Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Payment Fees rise again

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by brenrox
Really? In NZ they will happily take mine....(although, there are many mornings where I wish they hadn't)
In New Zealand, most smaller retail businesses take only domestically issued EFTPOS cards but not credit cards. That is by pressing the CHQ or SAV bottom on the machines. That's probably what FlyingHigh20 was referring to. I often see travellers from New Zealand try to use their EFTPOS cards in Australia and get declined.

It appears that in Australia banks do not offer an EFTPOS card only option to merchants.
Old May 13, 2011, 10:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
I've noticed increasingly that stores/services in Australia and New Zealand typically "nickel and dime" their customers, charging them for practically everything as if each business was some form of am LLC equivalent. This doesn't happen in Europe nor does it happen in the US (although Canada sometimes falls prey to this practice in some form).

What it all comes down to is that, in my opinion (and many of my fellow travellers in USA and Europe) feel is that Aus/NZ are truely behind in their mentality when it comes to this. It's a prime example of "Penny wise, pound foolish". As a country, it makes me feel as if all AUS/NZ stores are the equivalent of a small chinese restaurant, charging me ten cents for a packet of duck sauce for no other reason other to be difficult and cheap.
Hmmm, I think I prefer the NZ and Aus approach than the awful pricing practices of the US which do not include taxes of 'near compulsory' tips for service staff - both of these are a cost to me as a consumer and should be included in the quoted price for the goods and services.

The main
Old May 13, 2011, 11:25 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I often see travellers from New Zealand try to use their EFTPOS cards in Australia and get declined.
Ive never understood why they have never gotten around to interline the two systems.
Old May 14, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: NZ/QF/BA
The main issues I have with cards in Australia (as a customer of a NZ bank) is that most shops don't seem to accept any cards at all. So the arguments about whether or not NZ cards works in Australia is rather academic as it's easier to just withdraw cash from an ATM before you go shopping. This is the strategy I use in Australia -- though I still use my Mastercard when I stumble across the rare places that accept them.

Here in NZ the only regular cash purchase is when I buy tickets on the suburban trains in Auckland -- and even that will cease when integrated ticketing is rolled out on the trains by the end of the year. Everything else I pay for via Mastercard or my EFTPOS card depending on which is accepted.

When looking at which countries are doing well in becoming a 'cash-less society' I think NZ is probably one of the leaders. I know many people who don't even bother carrying cash save for perhaps a 'back-up' $20 note.

- James
Old May 14, 2011, 12:17 am

@KiwiSurfer they seem to be okay with taking NZ issued Visa debt cards in Aussie. expect at Gloria Jeans, they have a minimum of $5, which is a problem when your trying to buy a $4.95 Coffee, as they wont let you pay the extra 5cents. In away its good cause they coffee is the worst I have ever come across.

The only time I ever use a ATM is in aussie, I barely ever have any cash on me in NZ. Example at the monent there is $5NZD/$50AUD in my Wallet.
Old May 14, 2011, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
One possible answer may be that in HQ they have run out of ideas with their product of how to generate additional money and have done something that is very simple. As someone said, they need to decide the business they are in. It is fast becoming RyANZair.
Old May 14, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: AirNZ Koru
That's crap! I'm interested to know where this sudden increase came from, because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cost that much to use a credit card. If this is another way AirNZ can make up for money lost because of the petrol hike it should really be added onto tickets, but then again I think they've added enough on. However, they are still 50c cheaper per flight than jetstar
Old May 14, 2011, 2:30 am

Programs: AirNZ Koru
Wink

I can't afford GAS $1 flights any more :O!
Old May 14, 2011, 3:02 am

Programs: NZ*S & Koru, QF, VA, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
The problem with your logic in claiming a counter argument, is that its my understanding that the high fees that the EFTPOS banks (ANZ, Commonwealth..etc) charge their retailers to process credit card transactions are unique to Australia/NZ, therefore there's no need to force the charges to be transparent to the end consumer in the US or Europe.
And these high charges are exactly why the regulators have slammed the banks by allowing businesses to pass on the charges, the rules here used to be the same as what you are describing in the US etc. Anyway personally I use my credit cards whenever possible so actually completely agree it's annoying when you can't, I just do understand some of the thinking behind the change. And as you describe, I've also been caught short at gas stations in the states where the card price was much, much higher than the cash price.

