Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Using American Express NZ Membership Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD

Hi, I have 114,000 Membership Rewards points that I want to use before I get rid of my old green charge card (it provides little benefit for me anymore). Is it worth transferring the points to Airpoints (at 175 MR points to 1 Airpoint), or are there better transfer opportunities?

Thanks for any assistance provided.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by pbl22
Hi, I have 114,000 Membership Rewards points that I want to use before I get rid of my old green charge card (it provides little benefit for me anymore). Is it worth transferring the points to Airpoints (at 175 MR points to 1 Airpoint), or are there better transfer opportunities?

Do you have FF cards with any of the other transfer partners?
I topped up my TG account with a similar amount of AMEX points to get a free * award flight to Canada and back in J on NZ/AC (130,000 TG miles). Happy with the value of that as TG points I had were going to expire and these tickets would cost over $10k to purchase.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:16 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold

This would give 57,000 SQ Krisflyer points. 76,500 points is required for a Return Business Saver ticket to Singapore from NZ if redeemed online.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:39 pm

Is VS a Amex NZ partner? I know it is an Aust Amex MR partner, but if so, VS should be a good choice.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Is VS a Amex NZ partner? I know it is an Aust Amex MR partner, but if so, VS should be a good choice.
Well, DJ is.

Many thanks for your replies. I think WLG Base may be onto something with SQ.

However, I have found some time to run through all the options (assuming I have no points with any of the partners already) to find what I can do with my measly 114,000 AMEX MR points with each available partner

Flights (all in Y return from AKL):
NZ - $650 (so Works to East Coast Australia or (nearly) 3 longhaul sector upgrades to PE)
CX - Nowhere
MH - Nowhere
DJ - Anywhere in Australia that DJ flies to
QF - Anywhere in Australia
SQ - Anywhere in SE Asia
TG - Nowhere

Hilton HHonors - 114000 HH points
Priority Club - 68400 PC points
Starwood - 37,620 SPG points

So, it appears that SQ offers the best flight options, although the NZ upgrades can't be discounted, especially for AKL-LAX.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: QF Platinum / LTS, Air NZ Gold Elite, Velocity Silver, OW Emerald, Hertz PC

had a similar problem as you with my old green card. I converted 56,000 points into an Accor vouchure ($350) and took my wife away last month for a nice long weekend.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:21 am

Programs: NZ*E, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
SQ

So, it appears that SQ offers the best flight options, although the NZ upgrades can't be discounted, especially for AKL-LAX.[/QUOTE]

I always use Singapore... heaps of seats and good value, costs they same to Bali of hong kong as it does to Singapore. Also business fares aren't much extra and you can have 1 way. Make sure you book online, you pay 15% less points
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:39 am

Many thanks for your replies. I think WLG Base may be onto something with SQ.

SQ - Anywhere in SE Asia
TG - Nowhere
If you transfer to SQ or TG you can redeem for NZ flights.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
If you transfer to SQ or TG you can redeem for NZ flights.
Indeed! See here: http://www.thaiairways.com/frequent-...e-airlines.htm

So you could have 57K TG points to burn.......

Note TG system is geographic, so NZ in in SW Pacific region. This opens up some enticing possibilities:
eg

NZ-NZ (AKL-PPT or AKL-RAR) biz 45k TG miles
NZ-Aust (AKL-PER, PPT-AKL-PER) biz 50k TG miles
NZ-Hawaii biz 60k TG miles

Cheers, TK
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your suggestions. As TK says, some enticing possibilities.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Note that I'm note sure of the success rate in securing TG awards on NZ. I presume the usual X/I classes on NZ are needed for awards on NZ in Econ/Biz using TG miles.

I did have a 'problem' trying to get Mrs TK in biz-ex-WLG with WLG-SYD (NZ) and SYD-BKK (TG). THAI were saying that the 320 service wasn't NZ (I suspect confused as the TT service is actually the holding company Zeal320).

In the end went for biz ex-CHC on SQ, until TK Uni-son wanted to also travel, and mum weakened so they both went to BKK on TG Y.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.