Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Order of importance between passengers (algorithm)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2024, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Order of importance between passengers (algorithm)

Controversial title (I know)! Just the day before departure my in laws got downgraded from J to W because of the change of equipment (772 instead of 77W). Hopefully they got switched to an earlier flight.

They both are Explorer status, and had booked award tickets 2 months in advance (before the cabin was full I assume).

Curious to know why they got kicked out of J instead of other pax. On what criteria passengers are sorted? Status? Paid/reward? Booking class/price?

Anyone knows?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:55 am

Presumably all of the above?
Moreover, EC261 compensation calls for a percentage of the fare so it would make sense for them to downgrade the 'chepaer' tickets, would be interesting to see how they calculate the compensation.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 5:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Ditto
Presumably all of the above?
Moreover, EC261 compensation calls for a percentage of the fare so it would make sense for them to downgrade the 'chepaer' tickets, would be interesting to see how they calculate the compensation.
EC261 would also potentially favor downgrading those connecting NS-CDG/AMS-NS.

Edit: both because of applicability questions (delay would not be covered, but does that Airhelp/OS case also imply anything about downgrades?), but also because the downgrade compensation is proportional to distance of the leg relative to the trip: if doing 2 3k mile legs, one of them being downgraded would result in 2250/6000 of the trip refunded, while someone flying only that leg would get 2250/3000 of their ticket. Connecting traffic is also generally lower yield than non-stop.

Last edited by hhdl; Feb 11, 2024 at 6:04 am
Old Feb 11, 2024, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by hhdl

Edit: both because of applicability questions (delay would not be covered, but does that Airhelp/OS case also imply anything about downgrades?), but also because the downgrade compensation is proportional to distance of the leg relative to the trip: if doing 2 3k mile legs, one of them being downgraded would result in 2250/6000 of the trip refunded, while someone flying only that leg would get 2250/3000 of their ticket. Connecting traffic is also generally lower yield than non-stop.
Of course while EC261 might not apply, many other countries have their own laws which might cover this instead.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingbluealertscom
They both are Explorer status, and had booked award tickets 2 months in advance (before the cabin was full I assume).
Curious to know why they got kicked out of J instead of other pax.
I think you got the answer in your 1st sentence

On what criteria passengers are sorted? Status? Paid/reward? Booking class/price?
No one know exactly but status weighs a lot. Ulti and Plat are never downgraded, in principle (or the very last). Paid vs award ? yes, certainly. Fare ? not sure. Corporate account may play a role too. But you have also many other factors. One example : if you have blocked-seat code-share agreements.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl

difficult to say as TO doesn’t mention what route and how many miles / taxes were paid, or other compensation KL might already have offered.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 3:35 am

Programs: FB
I (plat) recently flew with my 14 year old daughter (exp) from AMS to BHX and she was operationally upgraded and I wasn't. Couldn't make sense of it and kinda tells me the algorithm is a joke or the agent thought I was the joke...
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobTL
difficult to say as TO doesn’t mention what route and how many miles / taxes were paid, or other compensation KL might already have offered.
MIA-CDG-BOD, connecting flight didn't seem to have played any role in that case. I didn't get to talk compensation with AF as they managed to move them back to J on an earlier flight.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Amerrycan
I (plat) recently flew with my 14 year old daughter (exp) from AMS to BHX and she was operationally upgraded and I wasn't. Couldn't make sense of it and kinda tells me the algorithm is a joke or the agent thought I was the joke...
Operational upgrade and downgrade algorithms have certainly different parameters.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 5:49 am

Controversial title (I know)! Just the day before departure my in laws got downgraded from J to W because of the change of equipment (772 instead of 77W). Hopefully they got switched to an earlier flight.
Huh? The 77W (old) and 772 have the same amount of J seats, and the 77W retrofitted with W has only a single seat more (34 vs 35).

Further, the 772 does not have W at this time, so I don't see how this is even possible?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Huh? The 77W (old) and 772 have the same amount of J seats, and the 77W retrofitted with W has only a single seat more (34 vs 35).
AF has 4 or 5 different configurations of B77W.

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Further, the 772 does not have W at this time, so I don't see how this is even possible?
Don't know what you're talking about. B772 always had W seats since AF introduced W class.

I have the feeling you are confusing AF with KL. It's AF here in this discussion.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I have the feeling you are confusing AF with KL. It's AF here in this discussion.
I 100% thought I was in the KL forum.

Carry on.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Saturday's AF95 (B77W replaced by a B772). Got rebooked on AF99 (B77W) which leaves 3 hours before.

I am also wishing for consistency and 48J in all their 777...

Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK ELP, LA PASS Black, FB Platinum
Originally Posted by Amerrycan
Had the same last year. Booking together with my wife. I am platinum she was at that moment silver. She got an operational upgrade I am not. Silly. There is no logical algorithm. Since that moment I think status is irrelevant
Old Feb 13, 2024, 8:50 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Status is relevant but other things (including the time since your last opup) are more relevant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.