Wiki Posts
Search

AF-KL, is this one company or what??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

AF-KL, is this one company or what??

Looking at routings that involve AF, KL, or a combination of both. It turns out that any combination of AF metal with KL metal prices out WAY MORE than a simple AF or KL itinerary. What's going on?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Looking at routings that involve AF, KL, or a combination of both. It turns out that any combination of AF metal with KL metal prices out WAY MORE than a simple AF or KL itinerary. What's going on?
That actually also happens if you mix KL and NW coded flights, if you select the same flights under either KL or NW, the price goes down. I have seen attractive prices for itineraries on both metals, but I think they were still coded on either KL or AF.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:54 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
This was one of the first benefits they advertized after the merge, being able to do one way on AF and one way on KLM without any single way ticket surcharge.
The rules is supposed to be as follow assuming you start by AF and return with KLM:
1/2 of the price of a similar return ticket in the selected class on AF
+
1/2 of the price for a similar return ticket in the selected class on KLM
+ respective TAXES of course

I have been able to use this a few time but only through a travel agent, impossible to price it on line on AF or KLM web site.

I think this is a question we should ask to AF in the sticky.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Adrien
This was one of the first benefits they advertized after the merge, being able to do one way on AF and one way on KLM without any single way ticket surcharge.
The rules is supposed to be as follow assuming you start by AF and return with KLM:
1/2 of the price of a similar return ticket in the selected class on AF
+
1/2 of the price for a similar return ticket in the selected class on KLM
+ respective TAXES of course

I have been able to use this a few time but only through a travel agent, impossible to price it on line on AF or KLM web site.

I think this is a question we should ask to AF in the sticky.
The question is, can you mix&match inbound and outbound between the two (like with KL and NW)?
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:58 pm
TGV

Programs: FB Life Platinum
They are far from being one company.
Just try to book an AMS-CCS ticket on the KLM website

You get the following answer:
"The following errors occurred:
There are no connections available between Amsterdam (Schiphol) and Caracas (Simon Bolivar Airport) which you can book online. Please contact the KLM Service Centre for further assistance."

But there is in fact a solution (since the KL AMS-CCS flight was cancelled some time ago): fly to CDG and take the AF flight (a lot of Dutch passengers are on-board in fact).
You would imagine that when they cancelled the KL flight they would have adapted their website to enable Dutch passengers still be able to go to Venezuela on AFKL !
Old Jan 13, 2006, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
The question is, can you mix&match inbound and outbound between the two (like with KL and NW)?
No it has to be all of the outbound on one and all of the outbound on the other. In effect, you can mix an AF half-fare with a KL half-fare. But the half-fare itself does not normally allow for routing on the other airline.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 9:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So the ultimate question is: when do AF and KL become in practice one airline? Any link to some sort of press statement?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 9:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
No it has to be all of the outbound on one and all of the outbound on the other. In effect, you can mix an AF half-fare with a KL half-fare. But the half-fare itself does not normally allow for routing on the other airline.
Speaking about idiotic high fares for a mix of different carriers: looking at BOS-AMS-CDG-BOS. First leg NW metal, second leg KL, last leg AF or DL. Prices skyhigh. So much for Sky"team".
Old Jan 16, 2006, 10:46 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life
Speaking about idiotic high fares for a mix of different carriers: looking at BOS-AMS-CDG-BOS. First leg NW metal, second leg KL, last leg AF or DL. Prices skyhigh. So much for Sky"team".
you need to try to get a mix of KLM and AF only and price should be down. In the present case everything is handle as single way ticket
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adrien
you need to try to get a mix of KLM and AF only and price should be down. In the present case everything is handle as single way ticket
Tried that and it doesn't help much. To be fair, I am looking at summer fares . Unfortunately, I cannot find anything less than $1300-$1800.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:18 am
Suspended

Tried that and it doesn't help much. To be fair, I am looking at summer fares . Unfortunately, I cannot find anything less than $1300-$1800.
It seems that KL/AF and NW do not necassarily see any reason to run a sale for the summer season so far, not sure, if they will run one...

So the problem is more related to your departure date than the incompability of AF/KL/NW segments...
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Threy
It seems that KL/AF and NW do not necassarily see any reason to run a sale for the summer season so far, not sure, if they will run one...

So the problem is more related to your departure date than the incompability of AF/KL/NW segments...
..then I will not fly KL/NW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.