Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Volcanic ash

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2011, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Volcanic ash

It is reported that this is causing disruption for TT flights. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10731765

Qantas have cancelled flights between CHC to Aus, AirNZ says they will change altitude and flight paths as needed.

Anyone been on an AirNZ flight that has been "adjusted"?
Old Jun 11, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
This will be an interesting one to watch. Im flying CHC-SYD on QF this Wednesday. And back on the Saturday. Im sure we'll be ok but wish me luck please people.

Fingers crossed.

On a side note we had an intensely orange sunrise this morning. So beautiful.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 8:25 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF WP, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Gold
About to cross the Tasman on (delayed due to the Melbourne fog) NZ 863 to Brisbane. Will let everyone know afterwards in case the captain gave any particular explanation of explains what they changed re flight path/levels.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:32 am

QF has also cancelled flights between MEL and DPO (Devonport, Northern Tasmania), which sounds more like an excuse to cancel flights than fear of volcanic ash still sitting somewhere over NZ ...
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
the news indicated the ash was coming via Australia (esp southern Australia)
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Yes the ash is coming from the west, showing how far it has travelled and how long it takes to fall from 50K ft'.
QF has cancelled all services to and from MEL and on a Sunday I can tell you they are not empty. QF has taken the conservative approach to passenger and aircraft safety, while NZ is looking at a very different operating pattern to ensure its passengers' safety.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Flying to WLG tomorrow, don't think ill be affected but flying to MEL this Saturday on Air NZ, hopefully no cancellations...
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:38 am

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints
Flew AKL-WLG-DUD today. The 737 cruised at 18000ft instead of normal cruising altitude. Really nice sunset.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by skyglow1
Flew AKL-WLG-DUD today. The 737 cruised at 18000ft instead of normal cruising altitude. Really nice sunset.
Fuel burn increased costs probably less than cancellation costs....
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:20 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Imagine the backlog, i was reading that the flight cancellations today by Qantas/Jetstar/Virgin in Australia are hard to recover from given that Sunday flight's are generally very full, if delays/cancellations continue tomorrow (Domestic-Aus and Intl) there will be a very heavy backlog.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:55 am

I am on an award ticket with routing via AKL. I would prefer to route via HKG. Anyway to get VDB to a Cathay Pacific flight?

How does NZ treat VDBs for award tickets?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Rebound
Imagine the backlog, i was reading that the flight cancellations today by Qantas/Jetstar/Virgin in Australia are hard to recover from given that Sunday flight's are generally very full, if delays/cancellations continue tomorrow (Domestic-Aus and Intl) there will be a very heavy backlog.
This is when NZ starts up the 5 spare 744 & charges QF/JQ/DJ passengers an arm and leg to get onboard.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 3:46 pm

Has it drifted off?

Everything seems normal on the NZ schedule today....
Old Jun 12, 2011, 4:45 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by trooper
Has it drifted off?

Everything seems normal on the NZ schedule today....
Nope still around, just all NZ jet services are running at a max of 18,000ft
Old Jun 12, 2011, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound
Imagine the backlog...Sunday flight's are generally very full
Today - Monday 13th - is the Queen's Birthday public holiday in Australia, so presumably that will make clearing the backlog even harder again.

I just read elsewhere that the Spirits of Tasmania (i.e. bigger versions of the Cook Strait ferries, that cross from Melbourne to Tasmania) have cancelled showing movies whilst QF MEL-DPO is on-hold, and are selling the cinema seats for the 8-9 hour crossing instead.

Makes 10-abreast on a 777 look almost civilised ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.