Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World Elite Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2023, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

World Elite Mastercard

I'm thinking of getting one, to obtain more miles (the XP isn't enough to make a difference), but I'm wanting to check a few things:

Flying Blue members earn extra 5 Miles per (Є1) Euro spent on Air France and KLM flight tickets.

The additional 5 Miles from the accelerator are only earned on charges related to the member’s Flying Blue number. Terms and conditions apply. You earn Miles for every € you spend on Air France and KLM-marketed flights, excluding government-imposed taxes and fees.
My company pays for them, but enters my FlyingBlue member number, so the miles / XP go to my account. Likewise, will I still be credited with these extra 5 miles per Єeven if it's bought with some other credit card? Has anyone else bothered? There's a $89 fee, but beyond that, is there any pitfalls I should be aware about? Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:44 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Lets clarify a few things

Originally Posted by SentimentalGeek
My company pays for them
your company pays for what ??? You mean your bizness trips ?

Originally Posted by SentimentalGeek
Likewise, will I still be credited with these extra 5 miles per Єeven if it's bought with some other credit card?.
If you mean that your company (assuming you are not self-employed) pays for your trips with their corporate card then if i got your situation right you wont get these 5 extra miles per Є

The flights must be purchased for you (means you are the main passenger) and paid with this word elite card under your name

If you are really much into this , and if your company allow you to do it and if you have no problems with possible payment delays then pay for those trips by yourself and then claim back the money
Old Feb 26, 2023, 2:28 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Are you in the US or Canada?

The offer you describe is not part of the Flying Blue World Elite Mastercard (from Bank of America) in the US, though it does appear to be part of the offer for the Brim Flying Blue World Elite Mastercard offered in Canada.

The Canadian card appears to offer that bonus 5 miles per euro (excluding taxes etc.) on tickets booked directly with AFKL regardless of how they're paid for in lieu of offering miles for using the card at airlines. Note that the annual fee for the Canadian card is CA$132 and I recall reading in the thread on it from some months back that it charges a hefty foreign (meaning any transaction not in Canadian dollars) transaction fee.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 2:45 pm

Brim Flying Blue Canada Credit Card

2.5% fee for foreign transactions and they apparently require SMS auth for any transaction outside of Canada. You're basically buying a negligible (in the sense that the card plus a r/t to CDG/AMS every year won't qualify you for Silver) number of XPs per year and the mileage accelerator.

Again, if you're not able to get a Canadian credit card, this is meaningless to you. The US FBWEMC is a completely different animal: it only gives you bonus miles for paying with the card (which means, on the bright side, that you get those miles on taxes/fees and other add-ons that don't otherwise accrue miles, as well as on the tickets you buy for others), doesn't charge fees on transactions, and is generally more rewarding for spending (1.5 miles/US$ generally and 3 miles/US$ with SkyTeam airlines, plus 40 XP on the first $15k in spending per year, and 5k extra miles on the first $50 in spending per year).
Old Feb 27, 2023, 3:21 pm

I have the Brim card and flew with KLM in Jan. Can confirm that you get the accelerator points for holding the card, even if it booking is charged to a different card. (Obviously you won't get the additional 1 pt/$ you would have earned for the card spend)
I don't intend to put much spend on it as long as I have better options for earning points; certainly won't be traveling with it. But for as long as I'm focusing travel to/through Europe and pursuing status with FB, the annual fee doesn't bother me too much.
wysiwyg and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 12:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Whilst not wishing to sidetrack this thread, wonder if anybody can tell me if there any XP/Miles gaining cards similar to the one mentioned that is available to us UK citizens?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 11:56 am

Hello,

I m currently FB Gold (AirFrance Canada) with 138 XP with an upcoming 40 XP trip with qualification period ending May 2023. I am aware of the FB CO2 offset scheme to buy additional XP as an option.
Alternatively, I am considering getting the Brim FB master card with welcome bonus/first year 60 XP and then annual gift of 30 XP at renewal. If I choose the CC route and pay annual fee in 2024, would I be up 88 XP towards FB Gold renewal again in 2024, not counting other flights I may take? Is my logic correct?
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Der Yung
Hello,

I m currently FB Gold (AirFrance Canada) with 138 XP with an upcoming 40 XP trip with qualification period ending May 2023. I am aware of the FB CO2 offset scheme to buy additional XP as an option.
Alternatively, I am considering getting the Brim FB master card with welcome bonus/first year 60 XP and then annual gift of 30 XP at renewal. If I choose the CC route and pay annual fee in 2024, would I be up 88 XP towards FB Gold renewal again in 2024, not counting other flights I may take? Is my logic correct?
138 XP + 40 XP + 60 XP by 31 May 2023 => 238 XP (retaining Gold through 31 May, 2024)
238 XP - 180 XP => 58 XP after 31 May 2023
58 XP + 30 XP in Mar/Apr 2024 => 88 XP before other flights
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:25 pm

I hit Silver when my XP from the card signup came through. So my status renewal date basically equals my card anniversary date.

