Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand new longhaul experience - beds in economy. November 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand new longhaul experience - beds in economy. November 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Unfortunately, that www.futuretakingflight.com website advertised in the video requires a username and password to log in....I don't suppose anyone here can let us all know what further info we may be missing out on there?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Very brief summary (I'll post more later).

Economy 3-4-3 and 2-4-2 (with the 2 as sky couch).

Sky couch - buy 2.5 seats to get 3 together which form a couch suitable for sleeping (if you are small and like the other person quite well). 22 of these on 777-300.

Other economy seats more minor changes (improvements) and will have 33" pitch.

Premium economy will be more like business lite than economy extra. 2 different designs - one for couples (centre section) and the other (outer sections) for singles. 2-2-2.

Business only minor changes.

Some changes to IFE (eg order food & drink through it), and meals (cooking rather than re-heating).

I'm happy to answer questions to the extent I can.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 26, 2010 at 11:54 am
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: NZ*E,SQ ,QF IC AMB Plat, hltn gold
BP

my thoughts:
Nothing has been done regards the BP issue that keeps getting raised, of couples flying together and what about looking out the window (if thats important ) This was a good product anyway by and large. Oh and what about screen size , i was looking at soem other carriers for a LH to Germany in april and many have screen sizes much larger than NZ , was this mentioned?
PE "looks good" (no footreast??)and will be the hot money and will be the earner in the changes. For those who commented about UG to PE u can bet that this will be tricky as these seats will sell well and UG will take some time to settle in until its across the fleet. Also you can see companys saying ok no more BP take PE?
Economy , somewhere in the articles it says it doesnt go flat , it has some humps due the shape of the seats or simial , ever tried sleeping where there are "bumps " in your back etc.

I like the idea of the on demand service but there are gunna have to be rules surely , you going to have all of economy pushing there screens all day long , the "novelty" will take a long time to wear off , maybe i have that wrong but lest just say 50% of the pax wnat a toastie in the middle of the night....all ordereing say 3 hours after meal time or whatever. hmmm there are some logistics etc. am i a stick in the mud??

In a article i read the other day they also talked about "connectivity" i go along with no phones but they were talking about email and net coverage , i havent seen anything about that?

It would have been great if they could have introduced the 787 and the 777 at the same time with this product which also brings me to the question will the 787 be three class.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:37 pm

Wonder if *G and NZ Elites will have priority on the skycouches.

Premium Economy looks much better than other Premium Economy options. Should be one of the better options trans-tasman.

Business Premium looks much the same... Hope that they add cameras so that those in BP can view outside, etc.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:38 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Interesting stuff! Well done AirNZ for taking a genuinely fresh look at long haul cabins. ^

The Y class skycouch is a great, simple idea. If you haven't paid the extra for the couch but manage to score a row with sufficient empty seats anyway, presumably you can get the skycouch for free? Or does it need to be somehow "unlocked"? I wonder how they will manage seating assignments - might elites get extra seats blocked automatically? Does this mean solo passengers who don't want to pay the extra might find it hard to get window seats?

Biz prem doesn't look too different - interesting reversal of most recent trends which have seen most focus on improving biz/first classes. However biz prem was not particularly in need of hard product improvement. I'm not sure I like the very dark and sombre colour scheme as much as the current browns/blues though.

Where I'm most left wanting of more info is the premium economy seats and product. How much do they recline, and what is the seat pitch like? Does the herringbone arrangement of the middle seats mean that your feet are poking out into the aisle? What does "Otto" the beanbag footrest look like, and just how much elevation/support can it provide for feet/legs? What if you're in one of the middle seat pairs with a stranger rather than a friend/partner you want to "snuggle" with - are there privacy shields you can raise? And how are the outboard pairs of seats arranged to provide privacy for singles? I'd love to see a seat plan to see how that would work. And what of the food/drink for premium economy - they are talking of tapas etc but no longer mentioning a shared food/beverage service with business class, so does that mean a simpler meal service?

So many questions!
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Unfortunately, that www.futuretakingflight.com website advertised in the video requires a username and password to log in....I don't suppose anyone here can let us all know what further info we may be missing out on there?
There's nothing much there beyond the video, but there was a counter pointing to a website update in around 5 days time. Not sure why it's locked now.

The video can be found here:

Air New Zealand new long-haul experience. Taking flight from Nov 2010
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Business only minor changes.

Some changes to IFE (eg order food & drink through it), and meals (cooking rather than re-heating).

I'm happy to answer questions to the extent I can.
Some press coverage makes mention of wine tasting and destination seminars - any further details on this, is this a Business cabin only proposition?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by rich5011
Oh and what about screen size , i was looking at soem other carriers for a LH to Germany in april and many have screen sizes much larger than NZ , was this mentioned?
Screen size in economy is 2" bigger. Not sure about premium economy and business.

PE "looks good" (no footreast??)and will be the hot money and will be the earner in the changes. For those who commented about UG to PE u can bet that this will be tricky as these seats will sell well and UG will take some time to settle in until its across the fleet. Also you can see companys saying ok no more BP take PE?
PE gets a bean bag for footrest! Hard to tell from the mock-up whether footwell in the back of the seat in front will be big enough to actually use the bean bag. Assume so.

Economy , somewhere in the articles it says it doesnt go flat , it has some humps due the shape of the seats or simial , ever tried sleeping where there are "bumps " in your back etc.
The seatback when sitting upright is sculptured like current, but arm rests go fully up (both regular seats and the sky couch seats). The pop up bit which converts to make the couch you lie on can be seat for each seat individually so is not perfectly flat but isn't bad.

