Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Australia/Pacific Island structure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by futaris
Are there any other Star Alliance fares/flights that don't include luggage?
Have to pay extra for luggage on many fares for CO, US, UA domestic US flights. Elite members (including star silver and star gold members) get checked luggage included free of charge - as if any elite members check luggage in the US anyway (!)

Originally Posted by anat01
would hope the same will hold for *G for the NZ Trans-Tasman services. *S may not be so fortunate.?
Depends if they think they are competing with DJ or JQ (is that what the world's come to?) For travel on lowest DJ fares - both silver and gold velocity members get free checked luggage. On the lowest JQ fares no-one gets free checked luggage.

Last edited by lokijuh; Mar 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Aerosett
Aah, but then you'd have to put up with LA's flight times and lousy frequency.

Plus their J catering ex SYD is pretty Y in nature
I beg to differ. LA AKL-SYD is very well timed for AKL-based people. SYD-AKL not so well timed.

LA catering in J is much better than Y (on any airline trans-tasman). The complaints are about lack of substance, not the quality. There is usually a couple of really good wines to distract oneself from the meal being a sandwich.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Plus with LAN J, you have breakie in the QP, then sleep most of the way to SYD. That sounds alot better than being rammed into a a320
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:51 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Now, NZ has completely lost it

I also think they market themselves as a premium airline. By now cutting out J on the connecting flights to US/Asia from Australia they basically send mixed messages to their customers. Who in their right mind would purchase a J fare to the US via AKL and then suffer through 3.5h of economy??? Right now I can't see that they made any changes on the SYD-AKL route for later this year. Most of the flights are 320 and will have Y only.

If Space+ goes, so will my business with NZ...Period...

Yes, my business also only pays for Y travel sadly. However, as they only book the cheapest fare I would now end up in just a seat with NZ and would have to pay for everything out of my pocket if I wanted e.g. extra space or extra food. I don't even earn miles for the flights. So, why would I fly NZ in the future? I'd rather get on QF, earn miles, get food and lounge access.

I think from a marketing perspective NZ has done the worst they can to damage their brand. This no longer is an airline with a consistent product. Why try to be two things at once? It doesn't work.

It's sad to see this development...
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Sydfly
I also think they market themselves as a premium airline. By now cutting out J on the connecting flights to US/Asia from Australia they basically send mixed messages to their customers. Who in their right mind would purchase a J fare to the US via AKL and then suffer through 3.5h of economy???
BNE, SYD, MEL (& PER in one direction) have widebody flights which connect to/from most of the longhaul flights, and thus will still have business class. I'd be very surprised if that doesn't continue - there are a lot of connecting Australia passengers, particularly on the North America flights.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:30 am

Programs: NZ Silver
KF raises a good point

that I think many are missing. NZ are not cutting Buisness class completly to Aus - They still have 777, 767 and occasional 747 servicing aus and I'm sure if NZ has any intellegence, these will operate to best suit the buisness traveller.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:04 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Sydfly
I'd rather get on QF, earn miles, get food and lounge access.
Until they downgrade more services to Jetstar. Wonder what their strategic response will be - 1) Great lets snare the biz market 2) Great lets get Jetstar to operate more AKL & WLG flights.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:09 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
What a crappy downgrade.

There are six Quuensland-based Gold Elites in my family. We now have to fly during working hours on NZ135/6 BNE-AKL if we want a proper product on flights to the Pacific via AKL.

And if we want to continue to fly long-haul from our local airport OOL to the USA and UK we have to fly the first and last sectors in Economy?

Its goodbye Air NZ, hello V Australia from us. I'm going to contact Velocity on Monday to see whether they will status match us, as Air NZ no longer meets our needs.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:13 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
BNE, SYD, MEL (& PER in one direction) have widebody flights which connect to/from most of the longhaul flights, and thus will still have business class. I'd be very surprised if that doesn't continue - there are a lot of connecting Australia passengers, particularly on the North America flights.
Yes Kiwiflyer, but I always take the Saturday morning AKL-HNL flight, and can work in Queensland on Friday because I take the evening BNE-AKL or OOL-AKL flight.

From now on, I can only fly Business Class if I take an extra day off work.

No thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:33 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by brenrox
that I think many are missing. NZ are not cutting Buisness class completly to Aus - They still have 777, 767 and occasional 747 servicing aus and I'm sure if NZ has any intellegence, these will operate to best suit the buisness traveller.
Except New Zealand exists south of the Bombay Hills. Either that, or Air NZ thinks there is no business travellers outside of Auckland.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:37 am

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Until they downgrade more services to Jetstar. Wonder what their strategic response will be - 1) Great lets snare the biz market 2) Great lets get Jetstar to operate more AKL & WLG flights.
The fearless leader at QF has stated there will be no more JQ taking over QF routes. Of course, it doesn't stop them from doing what they've done to CHC. Ultimately, it's just words, so who knows.

I'm hoping QF will take Option 1, but I suspect Option 2 will eventuate.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:45 am

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
I read this as suggesting that the new approach will be trialled on CHC-SYD, and gives NZ the flexibility to change things before a full roll-out. That seems sensible.

Our new products will be progressively rolled out for sales from May 2010. Travel will commence from Christchurch to Sydney in August 2010 with additional routes to follow.
As *G I'd be quite happy to buy seat + bag, and have a better meal in the lounge before the flight.

But like others I wonder why the removal of Space+.

I note also that only the movies are pay per view, even with seat you still get access to games, music, tv.

Indeed if you're a business traveler going to Australia for the day or overnight, seat might be a great option. Though the 32" pitch will make the laptop usage a bit more difficult.

Would be nice if they offered power in the seats like will be doing on longhaul.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:18 am

Programs: QF Gold
They're going to have to deliver on those meals now if they're effectively charging for the privilege. J meals perhaps?
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:35 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Removal of Space+ is still my biggest problem, i am happy to fly Y trans-tasman as Space+ is very comfortable, not too fussed about a meal but something lite is fine (what they have currently) and the IFE is fine for short hops, i usually just have the airshow on and listen to some music.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:42 am

Location: Wellington/Dunedin/Auckland/Africa/Pacific Islands/Geneva
Programs: NZ*E
I had this sent to me for those interested....

http://www.4shared.com/file/24446036.../Matariki.html

Short video explaining the new service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.