Wiki Posts
Search

UPDATE, post 57: Air France reward ticket sudden void

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Marriott FSPP
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I don't think the airport staff can do anything to help. If the call centre agents can't see any info this, I'm not sure what more the airport can do. In all likelihood you'd just be directed back to FB. If you happen to get a helpful duty manager the might call the ops centre to ask, but I highly doubt they'll reinstate the ticket for you, especially if it's an award.

To echo the points above, since you're leaving fairly soon, start making alternative arrangements to avoid sinking your entire trip. A follow-up email might be forthcoming from FB, which might at least offer some sort of explanation. These sort of cancellation decisions tend to come from some internal department that isn't directly contactable, not even by frontline staff, so unfortunately you can't expect a quick resolution.
I am worry the same thing you mentioned above. The agent I spoke confirmed with me there is no office not even sales office in Canada anymore since they closed all overseas office during COVID. She told me the instruction left on the ticket is Verification in person.
she even said KLM or any local agent can help. I suspect YYC probably won’t station they are own employees must be a ground handling service provider.
I’m trying to do more research to see if anyone had similar issues before and got sorted out.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Can you give us a sense of the miles you were charged for the ticket (and for which class of service)? Are you sure the rewards sale you mention was legit (eg promo awards), not a pricing mistake?

im just a little confused by the sequence of events as you say that you never fly AF, had to transfer credit card miles to gets the required miles to get the tickets but are only going to CUN to take that flight so it must have been quite a fabulous deal and unfortunately the more fabulous a deal the greater the chance something might be problematic about it.

otherwise, as others mention it is likely that the transactions raised alarm bells with the frauds team.

Either way, I really don’t think AF staff would help you if there is an issue with an award ticket, I think they’ll just send you back to fb to solve any issues and you’ll be back to square 1…
Old Oct 4, 2023, 6:01 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Are you 100% sure you’re talking to a Flying Blue? Because the URL link in this email is not an actual Air France domain. And the wording in English is very bad. Even for for Air France. Are you clicking that link and getting some sort of phone number on the resulting page? If so, the whole thing could be a scam, make sure you’re looking up the Flying Blue phone number directly from flyingblue.com.

None of this makes a lot of sense. You should be able to talk to somebody at Flying Blue that’s able to tell you what’s going on.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 6:15 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Ypsilon is an IT provider for the travel industry with fraud detection listed as one of their services.
becks1 likes this.

Last edited by hhdl; Oct 4, 2023 at 6:29 pm
Old Oct 4, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by vincentzh306
I called customer service just told me the ticket was refunded for no reason.
The ticket was not canceled yet.
Has the booking actually been cancelled?
Old Oct 4, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by hhdl
Ypsilon is an IT provider for the travel industry with fraud detection listed as one of their services.
https://ypsilon.net/product/17/

Note that both testimonials are AFKL, and loyalty fraud is explicitly called out.
irishguy28 and vincentzh306 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhdl
https://ypsilon.net/product/17/

Note that both testimonials are AFKL, and loyalty fraud is explicitly called out.
Yep. I confirmed with 5th agent (FB). They suspect its a credit card issue.
The ticket is fully refunded with miles as well.

In the end, they don't even know why.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Has the booking actually been cancelled?
Miles were refunded and taxes were refunded.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Can you give us a sense of the miles you were charged for the ticket (and for which class of service)? Are you sure the rewards sale you mention was legit (eg promo awards), not a pricing mistake?

im just a little confused by the sequence of events as you say that you never fly AF, had to transfer credit card miles to gets the required miles to get the tickets but are only going to CUN to take that flight so it must have been quite a fabulous deal and unfortunately the more fabulous a deal the greater the chance something might be problematic about it.

otherwise, as others mention it is likely that the transactions raised alarm bells with the frauds team.

Either way, I really don’t think AF staff would help you if there is an issue with an award ticket, I think they’ll just send you back to fb to solve any issues and you’ll be back to square 1…
It was a normal FB Promo Rewards monthly deal.
FB agents can't find any issues, but only way to refund and rebook.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It might be useful to try to guess what is the fraud suspected by AF/Ypsilon.
Creating a family household is a bit irrelevant to that potential fraud.

Someone opened a new account, transferred MR and booked a ticket in your name.
It could be that this person is "selling" the ticket to you.
That would violate th T&C and is a "fraud".
If you can prove that you have close ties to that person, this would clear one hurdle. If not, you are in trouble because it really looks like someone is bartering miles.

But, AF is also trying to prevent someone creating a new FB account just to receive credit card miles and book a ticket. They dislike that action. So they force you to go through loops, such as going to the airport, knowing that it is difficult for many pax, especially based in America where most of the cases happen.

I am not suggesting that you are "guilty" of anything, just taking the AF/Ypsilon viewpoint.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 10:51 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by brunos
(...) I am not suggesting that you are "guilty" of anything, just taking the AF/Ypsilon viewpoint.
It however looks very plausible.

Why is the OP refusing to say how many miles were charged?

Flying from Canada to CUN only yo catch a flight... hmmm....
Old Oct 4, 2023, 11:32 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
I think I see what happened, correct me if this is wrong:
1. Your partner created a new FB account, and never flew with FB
2. Your partner then joined your family
3. Your partner then transferred from her MR to her FB account
4. Your partner then redeemed and paid for the award ticket using her credit card
Crucially: 5. Your partner is NOT flying on the award ticket

If you are FB's fraud department, you can appreciate how these facts make it look 100% like a mileage broker selling an award ticket to you, creating a dummy/throwaway account that has never been verified, joining your family and making the redemption for you right?

If your partner were to fly the same ticket with you, you'd be ok.

You might be able to do something about it if you showed up at their office and showed them 1. your partner is a real person and 2. your partner actually lives at the same address as you. This will prove your partner isn't a mileage broker selling an award ticket to you, and hence no TOS were broken.
carnarvon, Fabo.sk, hhdl and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I don’t know what rules or T&C I violated.
I didn't say you violate a rule/T&C. But we had several reports here of awards tickets canceled in similar situation as yours because FB considers them as possibly fraudulent. I know it's certainly frustrating when there is no fraud at all.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I remember reading somewhere that in the old days, airlines were "confiscating" miles that they deemed used fraudulently.
Then a few parties sued them to recover the miles and the airline had to prove that it was a fraudulent transaction violating their T&Cs about buying/selling miles.
In theory, airlines can close an account without showing cause, but that might be a bit weak in courts..

Just refunding the ticket and flagging the account in case there are further such transactions is sufficient.
Of course, if the buyer already paid cash for the bartering, he is in a difficult position.

Again, I am not suggesting in any way that this is what happened in this case. Just what airlines do when they suspect bartering.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 12:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Dave510
If your partner were to fly the same ticket with you, you'd be ok.
I think some of the other reports have been people using CC miles from their own account to book for themselves, so even this might not be true. Nevertheless, OPs case really doesn’t surprise for setting off the fraud flags.

I don’t recall whether others have managed successful resolution on these fraud-flagged awards, though I don’t think I followed all that closely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.