Now I'm thinking of the miserable scenario where I fall just short of reaching Gold by my renewal date (say 179 points, for argument's sake)
Renewal date hits and I lose 100 points and stay at Silver, leaving me with 79XP. And then I get 30XP on the card anniversary after it's too late? Is that the timeline, or is there some leeway there?

Put another way, is there any chance I would get my annual 30XP and make Gold, before I got docked for another year at Silver?

(Of course I fully intend to hit Gold sooner and avoid this scenario.)
Old Mar 3, 2023, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by theflyinggrayson
I hit Silver when my XP from the card signup came through. So my status renewal date basically equals my card anniversary date.

Now I'm thinking of the miserable scenario where I fall just short of reaching Gold by my renewal date (say 179 points, for argument's sake)
Renewal date hits and I lose 100 points and stay at Silver, leaving me with 79XP. And then I get 30XP on the card anniversary after it's too late? Is that the timeline, or is there some leeway there?

Put another way, is there any chance I would get my annual 30XP and make Gold, before I got docked for another year at Silver?

(Of course I fully intend to hit Gold sooner and avoid this scenario.)
The qualification deadline is normally the last day of the month you moved up, so did you sign up and get the XP on 28 February?

Brim will hopefully post the XP on the same date next year (so on or before the 29th). If not, you will likely requalify as Silver and roll over 79 XP before the 30 new XP post, with 71 XP over the year ending February 28, 2025 getting you Gold. That said, FB has reportedly from time to time decided to grant a courtesy XP if you're 1 short (in which case you'd be Gold with zero XP... I'm not sure whether I'd rather be silver with 79 XP or Gold with zero XP).
Old Mar 3, 2023, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl
The qualification deadline is normally the last day of the month you moved up, so did you sign up and get the XP on 28 February?

Brim will hopefully post the XP on the same date next year (so on or before the 29th). If not, you will likely requalify as Silver and roll over 79 XP before the 30 new XP post, with 71 XP over the year ending February 28, 2025 getting you Gold. That said, FB has reportedly from time to time decided to grant a courtesy XP if you're 1 short (in which case you'd be Gold with zero XP... I'm not sure whether I'd rather be silver with 79 XP or Gold with zero XP).
Thanks, it was somewhere around the end of November, so I might have a few days of wiggle room for the new XP to post before I would requalify. As I said, I don't intend to let it come to that.
Really I guess I'm wondering if I should find myself in a grey zone of 150+ XP prior to requalification, do I squeeze in another flight to put me over, or count on the XP from Brim landing in time. I suppose it's a new card, and no one really knows.

You're definitely right that being Gold with zero XP vs Silver with 79 is a mixed bag. My thinking is I'd rather get Gold for a year and then have the soft landing to Silver the following year, and thereby have two years to accumulate XP and at least maintain Silver in Year 3. That lines up with current plans to do a lot of award travel and make the most of Gold status next year. If that plan changes, it may make more sense to maintain Silver for another year and push for Gold the following year.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 6:02 am

Scam with Flying Blue rewards and Bank of America

Has anyone had the same experience? I signed up for flying Blue MasterCard (US) late last year for the bonus rewards and also to gain flying Blue rewards. Tom this day I have not received a single reward through use of this card. I have called flying Blue who tell me to contact bank if America. When I call bank of America they tell me to talk to flying Blue!
Old Oct 14, 2023, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by AppollL
Has anyone had the same experience? I signed up for flying Blue MasterCard (US) late last year for the bonus rewards and also to gain flying Blue rewards. Tom this day I have not received a single reward through use of this card. I have called flying Blue who tell me to contact bank if America. When I call bank of America they tell me to talk to flying Blue!
Is there a chance that you name on the card is different from the name on the FB account? Something like a middle initial difference.
Also, does your FB account have a US address or foreign? That might be the problem
Old Oct 15, 2023, 12:38 am

Thanks for response! I will have a look!
Old Oct 15, 2023, 3:34 am

Depending on how you signed up for the card, it's possible that BofA setup a new Flying Blue account for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.