I like the idea of the on demand service but there are gunna have to be rules surely , you going to have all of economy pushing there screens all day long , the "novelty" will take a long time to wear off , maybe i have that wrong but lest just say 50% of the pax wnat a toastie in the middle of the night....all ordereing say 3 hours after meal time or whatever. hmmm there are some logistics etc. am i a stick in the mud??
VX already has this - what do they do on the trans-continental routes?

It would have been great if they could have introduced the 787 and the 777 at the same time with this product which also brings me to the question will the 787 be three class.
Yes.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:57 pm

Given the uselessness of "fitted" footrests for so many people, I think "Otto" is a good idea.. in theory. Have to see how big it is first to really comment!

Don't like the white/cream seats.. as I think they'll look old before their time... but that's a personal preference so never mind...

The herringbone config for Y+ looks like a nice efficient use of space... and PAIRS of seats only!!! ^

mad atta... With only the first 11 rows on each SIDE to be the "SkyCouch" I suspect they'll all be sold! If not one would hope (no doubt selfishly) that Elites would get first look in if there were any banks of those 3 going spare!!!

Given the seat numbers in each class one might hope that upgrade clearance rates will not change significantly??? Or am I being super naive there?

Only 2 questions so far:

Can I have a pizza in BP??

WHEN IS THE INAUGURAL?????

(Never been on one.... would quite like to make this one my inaugural... inaugural... Yes, yes, I know it's not a new aircraft.. but as a passenger I must say I am more interested in the inside anyway!)

Last edited by trooper; Jan 25, 2010 at 5:03 pm
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by mad_atta
The Y class skycouch is a great, simple idea. If you haven't paid the extra for the couch but manage to score a row with sufficient empty seats anyway, presumably you can get the skycouch for free? Or does it need to be somehow "unlocked"? I wonder how they will manage seating assignments - might elites get extra seats blocked automatically? Does this mean solo passengers who don't want to pay the extra might find it hard to get window seats?
11 rows of sky couches, so should still be plenty of window seats. However on higher load flights (which NZ hopes to be most), I would expect it to be harder for elites to get blocked middle seat - they will be saved for people paying the extra money first.

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Where I'm most left wanting of more info is the premium economy seats and product. How much do they recline, and what is the seat pitch like? Does the herringbone arrangement of the middle seats mean that your feet are poking out into the aisle? What does "Otto" the beanbag footrest look like, and just how much elevation/support can it provide for feet/legs? What if you're in one of the middle seat pairs with a stranger rather than a friend/partner you want to "snuggle" with - are there privacy shields you can raise? And how are the outboard pairs of seats arranged to provide privacy for singles? I'd love to see a seat plan to see how that would work. And what of the food/drink for premium economy - they are talking of tapas etc but no longer mentioning a shared food/beverage service with business class, so does that mean a simpler meal service?

So many questions!
Okay lots of questions. I'll answer some, but others unanswered.

They are shell seats and recline by the base moving forward within the shell. As such, pitch is not massive but (on the mockup at least) better than current premium economy.

Feet angle into a footwell on the seat in front. If you have particularly long legs then yes they would stick out into the aisle. Alternatively you can lean against the other side of the shell to angle towards the space created in the middle between the seats.

Beanbag is "to save people using their briefcase to prop their feet upon". Not much elevation.

For the centre seats, no privacy shields but reasonable amount of space in between and natural seating position is to face outwards towards the aisle. I think it would be fine sitting with a stranger.

For the outer seats the shells are slightly offset so a very mini privacy wall.

For food they didn't get into specifics other than cooked vs reheated, and this will mean lighter, healthier food.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:03 pm

Programs: NZ*E,SQ ,QF IC AMB Plat, hltn gold
why is it that everyone wants to put there legs up on the men when there relaxing , in the day and age shouldnt it be equality , the video show us as typically subservientt males eg "doorstops"
Just kidding
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Aerosett
Some press coverage makes mention of wine tasting and destination seminars - any further details on this, is this a Business cabin only proposition?
I'm guessing wine tasting limited to business and premium economy since regular economy neither has huge wine selection nor excessively personalised service.

The destination seminars are part of making IFE more accessible. Less focus on movies and shows and more on information and other entertainment (youtube clips mentioned).

---

I forgot to say that the pink dresses were on show. They are hideous (and I don't like the pinstripe jacket either).
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by trooper
Don't like the white/cream seats.. as I think they'll look old before their time... but that's a personal preference so never mind...
Mockup isn't necessarily the final colours. The interior themes are "dark purple ink and chalk". Hmm someone has been paying a visit to VX!

Originally Posted by trooper
The herringbone config for Y+ looks like a nice efficient use of space... and PAIRS of seats only!!! ^
Yes - these are vastly better than the current premium economy. Be interesting to see what this does to fares (and upgrades).
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks for the updates, Kiwi Flyer, much appreciated.

I wish AirNZ would provide a link to a comprehensive set of photos - maybe that's coming soon. In the meantime, the Wall Street Journal blog has a photo I hadn't seen elsewhere, which shows particularly clearly how the skycouch works:
http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2010...n-to-make-bed/
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

That pic overstates the amount of space. Notice (1) the row in front is not reclined, and (2) the people in the picture are rather short.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.