Old Nov 13, 2023, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stewie Mac
Miles/points for flights taken by airline:
Don't appear to be any minimums.

KQ

AF/KL
Economy
E - miles awarded based on 25% of distance flown, plus applicable tier bonus; points for status renewal based on 75% of distance flown; 1 segment = 1 flight for status
G - miles awarded based on 25% of distance flown, plus applicable tier bonus; points for status renewal based on 50% of distance flown; 1 segment = 1 flight for status

Other ST
As at 19 Dec 23, Asante does not offer any miles (either status or redeemable) for flights on any other carriers, ST or otherwise

Print Wikipost

KQ launches own FFP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
KQ launches own FFP

And with that, leaves Flying Blue:

https://asante.kenya-airways.com

And the press release:
https://corporate.kenya-airways.com/...te-Program.pdf
irishguy28 and cruser1 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
WOW. not really a surprise after the end of the JV.
What's surprising is that they are not mentioning at all a possible conversion of FB miles or a status match to the new program for members based in Kenya or other African countries.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Like Goldorak not surprised at all since, they've been advertising this for the past 2-3 months. So I was really impatient to see how it will differ from the current FB program.
The most difficult part since they quit the JV was to choose between double XP/UXP and the generous miles earning based on distance - that FB used to offer pre-2018 changes.
We are currently planning a trip to (obviously) Africa involving AF & KQ in the same itinerary, let's see what will come out from that new move!
Does this has to do with their SAA partnership?
Old Jun 14, 2023, 2:52 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Hmmm! Wonder if this is going to cause any issues with my race to FB Platinum? Two sets of flights booked on KQ that would get me to magic 300 well before my renewal date. 🤞🏻
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Saltire74
Hmmm! Wonder if this is going to cause any issues with my race to FB Platinum? Two sets of flights booked on KQ that would get me to magic 300 well before my renewal date. 🤞🏻
They're not leaving Skyteam....yet

When Air Europa stopped using Flying Blue in 2015 in favour of their own programme, you were still able to earn sectors/level miles - with the complication that there were some classes that no longer earned, so perhaps you're right to be concerned.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 3:57 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
Originally Posted by irishguy28

When Air Europa stopped using Flying Blue in 2015 in favour of their own programme, you were still able to earn sectors/level miles - with the complication that there were some classes that no longer earned, so perhaps you're right to be concerned.
air europa become almost a no fly carrier as their lowest business class fare (O) does not earn anything on flying blue.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 6:14 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
air europa become almost a no fly carrier as their lowest business class fare (O) does not earn anything on flying blue.
welcome to the weird and wonderful world of flying Lufthansa Group and crediting to anywhere other than M&M....
Fims, planes&trains, mpkz and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Given the relative financial strength, it's perhaps at least as likely that SA leaves *A as KQ leaves ST.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 10:48 pm

I wish Delta had bought a stake in KQ. There were talks about it.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 4:20 am
Suspended

I'm more used to oneWorld where status benefits are pretty uniform across the alliance compared to SkyTeam where it seems an airline's own elites often get preferential treatment in many ways. I've also been flying KQ a bit in the past 2 years - I wonder if benefits such as being able to select comfort seats for free will remain for FB Plats.. I would assume so, but I've found SkyTeam to be horrible when it comes to consistency (esp. DL).
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:36 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Mayanja
I wish Delta had bought a stake in KQ. There were talks about it.
That wouldn't have helped though. Delta owns stakes in LATAM for example. They did leave OW, but didn't join ST.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 10:51 pm

The double domestic XP are also gone. I don't think it's fair to already do that with tickets booked before the 15th: one buys the ticket under those conditions, and they were changed after the purchase. They should honour it for tickets bought before the launch.
GUWonder and hagi like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:17 am

Indeed, they were quick in scrapping that rule which was brilliant for earning extra XPs. Luckily, I just managed to complete my last internal flight in Kenya before the change.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 8:59 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
A good news for those who fly KQ a lot:

6. What is Status Match?

This is an option Kenya Airways is extending to Flying Blue Members who join Asante Rewards. If you join and status match in Asante Rewards, you will retain your current Flying Blue tier level in Asante Rewards.
https://www.flyingblue.us/en/landing.../kenya-airways

I've already enrolled to Asante Rewards but I prefer to wait a bit to do the status match as the next flights with KQ are next year, so to enjoy the tier level when needed.
Has anyone tried and successfully done it?

Old Jul 20, 2023, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by flying_blue_white_red
Has anyone tried and successfully done it?
I would be very surprised if Kenya Airways has rejected ANY applicant matching from Flying Blue. After making the decision to set up their own frequent flyer programme, and knowing that there was no way to "transfer" Flying Blue miles across, it would really be exceptionally poor service to fail to match the status held in their erstwhile programme in their newly-minted Asante programme.

(And they are matching from all programmes, not just from Flying Blue; they may decide to reject applicants matching from some other random programmes, but I would expect any application from an FB member to be approved without hesitation)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.