Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM/Flying Blue - worst customer service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
BA - I believe!

<snip>

If I could book my flight and my upgrade in a single transaction I would probably be quite happy to book a more expensive fare. However, I am not prepared to gamble hundreds of pounds on the odds of maybe getting an upgrade if I am very very lucky.
No believe about it - it's all done in one go as you describe. So you can buy W or T, for the upgrade to J, and know you will get the MFU (miles for upgrade), none of this talking to half the world, only to be told it is not possible

And Aviatrix, you're entirely correct. To get into J on BA, you have to book into premium economy - but give the general price differential between WTP and CW, the quality of BA's long-haul business product, and the fact that you don't have any uncertainty as to whether the upgrade will be possible or not, I'm happy to do that. But I wouldn't like to play the KLM upgrade lottery anymore, despite the fact I used to do it in the past
Old Dec 11, 2005, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jenbel
But I wouldn't like to play the KLM upgrade lottery anymore, despite the fact I used to do it in the past
Same thing here. I used to use my FD miles exclusively on upgrades. Now, I just use my FB miles on web awards C tickets. Result: I no longer buy long-haul tickets on KL, as other airlines will offer me a better return on my spending.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:42 am

Programs: klm pe
web award c???

Originally Posted by NickB
Same thing here. I used to use my FD miles exclusively on upgrades. Now, I just use my FB miles on web awards C tickets. Result: I no longer buy long-haul tickets on KL, as other airlines will offer me a better return on my spending.
web awards c tickets.... am afraid they are a thing of the past... i never see them anymore ex amsterdam.... only web awards y here these days...
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by johan rebel
May I infer from this that you live in the Netherlands? If so, call KLM Consumentenbetrekkingen in Amstelveen on 020-54 59 780. If not, call them anyway. Be polite but insistent.

Welcome to Flyertalk, by the way.

Johan
Thanks Johan,

I have just spoken to them and the lady was very friendly but she was telling me that it was again a problem of Flying Blue. When I told her that I was very unhappy about the new FB programme, the KLM lady said "Ik ben er helemaal mee eens, sinds AF het heeft overgenomen, is het een absolute puinhoop geworden". ("I agree, since AF took if over, it turned into a big mess")

The only thing I can do now is call FB again! This is just ridiculous!

Last edited by gjmv; Dec 12, 2005 at 2:55 am
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yocko
web awards c tickets.... am afraid they are a thing of the past... i never see them anymore ex amsterdam.... only web awards y here these days...
You do get some on AF, though. And one good thing about the new style web awards is that the connecting segment from Europe to the hub (LON/AMS or LON/CDG in my case) seems to create less problem than under FD. I am happy with the GRU-LHR C award tickets that we could get at 1/2 the miles.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
The cleverest airlines are those that realise many customers are prepared to spend more money in exchange for clear, guaranteed benefits. That means getting more income from direct-booking economy passengers for business class seats that would otherwise go empty, be filled with operational upgrades or be sold at a discount through a third-party consolidator using paper tickets. Those same customers aren't prepared to tolerate the existing pot-luck process as described by others here.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

I do agree with the previous post - I would be more than happy to pay extra charge if I knew for sure that I would get the upgrade. The entire process I have witnessed now, was just pot-luck but I think it all ended ok if I may believe the last phonecall I had with FB:

Just a quick update on all of this - I have called FB again today and got a very friendly girl on the phone whom I explained the situation to again. She said she would email KLM requesting the seat and do her best. She would call me back in 1.5 hours if the upgrade was not possible and that no news, was good news.

So this afternoon - about 6 hours later, I still had not heard from her, so I decided to call back and to my amazement the person who picked up this time told me that everything was sorted and they had upgraded my B class to business.

The only strange thing is that I will not get any confirmation about this (which might be normal with the FB program) but they did take FB miles from my FB account. So perhaps it might all work out fine!
Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:20 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Originally Posted by gjmv
The only strange thing is that I will not get any confirmation about this (which might be normal with the FB program) but they did take FB miles from my FB account. So perhaps it might all work out fine!
Well, the fact that they take miles doesn't necessarily mean that it works out fine. Did they assign you a seat? You should then be able to make sure that it is a C seat (enter your reservation reference and name in www.checkmytrip.com).
Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
We'll keep our fingers crossed for you
Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Threy
Exactly, does not make much sense to pay $$$ and lots of miles as well, if a tix in Z ( certainly with some strings attached and not always available, especially ex NL ) is only slightly more expensive.
KL have just increased their S fares to a number of destinations, and simultaneously published new I fares (which, by the way, are not really new. They just replace unpublished Z fares). An example.

AMS-BOS. S Class € 2512, I class € 2199.

I can't really imagine that anybody would be crazy enough to purchase an S fare on the off chance of being permitted to cough up a bunch of miles for an upgrade.

Johan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.