Wiki Posts
Search

Rundown of all options to earn XPs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, United Premier Silver
Rundown of all options to earn XPs

Hi, is there any canonical thread listing all options FB offers to earn XPs in addition to flying?

Here's what I have, and I'd love if people could chime in and remind me of anything I'm missing:
  • Flying (obviously)
  • Purchasing SAF environment options -- only available with an existing reservation
  • Co-branded credit cards -- depends on country of residence; for sure these are available in France, Netherlands, the US (that I can remember off the top of my head)
  • Cartes d'abonnement -- available in France for travel in France (métropolitaine et DOM), can be purchased from outside France too
Am I missing anything?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 4:15 am

Donating miles to charity (like RedCross) gains 1 XP per 2000miles? Almost tried this myself facing an end of December deadline to keep platinum status, but then got 15 XP credited for a recently opened Dutch AMEX FB silver card.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ouray
Donating miles to charity (like RedCross) gains 1 XP per 2000miles? Almost tried this myself facing an end of December deadline to keep platinum status, but then got 15 XP credited for a recently opened Dutch AMEX FB silver card.
Oh right! There’s that too — which feels like a true last resort having exhausted all other options, if you need some extra XPs (it’s not that great of a value, though it’s not bad either).

thanks for the reminder!
Old Dec 17, 2022, 5:32 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
You can get 10XP through the Accor partnership. One time only though.
itaexpat and ofj like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Ouray
I suppose you need a residence in the Netherlands to open a Dutch Flying Blue AMEX card correct? I am based in the EU but not in The Netherlands. Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avalyn2
I suppose you need a residence in the Netherlands to open a Dutch Flying Blue AMEX card correct? I am based in the EU but not in The Netherlands. Thanks.
I can only assume so after I tried the process for the French card — a French address was required. I have citizenship and residence in the EU (not France nor Netherlands) while living in the US, and I was hoping to get the French card besides the US one because I needed the extra XPs… but nope. It makes sense, of course.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
Originally Posted by avalyn2
There's a way around it: You get a BUNQ account (which will have a Dutch IBAN) and buy a mail redirect service so you can receive your card in your "dutch adress" and redirect it to your intended adress. You'll also need a proof of adress (dutch, and should match the mail redirect service adress) which is a bit more troublesome.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:53 am

There's also a Canadian co-branded card now, with BRIM.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by miles_collector
There's a way around it: You get a BUNQ account (which will have a Dutch IBAN) and buy a mail redirect service so you can receive your card in your "dutch adress" and redirect it to your intended adress. You'll also need a proof of adress (dutch, and should match the mail redirect service adress) which is a bit more troublesome.
I'm not sure it's that simple, while Bunq allows EU residents to open a bank account you can't just use a "mail redirect service" to claim you reside in the Netherlands as you're unlikely to have a proof of address, not to mention even if you find a way around it this will likely violate their T&Cs.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 2:39 am

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
Originally Posted by Ditto
I'm not sure it's that simple, while Bunq allows EU residents to open a bank account you can't just use a "mail redirect service" to claim you reside in the Netherlands as you're unlikely to have a proof of address, not to mention even if you find a way around it this will likely violate their T&Cs.
It is possible and I've done it a few years ago when I had an amex
Old Dec 18, 2022, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itaexpat
I can only assume so after I tried the process for the French card — a French address was required. I have citizenship and residence in the EU (not France nor Netherlands) while living in the US, and I was hoping to get the French card besides the US one because I needed the extra XPs… but nope. It makes sense, of course.
They did not require a French address from me. They did require a direct debit to be set up from a bank though. I have an account at a French bank so it was not a problem for me. It might conceivably be feasible with a bank account elsewhere in the Eurozone but I have no direct experience of that so cannot comment knowledgeably on it.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
They did not require a French address from me. They did require a direct debit to be set up from a bank though. I have an account at a French bank so it was not a problem for me. It might conceivably be feasible with a bank account elsewhere in the Eurozone but I have no direct experience of that so cannot comment knowledgeably on it.
Really? Interesting. When did you do your application, recently? When I was asked for my address, the drop-down menu only included France and its départements d’outre mer. There was no option to select or insert another country.

otherwise yes, I do have a EU bank account in euros (another requirement of the application), but I got blocked at the address.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 1:07 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I would have thought that under SEPA there must not be discrimination based on IBAN, so my hunch they're not allowed to deny you based on not having a French bank account. Then again they don't _have_ to accept you as a customer I suppose.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itaexpat
Really? Interesting. When did you do your application, recently? When I was asked for my address, the drop-down menu only included France and its départements d’outre mer. There was no option to select or insert another country.

otherwise yes, I do have a EU bank account in euros (another requirement of the application), but I got blocked at the address.
It was in late 2019/early 2020. It was a paper-based pdf application. I had called them to check by phone that they were OK to accept applications from non-French residents. It is possible that they might have changed their policies since then. It is also possible that the US connection might be a complication. It often is for bank accounts and investment products.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
I would have thought that under SEPA there must not be discrimination based on IBAN, so my hunch they're not allowed to deny you based on not having a French bank account. Then again they don't _have_ to accept you as a customer I suppose.
The French address was required when asked for my address of residence — before I could give my IBAN. In fact, the application page states first and foremost that the applicant “must have a bank account in euros,” no reference to country of residence. Elsewhere in the terms and conditions (finer print) it says something along the lines of France only, if I recall correctly.

Originally Posted by NickB
It was in late 2019/early 2020. It was a paper-based pdf application. I had called them to check by phone that they were OK to accept applications from non-French residents. It is possible that they might have changed their policies since then. It is also possible that the US connection might be a complication. It often is for bank accounts and investment products.
I never got to a point in the application where I had to disclose a US connection; however yes, it looks like the policies might have changed in the last 2-3 years.

I was very attracted by the possibility of earning 90XP upon approval for the Platinum card. So I might call them in the future like you did. But the cost of maintaining the card year over year is quite steep (upwards of 500€) when I also have a Chase Sapphire Reserve — versus the Bank of America card, which only costs $89 a year with 20XP every anniversary year (plus I credit a few occasional AF/KLM purchases for the 3 miles per dollar).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.