Wiki Posts
Search

Award pricing changes going on?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Award pricing changes going on?

After reading a new blog post from OMAAT https://onemileatatime.com/deals/fly...-class-awards/ I tried a few award route pricings.

It really looks like US / Central American destinations from Europe are now 50.000 miles minimum one way in business class.
I also checked a few South American and Asian destinations and found lots of 70.000miles award seats. - However South America and Asia seem to be reduced only Jan-Mar 24.

I booked a LIM-NUE award flight a few weeks ago and the absolute minimum price was 87.500 miles oneway.

Did they change award minimum pricing table or did they just open up more seats at the minimum rate?
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
It really looks like US / Central American destinations from Europe are now 50.000 miles minimum one way in business class.
I spotted the same thing just now.

I had a oneway booked from the US back to Europe for January; KLM already cancelled the direct flight and moved me to the day prior.

Just having a look online, there are connecting seats available on AF for 50,000 (in place of the 56,500 previously paid) on both my original date and the date KLM wants me to travel....

Did they change award minimum pricing table or did they just open up more seats at the minimum rate?
It looks like the rate has been reduced; I don't remember an even 50k being available on these routes for many a long year, certainly not under the current (post 01/04/2018) iteration of Flying Blue.

Would be good if Ben Lipsey could chime in....or maybe if this is an error we should make hay while the sun shines!!!
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EDIT: spoke to an FB agent on an unrelated matter, but made an enquiry about these apparently new, lower rates. The agent had heard nothing about it.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And OMG; there's 50k (each way) availability on West Coast US to Europe award bookings too!

Until recently, this was a 65k route. That's a reduction of 23% in the mileage requirement.
Attached Images  
newflyer27 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:59 am
Flying Blue Director

It’s not a mistake

We are progressively implementing a new pricing model that will lower the pricing on 71% of O&Ds in J, 68% in W, and 66% in Y. The rest will either stay the same or increase slightly (eg JFK went from 15k to 20k in Y), but there shouldn’t be anything too shocking I hope. There are still some routes to be rolled out, particularly the 5th freedom routes, so please be patient.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And OMG; there's 50k (each way) availability on West Coast US to Europe award bookings too!

Until recently, this was a 65k route. That's a reduction of 23% in the mileage requirement.
Even CDG-SFO is now 50k, down from 80K before.
renila and irishguy28 like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ben Lipsey
It’s not a mistake

We are progressively implementing a new pricing model that will lower the pricing on 71% of O&Ds in J, 68% in W, and 66% in Y. The rest will either stay the same or increase slightly (eg JFK went from 15k to 20k in Y), but there shouldn’t be anything too shocking I hope. There are still some routes to be rolled out, particularly the 5th freedom routes, so please be patient.
WOW - it even looks like the airline surcharge has been reduced or taken away on some routes

Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s not a mistake

A very, very welcome move, and thanks in advance for this.

Hopefully Flying Blue will publish "starting from" price charts for these new rates....the Mileage Tool is out of date and, if the "Logic" of pricing allows it, a chart (with zones) is far more convenient than running countless individual route searches....🙏

(I never did understand why Paris was penalised by being by far the most expensive origin/destination in Europe, at least for flights to/from the US)
Attached Images  
more4less, Squerez and newflyer27 like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 26, 2023 at 9:34 am
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:39 am

Europe Asia and Asia Europe can be found at 50k in J now! a real steal . I just booked a BKK CDG at 50K in J!!
LP awards have not changed however from what i saw on SIN and HND routes.
irishguy28 and mediator like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 9:51 am
Original Poster

just speculating, but it might be a change to segment based awards like BA handles award pricing. Ben speaks of reduction on O&D awards. when I search for LIM-CDG for example I get an award for 50.000 miles - if I add an inner European connection the price on the same flight date is 70.000 - same for flights ex Asia (CDG-NUE biz award oneway is 20.000 miles).
that could also be a preparation for booking awards with stopovers online.

Last edited by f0zzyNUE; Oct 26, 2023 at 9:58 am
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Dang, it's getting good. Need to make up miles shortfall now
f0zzyNUE likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Dang, it's getting good. Need to make up miles shortfall now
Buying miles with the current 100% bonus starting to make sense ...
newflyer27 and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 10:48 am
Original Poster

BTW all cheap 50.000 biz awards other than from/to US/MEX have disappeared for now.
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:12 am

BTW all cheap 50.000 biz awards other than from/to US/MEX have disappeared for now.
that’s true ! My BKK CDG is back to 70k! Lucky me !
f0zzyNUE likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:11 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
It’s not a mistake

Will upgrade awards also follow this decrease?
arjen05 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.