Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A few newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2023, 12:51 am
Original Poster

A few newbie questions

AF/KLM newbie here so please excuse my lack of program knowledge and the length of the post.

I've just made my first booking for many years on AF, routing BKK-EDI and return all in March 2024 (via CDG in both directions of course). Fares are Business Light with the long hauls booking into O and the EDI legs into J. I have entered my KQ Gold number (Skyteam Elite Plus) into the booking to allow seat choice and lounge access. All flights will use 2E in CDG.

My questions:
1) My booking shows one hold bag but I have read many references to Light Fares not having any hold baggage allowance. Is this just out of date information I've been reading?

2) Short haul flights are on A220s and Long haul on B777-300ERs with 48 in J. Aerolopa suggest rows 1 or 9 on the 777 for a larger footwell, but both are near toilets and a galley. Row 9 is a bassinet row too so possibility of getting moved. The A220 flights are showing 5 and 9 rows respectively designated Business Class with the C and E seats blocked. Any particular seat choices to go for?

3) I understand XPs and the earnings accruing, but what are UXPs?

4) Status looks to be quite easy to attain given my recent travel patterns, so is there any way to credit these to Flying Blue given I have used my KQ status on the booking already?

5) Are pre-departure drinks offered on these flights?

6) All flights appear to have wifi on board. I found pricing of 3 to 8 Euro for the Surf Pass but it was from 5 years ago. Are these prices still current?

7) I have an old Flying Dutchman account somewhere. Is it of any use?

8) Any lounge or other relevant comments and suggestions also appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:27 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Hello,

1) Business Light has one 32kg piece of luggage instead of two.
2) Go for A seats in A220 business class, because C is blocked.
3) XP is for regular status qualification, UXP is for FB Ultimate qualification (see dedicated thread for details)
5) Yes for longhaul flights.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You have a biz light ticket meaning no lounge access, no free advanced seat selection. But as you are Skyteam E+ with KQ, you will have those benefits.
1) see azeotrope answer.
2) I agree with azeotrope. For the number of rows assigned to J class, it is adjusted on the actual bookings. J-class can be anything between 1 to 10-12 rows. EDI is not a premium-heavy route, so you can expect something around 3-4 rows max.
3) see azeotrope answer.
4) it will be challenging to change the FFP after the lounge access. Be prepared for it not working. You may search in the forum. That question was discussed extensively recently.
5) see azeotrope answer.
6) yes, most planes have wifi but be prepared for your particular plane not having it working. It happens quite frequently, even on newly delivered plane (I had no wifi recently on a brand new A220 - tech problem). The surf pass prices you are quoting are for medium-haul. Prices depends on long-haul vs medium-haul and also if the route is premium-heavy or not (in the sense, a lot of corporate travel). On your routes, you may expect a surf pass around 18€ for the long-haul and 5-8 for the medium-haul flights.
7) this program doesn't exist anymore since 2005 (KL Flying Dutchman and AF Fréquence Plus were merged into Flying Blue).
8) you'll have lounge access (thanks to your ST E+ status and not to your biz light fare) in BKK (departure / AF lounge), CDG (transit / AF lounge), and the contract lounge AF is using in EDI (departure). For CDG, you will transit within terminal 2E. There are several AF lounges in 2E and you'll have to use the one of the concourse you are departing from.
Fabo.sk and paris1000 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by Azeotrope
Hello,

1) Business Light has one 32kg piece of luggage instead of two.
2) Go for A seats in A220 business class, because C is blocked.
3) XP is for regular status qualification, UXP is for FB Ultimate qualification (see dedicated thread for details)
5) Yes for longhaul flights.
Shouldn't ST E+ give you an extra piece of luggage?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drminn
Shouldn't ST E+ give you an extra piece of luggage?
Yes, my booking is showing 2 x checked bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.