Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award booking cancelled and miles taken

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Award booking cancelled and miles taken

I had my award booking canceled and was unable to see miles in my account. Where should I email? Will i atleast get refund for tax component of the award booking?
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by winiph
I had my award booking canceled and was unable to see miles in my account. Where should I email? Will i atleast get refund for tax component of the award booking?
Can you tell us if you've ever accumulated Flying Blue miles from flying, or if you merely transferred points in from a different (credit card?) loyalty program to make a booking from an otherwise-unused Flying Blue account?

My guess is that your ticket has been cancelled due to suspected fraud, and that you will have to attend an Air France ticket counter to have it released....as has been documented here countless times before.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Booking

Partly I had transferred from my credit card and part was spouse's miles via flying blue family. The nearest office is hundreds of miles away. Will they auto refund the tax component or even that I gone?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:02 am

Programs: FB Gold
Partly I had transferred from my credit card and part was spouse's miles via flying blue family. The nearest office is hundreds of miles away. Will they auto refund the tax component or even that I gone?
I believe governmental taxes are refundable. But you would have to request a refund for that portion.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Booking

Who do I talk to verify and get the refund?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Who do I talk to verify and get the refund?
Call Flying Blue as a first step.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Talked to flying blue agent on the phone who suggest I mail them to mail.audit. I did that couple of days ago but still no reply. Worse case I might be able to get my points back through AMEX, but what about the tax component? Will that be lost?
Old Feb 24, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Hilton Diamond, Sixt Diamond, Hertz Platinum, Amex Centurion
Talked to flying blue agent on the phone who suggest I mail them to mail.audit. I did that couple of days ago but still no reply. Worse case I might be able to get my points back through AMEX, but what about the tax component? Will that be lost?
As far as I know, they can never collect the tax part as a penalty because they collect that on behalf of the government. The tax is only applicable when actually flown (or perhaps flight missed due to fault of the passenger). Certain fees could also qualify for a refund such as fuel surcharge since you’re not using your part of the fuel due to cancellation of the ticket. No matter what they argue about the reason for cancelling the ticket, the taxes and fees refund always have to follow applicable regulations.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
As Irishguy28 suggested AF IT might suspect "fraud".
This might be the case if you recently created your account without taking flights. Also if the "spouse" has a different surname and address.
In the end, you will get some resolution, but it will be slow.
Tax ought to be refundable, but that is usually small and does not include any carrier surcharge.
Note that miles transfers back to AMEX is usually not possible. Even if it is your own AMEX card.
Old Mar 1, 2024, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

I mailed them more than 2 weeks ago, but I still haven't received any reply. I have mailed them the proofs of my identification. Tried calling multiple times, but they just tell me they will escalte.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The inspection is done by an outside specialized firm. As long as they have not concluded their investigation, AF/FB will do nothing.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Its been more than a month now, emailed them multiple times. Called them up a couple of times but havent received any update or email reply. Please advice what should I do?
Old Mar 15, 2024, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You never replied to the question" Can you tell us if you've ever accumulated Flying Blue miles from flying?"

If you never had flying miles in your account, FB dislikes it.
My guess is that they are using a "delaying" tactic to "penalize" you and others in that situation.
Apparently you did not do anything "illegal" if you transferred miles from your own credit card and gifted (expensive) miles from your spouse (hopefully you can prove the family relationship). But, FB makes is hard to use those miles.
Many posters have reported such FB delaying tactics, possibly making you go through hoops . Whether it is legal to do that has apparently not yet been challenged.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Flying blue

Yes I have taken flights from that account before. Its not a new account. Any chance I can expedite the process?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 2:20 am
Flying Blue Director

Send me a PM with details and we’ll take a look.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.