Wiki Posts
Search

Not showing up on Delta flight upgrade list

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, United Premier Silver
Not showing up on Delta flight upgrade list

I checked in for my Delta US domestic flight tomorrow, and oddly my name does not appear on the upgrade list even if I am FB Platinum/SkyTeam Elite Plus. I've flown Delta countless times before and this is the first time this happens. I spent a bit of time on the phone with a Delta rep, who looked into it and eventually said that I would be added tomorrow at the airport... whatever that means?

Have any rules changed recently? Everything else works as intended: my FB number is attached to the reservation, Sky Priority is on my boarding pass, and I believe I was able to select preferred seats for free (at time of booking so I don't recall clearly).

So what could be happening?

EDIT: upon further investigation, could this be because I’m traveling with a companion? My partner has both SkyMiles and Flying Blue accounts but no status with either. Entering one or the other account number doesn’t change anything. The Delta support page for upgrades says: “Partner airline elite members are only eligible for Companion Upgrades on paid tickets and Companion Certificates.” This is a paid ticket though, so it still doesn’t explain it. I’ll ask an airport agent tomorrow, but if anyone has any info I’d love to understand more.

I would not care so much if I didn’t think I had a good chance at an upgrade based on the seat map
Goldorak likes this.

Last edited by itaexpat; Dec 7, 2022 at 8:43 pm
Old Dec 8, 2022, 3:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue
It's very simple, in Delta's eyes, an Elite+SkyTeam holds a lower status than any SkyMiles status (whether obtained through flights or credit cards).

Delta is just being Delta.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coder33
It's very simple, in Delta's eyes, an Elite+SkyTeam holds a lower status than any SkyMiles status (whether obtained through flights or credit cards).

Delta is just being Delta.
totally, but this is truly the first time this happens to me. I always appeared on the list, and even got first-class upgrades a few times before.

but, yes, I wouldn’t be surprised if Delta had tightened the rules somehow. I’ll find out at the airport. I do suspect the companion has something to do with this
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by itaexpat
totally, but this is truly the first time this happens to me. I always appeared on the list, and even got first-class upgrades a few times before.

but, yes, I wouldn’t be surprised if Delta had tightened the rules somehow. I’ll find out at the airport. I do suspect the companion has something to do with this
This happens to me whenever I fly routes with a lot of DL elites. I just don't expect to get an upgrade unless it's a route that I know DL elites do not fly in general like an evening LGA-YUL or something.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Nowadays doesn't Delta first upgrade all Delta & Aeromexico elites? After that the partner airline elites members will be upgraded.

That does according the Delta website happen on the DoD only:
Partner airline elite members will be eligible for day-of-departure upgrades only, with the exception of Aeromexico Club Premier members, whose upgrades can clear in advance or on the day-of-departure.

Don't think FB Platinum is ranked higher than the corresponding status levels in another Skyteam FFPs or VS, so even if any upgrade space is left over after all DL and AM status pax are dealt with, you're in competition with any status holders on all other programmes.
What I did see happen in the past that FB platinum did become 'DL platinum' on some of their systems sometimes. They might have fixed that omission?
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by Grouchy; Dec 8, 2022 at 7:04 am
Old Dec 8, 2022, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by physicsdude
This happens to me whenever I fly routes with a lot of DL elites. I just don't expect to get an upgrade unless it's a route that I know DL elites do not fly in general like an evening LGA-YUL or something.
Totally, I feel the same (my best luck happened during covid times when few people were traveling), but I want to re-iterate that my issue is not with not getting upgraded but with not appearing on the upgrade list altogether. That is a new thing to me and what I'm wondering about; and I feel like the companion on the ticket plays a role for some reason (giving upgrade chances to a non-Delta E+? sure! extending them to their companion as well? too much)

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Don't think FB Platinum is ranked higher than the corresponding status levels in another Skyteam FFPs or VS, so even if any upgrade space is left over after all DL and AM status pax are dealt with, you're in competition with any status holders on all other programmes.
What I did see happen in the past that FB platinum did become 'DL platinum' on some of their systems sometimes. They might have fixed that omission?
Yeah, I've always been identified as "DL [status tier]" on the Delta app, and I still am, currently the boarding pass on the app reads "Delta Platinum Medallion" even if I am technically not.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
That's a good sign. I would try to talk with the gate agent about not appearing on the upgrade list. Still this year half the FB/SM population seem to be DM/Plat thanks to the renewal of status/XP protection measures and bonus XPs making the lists loooong and typical you see a couple of DM competing for the last couple of seats on the DoD.
And sadly most likely no Delta SkyMiles reserve AMEX card which doesn't excactly help you when flying Delta AMEX airlines nowadays.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 11:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by itaexpat
EDIT: upon further investigation, could this be because I’m traveling with a companion? My partner has both SkyMiles and Flying Blue accounts but no status with either. Entering one or the other account number doesn’t change anything. The Delta support page for upgrades says: “Partner airline elite members are only eligible for Companion Upgrades on paid tickets and Companion Certificates.” This is a paid ticket though, so it still doesn’t explain it. I’ll ask an airport agent tomorrow, but if anyone has any info I’d love to understand more.

I would not care so much if I didn’t think I had a good chance at an upgrade based on the seat map
Yep, it's the companion - if there's multiple pax on the same PNR then the lowest status is used.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
According to my own, repeated experience over the last few years, as an FB Platinum you are just a fart for Delta. Lucky you if you had better experience before.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
Yep, it's the companion - if there's multiple pax on the same PNR then the lowest status is used.
thank you and yes, I confirmed that at the airport. Good to know for next time!
Old Dec 9, 2022, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wuzziduzziman
According to my own, repeated experience over the last few years, as an FB Platinum you are just a fart for Delta. Lucky you if you had better experience before.
I think with the end of the Covid reduced travel my luck might be over…
hhdl and Salter5 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.