Community
Wiki Posts
Search

777-300 ER mini-reviews

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Have any of you that have experienced the new PE, experienced the old as well?
I am curious for a comparison between the two.

At 6'4", I am not liking what I am reading so far about the new PE.

It is sounding a little gimmicky and innovative for the sake of it, as opposed to being entirely functional.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have experinced PE on the 772 and the 744. (744 better as seats are wider)

I was waiting in LAX T2 customs/immigration and overhead some discussions about the lack of space for feet when in comparison. I am yet to experience the new PE, but can fully understand.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Originally Posted by serfty
I have experinced PE on the 772 and the 744. (744 better as seats are wider)
All the PE seats on the 772 are 3 across. On the 744 there is 2 across seating in the downstairs cabin and also on the JK side of the upper cabin. This is a great advantage imo and I'm going to miss the 744.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taupo
Have any of you that have experienced the new PE, experienced the old as well?
I have. Quite a few times upstairs on the 747 long-haul, a few more times upstairs and once in the mini-cabin downstairs TT, and a couple of TT sectors on the 772.
I am curious for a comparison between the two.
I'd now rank the D and F 773 seats above all others, because you could be assured no-one would be climbing over you, irrespective of row. If I had to have a window seat I reckon I'd go with the K seats upstairs on the 747. The 3 across in the 772 and ABC seats upstairs on the 747 rank last. The AB and JK 773 seats, 747 mini-cabin, and H seats upstairs on the 747 are all somewhere in the middle. But, I rank them that way because I'm not tall.

At 6'4", I am not liking what I am reading so far about the new PE.
And if I was 6'4" I wouldn't either. The 747 mini-cabin, HK upstairs on the 747, and the 772 exit rows would all be a better choice than any seat on the 773. IMHO.
It is sounding a little gimmicky and innovative for the sake of it, as opposed to being entirely functional.
The privacy innovation is actually top-notch; with the cacoon feel and herringbone layout being a real step-up. The every-seat-a-bulkhead innovation is a step back.

So I stand by my earlier comments. The 773 PE remains no J, but it sure beats the heck out of Y. For everyone except the tall!
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:27 am

Programs: NZ GE and EK Skywards
Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
It's on the remote, in the side of the armrest.
Thanks for that kiwibigdave. To be honest I never found it. But even if I had I probably wouldn't have used it. Would have felt too guilty. The FA's had enough on their plates as it was. They really were trying hard, and I felt for them.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by kiwigirl2
Route: Lax to Auckland

Day/Night flight: Night. NZ 5 departed 10pm.

Cabin/Seat no: 25 E&D adults in 'couples seating' and kids in 24 A&B in individual seats on left hand side. Weird seat numbering. Reccomend family traveling together to check seat map to ensure they are seated together. We were originally all in row 24, but this would have left the kids seated opposite strangers not us.

My hubby and I really enjoyed our seats. By leaving the padded table between us down, we gained extra room between us. Made things feel very spacious. Of course this feature wasnt available for our girls seated in A&B.

Downside. The tilt mechanism is a complete pain!!! Everyone we talked to had problems. The kids simply couldnt put their seat back without help and it took me 5 attempts to sort mine out. Then after all the fiddling around, it was kind of like "is that it???" Not as much recline as I had anticipated or wished for.
Also the pocket in front is tight and tiny. Thinking of bringing that thick paperback book to read on a long haul flight and storing it there....I think not.

Legroom: We arent 6 foot tall so had plenty of room. Just took a bit to get used to being slightly angled to the side. For couples in the middle this means you are angled away from each other. If you want to turn and talk to each other you should put the padded table up between you and swivel your legs under it, coz theres simply no room otherwise. ie Gone are the days of putting your feet under the seat in front.
We thought the beanbag foot rest was a nice touch.

FA Attentiveness: Brilliant. Couldn't have been better. Went around each passenger as plane filled and answered questions and explained different features. Were very apologetic when meals etc were late. Explained they were still getting used to the new systems. Quite understandable I thought.

AVOD: Looks amazing. I think it will be a huge improvement on the old system. Unfortunately we didn't get the full effect as it wasn't working properly. The Games feature didn't work at all, much to my kids despair and neither did the Airshow or the newest feature My Flight. Very disappointing. Especially on such a long flight. We also didn't know how to turn the jolly thing off, as it was a touch screen we assumed you would turn it off on the screen somewhere, but couldnt see how. After trying to sleep with it shining in my face for several hours, I finally asked a FA who didn't know himself. Discovered the off button was located in the control panel beside my shoulder, that was forgotten under my pillow. Probably quite logical really, but considering we had been travelling for days at this stage, our brains had become mush I think.

