck on an aging MD80... AC seem a little better, more aligned with the NZ product.

Also, not sure exactly what NZ serve domestically, but I've been on flights in US longer than WLG-CHC and not even a drop of water was served (the crew were too busy making multiple announcements that the flight was too short for a beverage service!)

Travellers in Aus/NZ are all rather spoilt, even on the LCC and the pseudo-LCCs such as NZ!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Travellers in Aus/NZ are all rather spoilt, even on the LCC and the pseudo-LCCs such as NZ!
I don't agree..... It's all about market and competition... US is an unfortunately market where tough competition over the years has driven down the price and service level...

But if you look at markets such as Chinese domestic, even 1 hr flights are offered full service....

For me to be at the airport 90min before departure for TT checkin, then 3 hours flight, plus another half an hour arrival, that's 5 hours minimum gone... I would choose the airline that offers me something.... For the past decade or longer we had both full service and LCC on this route, and unfortunately we have seen NZ slowly aligning them with the LCC.... So not my choice anymore... Again that's just me, but I don't feel spoilt just because I have a choice...
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:20 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Will generally take QF but when NZ Works is $200 cheaper, their going to win. 6000 QF points isn't worth $200.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:03 pm

For me to be at the airport 90min before departure for TT checkin, then 3 hours flight, plus another half an hour arrival, that's 5 hours minimum gone... I would choose the airline that offers me something.... For the past decade or longer we had both full service and LCC on this route, and unfortunately we have seen NZ slowly aligning them with the LCC.... So not my choice anymore... Again that's just me, but I don't feel spoilt just because I have a choice...
I felt the same way until I looked at the prices of food on Air NZ. I would never usually have had more than one glass of wine anyway, so for (say) a pie and sauce and a glass of wine add $12NZ to the airfare--and this is about as good an offering as you get when you pay for the meal, at least ex Aus (all bets are off ex NZ where the offer the Kapiti icecream!). Add another $10NZ for the movies--if there's anything worth seeing, which on the 320 service there usually isn't (IME the TV documentaries are MUCH better than the movies on the 320 service). The difference in fare is $55 AUD (or about $70 NZD) between seat and works, and $30 AUD ($39 NZD) between seat+bag and works. Most of the time I fly TT it's for such a short hop that luggage is an encumbrance, so most of the time I'm better to compare seat+extras to another airline than The Works. This does assume flying on NZ metal though--the prices of extras are much higher on DJ metal.

Everyone's needs are different though--if you want more wine or need to carry luggage your calculations will be very different to what I have just outlined there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.