Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Coming soon - your new Star Alliance Gold Lounge card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E

anyone got this? another card in the wallet...?

Hello mmonster,

Keep an eye on your letterbox, because your new Star Alliance Gold Lounge Card should arrive any day now.

Your new Star Alliance Gold Lounge Card makes it easier to enjoy overseas travel by improving access to our Star Alliance partner lounges. If you're departing on a Star Alliance flight, simply swipe or present the card when you enter any Star Alliance partner lounge overseas and they'll welcome you in to relax before your flight.

Just keep in mind that this new card doesn't replace your Airpoints™ Membership card, which remains the primary card to use when travelling anywhere on the Air New Zealand network. It's also the card to use when earning Airpoints Dollars™, so make sure both cards are tucked into your wallet whenever you fly.

Kind regards,

Simon Pomeroy
Head of Loyalty
Air New Zealand
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:44 pm
NHM

Programs: NZ*GE
great, another card to fill up my wallet
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E
NHM, that is what I was thinking too...
just realised that this was posted this morning on another thread to do with GE, but I have not been reading that as I am still on G
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:38 pm

Same, my wallet is already bursting at its seams.

The only other *A member I use is SQ and usually if I book with credit towards NZ, my status is printed on the boarding pass anyways. Never been asked for the card in Changi.

Might experiment with the domestic NZ card overseas to see if they will accept it (if asked), of course I will pack this other card just in case.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I received some more information on why: Apparently there is a conflict in the mag data that NZ currently store vs. what's expected by Star airlines that are rolling out automated checkin and automated lounge access. Hence the issuing of another card for pax who want the 'seemless' Star services who may be experiencing issues with the current NZ*G/NZ*E cards. You don't have to use it but you might lose out on kiosks or automated lounge entry.

On the one hand it's a reasonable fix for the problem; on the other hand I wonder why the NZ magdata can't be reorganised to suit a common standard. Cynical me suggests it's due to the FlyBuys data.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:45 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by poopbunny
The only other *A member I use is SQ and usually if I book with credit towards NZ, my status is printed on the boarding pass anyways. Never been asked for the card in Changi.
Odd. I was through Changi nearly every single week for three years and was almost always asked for my card (be it NZ*G or UA*G), especially in the T3 lounge.

In the SIN case the new card or old card would work since they're simply eyeballing it.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Is this the 2nd or 3rd email from Simon the new loyalty manager? None of these emails has so far been positive. He has done nothing but made the program more and more complicated, eg, 5 long haul Airpoints earning categories. Now 2 cards! Seriously who does that.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 11:47 pm
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ajnz
Apparently there is a conflict in the mag data that NZ currently store vs. what's expected by Star airlines
Makes sense. When Lufthnasa swipe my current card, it reads as expired in Jan 2008. Which is a lot better than my previous card, which apparently expired in November 1942.

But NZ have other issues fitting in with the *A network. Has anyone ever experienced issues with the length of their AP membership number? The number on my card is printed with 8 digits (a leading zero followed by 7 digits), which a couple of airlines' checkin systems only recognize as AP Basic. On myairnz.co.nz the number is 7 digits (no leading zero) which online checkin systems do seem to automatically recognise as Gold. Then my company's travel agent was having issues getting Amadeus to accept either the 7 or 8 digit version into any booking, and was informed by NZ to use an additional leading zero (9 digits total), which gets the number accepted, but again is only recognised by some airlines as Basic.

So, anything that *A can do to standardise little annoyances like this is fine by me.

That said, I've got no mail in my inbox about a new card being delivered.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I received the email - in my spam folder!

I wonder if that was a portent......
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Originally Posted by kiwi_norway
Makes sense. When Lufthnasa swipe my current card, it reads as expired in Jan 2008. Which is a lot better than my previous card, which apparently expired in November 1942.

But NZ have other issues fitting in with the *A network. Has anyone ever experienced issues with the length of their AP membership number? The number on my card is printed with 8 digits (a leading zero followed by 7 digits), which a couple of airlines' checkin systems only recognize as AP Basic. On myairnz.co.nz the number is 7 digits (no leading zero) which online checkin systems do seem to automatically recognise as Gold. Then my company's travel agent was having issues getting Amadeus to accept either the 7 or 8 digit version into any booking, and was informed by NZ to use an additional leading zero (9 digits total), which gets the number accepted, but again is only recognised by some airlines as Basic.

So, anything that *A can do to standardise little annoyances like this is fine by me.

That said, I've got no mail in my inbox about a new card being delivered.
I believe they have fixed the leading zero issue by removing the zero printed on the card. I used to have problems with CA, FM, OZ recognising my *G status and had some bad experiences. Never an issue now with the new card only printing the 7 digit membership number.

The lounge card may only be sent out to New Zealand based members if it was indeed a Flybuys issue.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:08 am
formerly kiwi_norway

Programs: A3*G, NZ*S, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I believe they have fixed the leading zero issue by removing the zero printed on the card.
Good to know! I've had my new card two weeks now, and hadn't even noticed the lack of leading zero. :-)
Old Aug 17, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: NZ *GE
I have 2 cards already - the Flybuys one which I dont use cause the flybuys logo looks cheap, and the light straw coloured one with A, KORU and the Star logo. both exp at the same time. So I'm thinking my next GE card will be the flybuys logo one plus the new Star GE one.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Why are the I'm glad it's only *G that are getting them, as I Koru ive already go two cars its damn pain.

I don't get why don't they just replace all the current cards?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Why are the I'm glad it's only *G that are getting them, as I Koru ive already go two cars its damn pain.

I don't get why don't they just replace all the current cards?
Because of conflicts in the mag data, per post #5.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by ajnz
Because of conflicts in the mag data, per post #5.
I though flybuys only used the barcode of the back of the card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.