Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France or KLM Business Class YYZ-DEL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2023, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Air France or KLM Business Class YYZ-DEL

I am planning to do YYZ-DEL in January 2024, getting confused between AF & KLM.
AF is YYZ - CDG in A350-900 & CDG - DEL A330-200. While KLM is YYZ - AMS in 787-10 & AMS - DEL in 777-300.
CDG layover is just 2 hours but AMS is 5 hours. I have read that AF has better food.
Will be travelling for the first time in business on AF or KLM with family. Need suggestions thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2023, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
No immigration at either so just transit security. None of the newer cabins are really ideal for couples/family unless you take the centre seats (and even then).

Are these paid BC tickets and does anyone want FB status (e.g., plan to travel more in the next year or two)? If so, consider YYZ-AMS-CDG-DEL or YYZ-CDG-AMS-DEL as it'll net an extra 15 XP per direction (75 instead of 60 each way).
Old Nov 14, 2023, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
No immigration at either so just transit security. None of the newer cabins are really ideal for couples/family unless you take the centre seats (and even then).

Are these paid BC tickets and does anyone want FB status (e.g., plan to travel more in the next year or two)? If so, consider YYZ-AMS-CDG-DEL or YYZ-CDG-AMS-DEL as it'll net an extra 15 XP per direction (75 instead of 60 each way).
Thanks they are costing me 287k XP for 2 adults + 1 child & $1400 CAD. Was bit confused between choosing the two in terms of better experience.
What I have read is :
Food - AF
Lounge - AF
Hospitality - KLM
Seating - Not sure
Old Nov 14, 2023, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
XP is for earning status. Are these your earned miles or are you transferring from a CC? If the latter, fly some flights (e.g., WS/WR) first per this advice. I've personally seen an account with absolutely no activity (let alone pending/actual mileage transfer) flagged/suspended for fraud.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
XP is for earning status. Are these your earned miles or are you transferring from a CC? If the latter, fly some flights (e.g., WS/WR) first per this advice I've personally seen an account with absolutely no activity (let alone pending/actual mileage transfer) flagged/suspended for fraud.
Sorry my bad I messed up the terminology so yeah I will be transferring Flying blue miles from my Amex. Thanks got your point.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 2:46 pm

Programs: FB Gold
There is no transit security at AMS from certain countries, I believe Canada is on that list.

The ageing AF A330s have a 2-2-2 layout, just FYI.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
First off good choices to have and they will both be great.
agree Af is best in all the categories of food/service but my opinion is they are both really good. One is just a little better than the other
i do like the klm 787-10.. very quiet and very comfortable seats in business.
borh have great lounges, I am a big fan of the crown lounge.
I guess what should be a primary deciding factor is the connection time. At least would be for me.
I have not riden in the a330 plane…. All the other planes in your list are very nice with my preference the klm 787-10.
mayank646 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK ELP, LA PASS Black, FB Platinum
Originally Posted by mayank646
Thanks they are costing me 287k XP for 2 adults + 1 child & $1400 CAD. Was bit confused between choosing the two in terms of better experience.
What I have read is :
Food - AF
Lounge - AF
Hospitality - KLM
Seating - Not sure
You are absolutely right with that. Seats are almost equal. You have in 787 and 350 1-2-1 seating. I don't see a big difference in the seats. AF A330 and KL 777 has both 2-2-2 seating. So also not a big difference. I would go with AF. Especially because of 3 hours less in transfer. AF beats KL in most. Only hospitality and the airport AMS is better on KLM
mayank646 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 5:16 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
I fly the CDG/AMS-DEL route pretty often. The arrival and departure times of AF in DEL are better than KL. This is one aspect that tips the scale in favor of AF for me.

Other than that, on the A330 AF flies a 2-2-2 config, which is not too private when flying alone. But good if you're a couple. If the 777 on KL is the 1-2-1 layout then that's a much more privacy oriented experience but I've encountered technical issues on these seats a bit too frequently. If it's the 2-2-2, again, not as private but the middle seats are great and I maintain that the 2-2-2 KL layout is one of the most comfortable and roomy for sleeping.

Food and service on AF, especially to/from DEL typically outshines KL. This has been true post pandemic. But my last two flights on KL were quite good too. On return from DEL the very late departure for KL means the on board meal survive is truncated. AF'S a bit nicer.

If AF was flying any other aircraft than the A330, the balance would tip in their favor for me personally. But with the A330, they're about the same - though in my opinion AF gets the slight edge in food, service and flight times.
mayank646 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold | Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mayank646
What I have read is :
Food - AF
Lounge - AF
Hospitality - KLM
Seating - Not sure
Huisje (Little House): KLM

Which is very important for Dutch people to put on display in their living room as the ultimate humble brag when you've got visitors

Also, I would say lounge depends. I personally prefer the KLM lounge over the 2E lounge from AF. The 2F lounge is amazing though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.