Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating requests cannot be guaranteed?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2011, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Seating requests cannot be guaranteed?

Hello All - hoping for your input on this. How often has Air New Zealand changed your seating assignment from those originally booked? I can see getting bumped from the bulkhead to make way for a baby but how about in Bizo?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:58 pm

Programs: air nz
Only ever had one changed but on seat only.
Old May 4, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I am Elite and got moved on a paid biz premier ticket yesterday. Only one seat so no big deal but it can happen.
Old May 5, 2011, 3:43 am

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
Never ever had any real problems with seat changes. Happened once or twice but it was a situation I was ok with -keeping an older lady with her granddaughter. Change was made on board.

The airline will always say something like 'your seat request is noted but not confirmed'. I suppose they just need to throw that it in case (for whatever reason- families kept together, ill passenger, etc etc) the staff at check in have to tinker with things.
Old May 5, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
I had my seat changed on an LAX-Auckland flight. I was moved further back in economy, and that didn't make me very happy. They notified me in the lounge, and then they told me that they were going to block the seat next to me so that I wouldn't have anyone next to me. That more than made up for the change (which was to ensure a family sat together).
Old May 5, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand NZ*S
Have been moved from 2EF on Domestic for Politicians, they are their favorite seats as well
Old May 5, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: NZ GE and EK Skywards
We are a family of 4 (sometimes 5) that fly together a lot. We are all either GE or G status. Months ago we booked 4A 4K 5A 5K, just so the kids (who are very competent flyers, but still kids) were across the aisle from us and we could easily communicate with them throughout the flight should the need arise. Akld- Melb return last week.
I complained after the boarding passes had been issued and explained that I had intentionally selected those seats and why. At first the boarding agent said she couldn't help us, and then reluctantly gave us 5A 5K 6A 6K. With the big gallery/table in the middle we still couldn't see each other, but it was better than being in one long line.
I could perhaps understand it if, we had been late checking in etc, but if anything we were very early.
Old May 5, 2011, 6:44 pm

I'm a little confused - did they change your seat selections, and if so, to what?

Originally Posted by kiwigirl2
We are a family of 4 (sometimes 5) that fly together a lot. We are all either GE or G status. Months ago we booked 4A 4K 5A 5K, just so the kids (who are very competent flyers, but still kids) were across the aisle from us and we could easily communicate with them throughout the flight should the need arise. Akld- Melb return last week.
I complained after the boarding passes had been issued and explained that I had intentionally selected those seats and why. At first the boarding agent said she couldn't help us, and then reluctantly gave us 5A 5K 6A 6K. With the big gallery/table in the middle we still couldn't see each other, but it was better than being in one long line.
I could perhaps understand it if, we had been late checking in etc, but if anything we were very early.
Old May 5, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints
Originally Posted by birder
I'm a little confused - did they change your seat selections, and if so, to what?
4A/K and 5A/K ---> 5A/K and 6A/K
Old May 5, 2011, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by skyglow1
4A/K and 5A/K ---> 5A/K and 6A/K
That was what the boarding agent "reluctantly" gave her after being pressured. I was wondering what they moved her to in the first place.
Old May 5, 2011, 8:19 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by birder
That was what the boarding agent "reluctantly" gave her after being pressured. I was wondering what they moved her to in the first place.
kiwigirl2 wrote "one long line", so I am guessing something like 4A 5A 6A 7A.
Old May 5, 2011, 10:27 pm

I was moved at check in from 3F to 2D on a trans-Tasman A320 flight, which was no biggie since 2D had better legroom!
Old May 6, 2011, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks all!
Old May 6, 2011, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by yyz-kin
Hello All - hoping for your input on this. How often has Air New Zealand changed your seating assignment from those originally booked?
Certainly on services that are not operated by wide-body aircraft, it has been getting harder to get the seats wanted 'made available'.
Old May 6, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: NZ GE and EK Skywards
Originally Posted by ajnz
kiwigirl2 wrote "one long line", so I am guessing something like 4A 5A 6A 7A.
Yes you're right. Sorry I didn't explain myself very well.
The boarding passes we had issued at check in had us in 4A 5A 6A 7A.
Couldn't really understanding her reasoning for doing this, as we were early and those other seats had long ago been allocated to us.
My kids are 9 and 12 and don't call out during flights or really need much attention from us at all, but she wasn't to know that, and as a parent I was thinking more of the other passengers too.
You never know when something unexpected will crop up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.