Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weird tax inconsistency on awards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2007, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Weird tax inconsistency on awards

Simultaneously searched on Delta.com and Airfrance.us for a round-trip reward ticket in C from JFK-KBP.

DL shows a few more flight availabilities, which I would expect.

However, when I pick the same exact flights on the same exact days, the taxes using AF miles for the DL flight are $193.20 (actually, $69.20 in taxes and $124 in "fees") ... while from DL directly they are $26.

Seems inconsistent that AF would collect taxes (and fees) on behalf of Delta that Delta itself doesn't charge.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
Seems inconsistent that AF would collect taxes (and fees) on behalf of Delta that Delta itself doesn't charge.
Probably not that inconsistent, as I fully expect the same will happen for a paid ticket. US-based carriers don't do the fuel surcharge nonsense (at least not ex-US), and include everything except real taxes / airport charges etc. in the base fare. But in case the flight is sold by another carrier as a code-share, they can happily charge their fuel surcharge
Old Jul 9, 2007, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
is the search function broken?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=703757
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:23 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Well, I just looked for a one-way YYZ-AMS and they charged €26 taxes. Return was in the €5X region I believe. That is not that much
Old Jul 10, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
I had the same experience comparing an award ticket on CO flights, roundtrip EWR/CDG, from airfrance.us greater than $200 tax and fees, on continental.com, less than $50. same flight, same american carrier... still don;t understand why airfrance is charging so much!
Old Jul 13, 2007, 8:30 am

Unhappy

I've just attempted to book 1 return trip economy ticket on Qantas between Perth, Australia and Sydney, Australia using 25,000 Flying Blue Miles. Flying Blus quoted taxes on the reward ticket of 462 Australian Dollars!! (290euro/400usd)

Can this be right?! Booking the cheapest flights for the same dates on Qantas' Website cost 490 Australian Dollars (the taxes part being only 118 Australian Dollars). The high taxes quoted by Flying Blue render using the Miles on Qantas virtually pointless!

Thanks,

ephost
Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by ephost
I've just attempted to book 1 return trip economy ticket on Qantas between Perth, Australia and Sydney, Australia using 25,000 Flying Blue Miles. Flying Blus quoted taxes on the reward ticket of 462 Australian Dollars!! (290euro/400usd)

Can this be right?! Booking the cheapest flights for the same dates on Qantas' Website cost 490 Australian Dollars (the taxes part being only 118 Australian Dollars). The high taxes quoted by Flying Blue render using the Miles on Qantas virtually pointless!

Thanks,

ephost
This is damned ridiculous. QF charges 118 Ozzie dollars in taxes and fees. But Air France charges 462 for the same flight and a free flight to boot ... so obviously it is overcharging either on taxes and/or on "fuel surcharges."

AF is doing the same on CO and DL tickets and charging fuel surcharge fees on behalf of CO and DL that CO and DL THEMSELVES DO NOT CHARGE.

Does anyone know if AF keeps the fuel surcharge for itself (which I think would be thoroughly dishonest), or does it pass them on to QF, CO and DL and the latter just accept this largesse that they themselves do not charge for.

I can understand (although not necessarily condone) an airline charging a fuel surcharge to offset ITS OWN COSTS.

But how does AF have the cojones to charge a fuel surcharge for a flight that it does not operate?

Since it's 14 Juillet in France at this moment, I think we should not only give AF a big raspberry but start chopping off some heads.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 6:46 pm

Thanks for the replies - lucky for me it turns out that the 462AUD quoted for taxes from Flying Blue came from an inept agent. When I called back and got a different person I was given the flights for only 66 euro in taxes (return). Much better! Still at a loss to work out how the initial Flying Blue agent was so confident that the taxes figure of 462AUD was correct!

ephost
Old Jul 18, 2007, 5:01 am

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmboŽ/Oyster/B&Q
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ephost
Thanks for the replies - lucky for me it turns out that the 462AUD quoted for taxes from Flying Blue came from an inept agent. When I called back and got a different person I was given the flights for only 66 euro in taxes (return). Much better! Still at a loss to work out how the initial Flying Blue agent was so confident that the taxes figure of 462AUD was correct!

ephost

Thats one of the problem with AF-they're full of poorly trained yet patronising customer service agents.Tax issues on tickets is a long standing problem.They're frankly pretty hopeless.Its touch and go whether you get someone who knows what they're doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.