FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue-594/)
-   -   FAQ 4A1 - Questions relating to the French co-branded FB Amex card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-klm-other-partners-flying-blue/2084877-faq-4a1-questions-relating-french-co-branded-fb-amex-card.html)

maalloc Jun 6, 2023 7:27 am

Originally Posted by macaron95 (Post 35308123)
No, my wife and I are French residents, no other cardholders on the account being non-resident.

what is frustrating is that I was given explaination after sending 5 digits every year for the past 14 years, being kicked out like trash…

Yes that is terrible business practice.

flyertalker00143 Jun 6, 2023 8:45 am

The agent called me back saying that she contacted the KYC team and their decision is definitive and that I can send a complain by post mail, but i doubt it would lead anywhere.

Farewell American Express.

newflyer27 Jun 6, 2023 9:26 am

Originally Posted by macaron95 (Post 35308609)
The agent called me back saying that she contacted the KYC team and their decision is definitive and that I can send a complain by post mail, but i doubt it would lead anywhere.

That's really unlucky and frustrating, Amex is probably the best way to earn miles in France unless you travel in J or F all the time . Not being able to understand why is the hardest part I believe.

MalFr Jun 6, 2023 9:32 am

Originally Posted by macaron95 (Post 35308609)

what would happen if you simply applied for another card (in a few months time)?

flyertalker00143 Jun 6, 2023 9:38 am

I don’t know. If they terminated my card then I would have probably been flagged in the system.
i will ask the question in the Amex forum.

flyertalker00143 Jun 6, 2023 10:08 am

sorry, letter in French

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...12152592e4.jpg

newflyer27 Jun 6, 2023 10:40 am

Originally Posted by macaron95 (Post 35308869)

that's very harsh and violent !!!

canadavid Jun 6, 2023 11:47 am

Originally Posted by macaron95 (Post 35308869)
sorry, letter in French

In summary:

We do what we want and we don’t care.
Please don’t ask any questions
Cheers

carnarvon Jun 6, 2023 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by macaron95 (Post 35308123)
No, my wife and I are French residents, no other cardholders on the account being non-resident.

what is frustrating is that I was given no explanation after spending 5 digits every year for the past 14 years, being kicked out like trash…

My AFKL Plat card was suspended without notice then cancelled after 31 years of membership, despite significant spending over the years.

They cancelled my Gold card which they had just issued, even though I had supplied all the information they had requested.

Trust me, they are more arrogant than you can imagine and could not care less. Their level of incompetence beggars belief.

carnarvon Jun 6, 2023 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by macaron95 (Post 35308770)
I don’t know. If they terminated my card then I would have probably been flagged in the system.
i will ask the question in the Amex forum.

Definitely flagged. They cancelled your card for a "reason", so why would they issue a new card?

In my case, they said I was banned for life. :D

carnarvon Jun 6, 2023 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by macaron95 (Post 35307993)
(...)I am currently exploring solutions for this Summer, like the All VISA card...

It is a good alternative. Less flexibility with spending limits though, as they don't allow interim bank transfers in case you reach the monthly balance limit.

The maximum monthly spending limit is based on your taxable income, so if you use your card for private and business expenses, you may reach the limit too easily.

The big plus though is that the reward is as good as cash (if you travel regularly) contrary to miles due to dynamic pricing.

Originally Posted by macaron95 (Post 35307993)
I am pretty sure I lost my battle against Amex already.

You have.

It is now time to give them the middle finger and start enjoying the idea that they will loose significant money once your card is cancelled.

Trust me, once the idea settles in into your mind, it is quite enjoyable. :) I used to think I could not "leave without it" but once I realised I could, I popped open a bottle to celebrate my replacement Visa card.

flyertalker00143 Jun 6, 2023 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by carnarvon (Post 35310384)
My AFKL Plat card was suspended without notice then cancelled after 31 years of membership, despite significant spending over the years.

They cancelled my Gold card which they had just issued, even though I had supplied all the information they had requested.

Trust me, they are more arrogant than you can imagine and could not care less. Their level of incompetence beggars belief.

My god, 31 years... sad to see the lack of respect towards long term loyal customers :(

My sister living in Canada never really paid attention to credit cards, i told her to get one. I even sponsored someone here on this topic last month. To think that over time i have recommended lots of friends and family to get an Amex.

So just a heads up this morning about Amex insurance... I was just confirmed that insurance only covers when still holding the Amex.

I booked my car rental for August, I made in March with the Amex, fully prepaid. But as the card will be terminated and returned before the day of rental, even if the rental is fully paid with the Amex, I won't have the rental covered... basically, it's ok for Amex to make money on my back but when it comes to applying the insurance i'm entitled to as the rental is already paid, the answer is no.

Hopefully i booked Europcar and they are very flexible. All rentals are cancellable 2 days prior rental. I was able to cancel and rebook (even at a cheaper price) with my bank VISA card to get covered.

newflyer27 Jun 6, 2023 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by carnarvon (Post 35310384)

Has this happened to you recently as well ?
I guess you also don’t know why they did it ?

flyertalker00143 Jun 7, 2023 12:07 am

carnarvon did you receive a similar letter like mine ? and as asked by newflyer27, was it recently too?

fineyoungcannibal Jun 7, 2023 1:48 am

My advice would be to lawyer up.

Most of the banks have a free legal aid (included with the fees of "la convention de compte"), not very good lawyers but a letter from a lawyer always get a serious answer. Also, you can escalate the problem to a "médiateur" [https://www.service-public.fr/partic...sdroits/F20523] (not sure it's the one for banks but you can verify).

Also, thanks to the CNIL [https://www.cnil.fr/fr/le-droit-dacc...tient-sur-vous], you are entitled to have access to the data they have on you.