I really liked the "nothing to hide" phase Air NZ went through - the approach appealed to me and I was prepared to spend extra with them on the basis that everything was included. My impression is that many here had similar thoughts. Sadly, it seems that there weren't enough of us for it to be deemed successful, so there's another strategy now in operation. I/we may not like it, but they hardly seem to be alone in looking for ways to generate extra revenue - example: with no status, I was surprised to be asked to pay $20 each way to select seats for QF flights across the Tasman next week, and here I thought I was on a full service carrier. Sigh.
Old May 14, 2011, 4:13 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by samnz
I really liked the "nothing to hide" phase Air NZ went through - the approach appealed to me and I was prepared to spend extra with them on the basis that everything was included.
+1
Old May 14, 2011, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
......I really liked the "nothing to hide" phase Air NZ went through - the approach appealed to me and I was prepared to spend extra with them on the basis that everything was included. My impression is that many here had similar thoughts. Sadly, it seems that there weren't enough of us for it to be deemed successful, so there's another strategy now in operation. I/we may not like it, but they hardly seem to be alone in looking for ways to generate extra revenue - example: with no status, I was surprised to be asked to pay $20 each way to select seats for QF flights across the Tasman next week, and here I thought I was on a full service carrier. Sigh.
It's funny, but I have a very small part time business and I get people spending more with me, and in fact offering me more, because there is nothing hidden, everything is included (and in fact I add extras that I know my competitors charge for). And they keep coming back to the point where I have to turn them away. It really is not rocket salad how to treat a customer but it is something that the entire world has lost sight of in the relentless quest to "make the numbers". The pressures are enormous on people to do so and they react in some of the most unfathomable ways possible. Lord only knows what is being taught in the schools these days but I am not impressed with their approach. More often the only justification is "because we can". Unless people vote with their feet then it will not change. The fact that people buy it, unfortunately, gives them "proof" that what they did was the right thing. And then it is on to the next daft thing.
Old May 14, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It's funny, but I have a very small part time business and I get people spending more with me, and in fact offering me more, because there is nothing hidden, everything is included (and in fact I add extras that I know my competitors charge for). And they keep coming back to the point where I have to turn them away. It really is not rocket salad how to treat a customer but it is something that the entire world has lost sight of in the relentless quest to "make the numbers". The pressures are enormous on people to do so and they react in some of the most unfathomable ways possible. Lord only knows what is being taught in the schools these days but I am not impressed with their approach. More often the only justification is "because we can". Unless people vote with their feet then it will not change. The fact that people buy it, unfortunately, gives them "proof" that what they did was the right thing. And then it is on to the next daft thing.
Theinew model of filling the plane up at all costs, rather than enticing ppl to come back again an again maybe working now; but, it is short sighted and may not necessaraly work in 6-12 months time.
Old May 14, 2011, 1:40 pm

I was surprised to be asked to pay $20 each way to select seats for QF flights across the Tasman next week, and here I thought I was on a full service carrier. Sigh.
NZ sort of charges extra to select a seat on the TT aswell, Its $50 to buy up to the works to be able to select a seat without status.

Also on domestic it can range from $40-100 more to purchase a fare that can select a seat
Old May 14, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
NZ sort of charges extra to select a seat on the TT aswell, Its $50 to buy up to the works to be able to select a seat without status.

Also on domestic it can range from $40-100 more to purchase a fare that can select a seat
True but also with QF when OLCI opens up for international then you can select a seat without the charge.
Old May 14, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Not sure about the problems with Australia: I've just spent a week in Melbourne and used less than $80 cash (which is what I arrived with). I do have an Australian EFTPOS card but that wasn't used - just Amex and Mastercard. Yes there were a few places where cash was the only payment method, but the same can be found in NZ if you don't have an NZ EFTPOS card. Since I don't typically carry my NZ or Australian EFTPOS cards with me when I'm in either country, I do resort to cash (yay for banks with free international withdrawals) and find that in a typical week it's <$50 spent in cash/EFTPOS only locations.

The card payment surcharges that a hotel and a pub charged me, on the other hand, were rather ridiculous... Just like the airline's charges...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.