Meals: Very late arriving. Both kids had well and truly fallen asleep. Huge delays between starter and hot meals. At least an hour if not more. Ran out of cutlery at one stage. Believe they went to Economy searching for more.
At breakfast my hubby had his rubber placemat, and cutlery removed after the fruit and yoghurt was finished with. We were surprised at this and thought the meal was small if this was all there was. Another FA came along 10 mins later and asked why no one wanted more as there was still a hot meal for breakfast to come. Was put into a bit of a 'flap' when realised someone had mistakenly taken everything away from quite a few passengers. This of course coursed another delay and everything was replaced.

Drinks: Were only offered 2 during the flight (with meals). As my AVOD wasn't working couldn't order more on demand.

Bassinetts: A close friend was travelling with her 3 month old child in PE. She was exhausted as had been travelling for many hours before this flight. FA unable to locate a basinett for her.
Bit of an oversight. Spend first 2 hrs trying to settle her son on a pillow beside her, but was really concerned that it wasnt safe. Eventually took her through to Business and settled them on a flat bed together.

Final thoughts: Would we do it again? Yes. Sure they have some problems to tweek and iron out, but give them a couple of weeks, and things will be perfect I'm sure. Much superior product to the old PE seats. Have to remember this is an economy product, not business.
Thanks for this! Whats the 'My Flight' feature on the AVOD?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brenrox
Thanks for this! Whats the 'My Flight' feature on the AVOD?
It gives a timeline for the availability of various services during your flight. It can be used as an aide in planning how to spend your 12/13 hours.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Cool

Originally Posted by RandyNZ
Welcome to FT, rowingman, and thanks for the trip report!

Did you notice whether people in the A/B and J/K seats had to climb over each other to access the aisle? Did those seats on the sides seem to give a sense of privacy for pax?

I liked your comment about the lady being a contortionist - I must admit that it crossed my mind that my neighbour may not like me doing that!
yes, there was quite a bit of climbing and aisle passenger coming out of their seat. the window seats are both perpedicular to the exterior, and in some cases canted (unsure how one could tell this from the ANZ seat map on the website, but the two on the window side seats are not all the same, so be careful what you book). a couple on the window seats next to me had a tough time reclining their seat, which brought a flight attendent to working with the A seat to get it to move. this obviously required the aisle person to get up. but similarly, when she wanted to get out, her mate had to get up as well.

as for whether you allow your neighbor to reenact the photo on the ANZ advertising, i would imagine it all depends on what your neighbor looks like and how friendly she might be......

honestly, next time i will work harder for a J seat on either ANZ or Qantas. the novelty of this for me was a one time thing i won't repeat. Virgin Atlantic's PE seat is (a) simpler and (b) more comfortable.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 1:44 am

Is advance request for Row 23 on the 77W (Premium Economy bulkhead) restricted at all or is it necessary to book a long way in advance for these seats?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:28 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Some photos of the narrow aisles on Airliners.net

777 Y - http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-N...-ER/1859076/L/
777 Y+ - http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-N...-ER/1859077/L/
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:42 am

I'd be interested in "row 23" experiences too...

That is where the bassinets are so having the row greyed out on the website makes sense... but if they are not "needed" how does one request such a seat?

Wait until check in/lounge?

Call xx days in advance?

Have never wanted "bulkhead" seats before so I have no idea....
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:45 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Rebound
yes very narrow aisle in Y, get ready for lots of bumps in the night esp from those who seem to like to bang into every seat as they head of to the toielt

that said in your pic it shows the 57B (the first of the 3 paired sears down the back) - which might be the go for those of us at the back
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:48 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by trooper
I'd be interested in "row 23" experiences too...

That is where the bassinets are so having the row greyed out on the website makes sense... but if they are not "needed" how does one request such a seat?

Wait until check in/lounge?

Call xx days in advance?

Have never wanted "bulkhead" seats before so I have no idea....
23 D and F have the advantage you can extend your legs out into the aisle, there should be little through trafic
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experince with being allocated a PE seat and what's available on AirNZ.co.nz and Expertflyer show that (in my case at least) if a seat in row 23 on the 773 is unavailable for selection then it has indeed been allocated.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Is advance request for Row 23 on the 77W (Premium Economy bulkhead) restricted at all or is it necessary to book a long way in advance for these seats?
I had no probs selecting 23D/E for flights in Jun (works x1, seat-only x 2).

gave them up in preference for seats further aft after hearing issues with stowing IFE screens prior to arrival. TK family is all under 1.7m, so leg room not an issue........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.