Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Which date applies for requalification: flying or posting date?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2023, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Just realised my status years ends on July 31st and that I'm just a few XP short of gold status. I have 2 AF flights on July 31st (CAI-CDG & CDG-Brussels by train on a AF-number). And I'm willing to buy SAF/CO2-absorption to receive the final 11 XP. Anyone knows:

A - When will the XP for SAF/CO2-absorption post? Is it when paying, when flying the oubound of when finishing the whole trip?
B - Which date matters for the XP: the date of the flight (July 31st) or date the flight posts into my account (probably a day later)?

Fingers crossed!
Old Jul 2, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: FB Gold
The date of the departure flight is what matters for XP purposes and requalification.

As for the extra XP stemming from SAF purchases, I'm not as sure (only done it a couple times), I think the whole itinerary has to be completed but the pro-rata "extra" XP are applied to each flight segment retrospectively.
Travel-Quinten likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlin32
The date of the departure flight is what matters for XP purposes and requalification.

As for the extra XP stemming from SAF purchases, I'm not as sure (only done it a couple times), I think the whole itinerary has to be completed but the pro-rata "extra" XP are applied to each flight segment retrospectively.
Thanks for that information!
Old Jul 2, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by mlin32

I propose to buy SAF at check in. Then you are sure the XP will be at the same date.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by westi2002
I propose to buy SAF at check in. Then you are sure the XP will be at the same date.
Ah, didn't know you can add SAF during OLCI - thanks for that advice.

The odd thing is SAF can be bought for €12, €18 or €262. I need 11XP only, so preferably I would spend around €110. Is there a way to change their preset amounts?
Old Jul 2, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: FB Gold
No, the SAF and reforestation amounts are fixed based on the CO2 emissions on your flight.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
Ah, didn't know you can add SAF during OLCI - thanks for that advice.

The odd thing is SAF can be bought for €12, €18 or €262. I need 11XP only, so preferably I would spend around €110. Is there a way to change their preset amounts?
With 12 or 18€, you get 2xp in both cases. So choose the cheapest one. You can claim the SAF option through flying blue chat and it is credited immediately (on July 31st).

However, a CAI CDG ZYR is Long 1 + Medium. In economy you will get 13xp which is enough compared to your 11xp needed.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 11:55 pm

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
in case the flight departs and lands in July - just make a retrocredit for the flight shortly after landing. the miles and XP should post immediately. in case the SAF credits don't post call the air france hotline. they will also check and credit it immediately.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadavid
With 12 or 18€, you get 2xp in both cases. So choose the cheapest one. You can claim the SAF option through flying blue chat and it is credited immediately (on July 31st).

However, a CAI CDG ZYR is Long 1 + Medium. In economy you will get 13xp which is enough compared to your 11xp needed.
Thanks for your help! Including these flights, I'm short of 11XP. And with the SAF, just 9.

My plan was to credit a BKK-KUL MH-flight, but it's marketed as RJ and seems not to count. Probably I will just donate 18k miles to grow some trees in Mexico and receive gold status in return
Old Jul 3, 2023, 5:07 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Why not buy the 26-ish XP from the more expensive SAF option and effectively credit the 15 XP to next year?
rachelrees likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:14 am

I completely agree with you
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhdl
Why not buy the 26-ish XP from the more expensive SAF option and effectively credit the 15 XP to next year?
It's indeed €262 OR 18.000 miles+€12. I would say the 18k miles are worth less then €250 (maybe around 1 cent each), so it feels like a cheaper option. I don't really fly ST and therefore don't think the 15XP for next year have value.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by canadavid

The 12 EUR option is probably reforestation only, so will give only 1 XP
Old Jul 4, 2023, 6:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
It's indeed €262 OR 18.000 miles+€12. I would say the 18k miles are worth less then €250 (maybe around 1 cent each), so it feels like a cheaper option. I don't really fly ST and therefore don't think the 15XP for next year have value.
If you're not likely to fly ST over the next 13 months, why pay for Gold status? 110 euro will buy the approximate difference between Silver and Gold on a single roundtrip.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:03 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
If I am right you can also do donations to a good cause, 2000 miles per XP, and these post directly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.