Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending the Validity of Flying Blue Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Extending the Validity of Flying Blue Miles

Please excuse this very dumb question. Do Flying Blue Miles expire? If they do, can you extend the validity by some means that does not involve flying on an FB carrier? For example, can you buy something from the online store? Or perhaps, charge to your Air France FB credit card?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:01 pm

As long as 1 of the following conditions is fulfilled, your Miles remain valid for life:
  • You travel at least once every 2 years on an eligible flight with Air France, KLM or one of the partner airlines.
  • You are a Silver, Gold or Platinum member.
  • You make a purchase with an eligible partner bank card at least once every 2 years.
doctorjosh likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by BobTL
As long as 1 of the following conditions is fulfilled, your Miles remain valid for life:
  • You travel at least once every 2 years on an eligible flight with Air France, KLM or one of the partner airlines.
  • You make a purchase with an eligible partner bank card at least once every 2 years.
Thanks. I purchased something on the Air France store using my B of A Air France VISA card although I haven't seen the miles yet. Is this what you had in mind?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Thanks. I purchased something on the Air France store using my B of A Air France VISA card although I haven't seen the miles yet. Is this what you had in mind?
It's possible that Flying Blue won't see the mile-extending purchase until the statement period closes and BofA issues the miles.
Landing Gear likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:31 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by BobTL
Thanks for the clarification. I'm currently gold but will drop to silver. It is quite difficult to maintain status based in Australia, especially when international travel from Australia has only really opened up 6 months ago, and keeping those miles alive. Some of the SkyTeam airlines that fly into Australia are still on skeleton schedules even now (Garuda, China Airlines).
Old Aug 23, 2022, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by doctorjosh
Thanks for the clarification. I'm currently gold but will drop to silver. It is quite difficult to maintain status based in Australia
That's why they included Australia in the Extended Covid Measures. Status members in AU and several other countries with a status expiry on or before 30 September 2022 will have their status extended by another year.

Some of the SkyTeam airlines that fly into Australia are still on skeleton schedules even now (Garuda, China Airlines).
Bear in mind that you can extend your status by flying Qantas. Note, however, that domestic sectors - no matter the length - will only earn 2XP in Economy, 6XP in Business
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
That's why they included Australia in the Extended Covid Measures. Status members in AU and several other countries with a status expiry on or before 30 September 2022 will have their status extended by another year.
Unfortunately for me, my status expires end of October...
Old Aug 24, 2022, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately for me, my status expires end of October...
For miles expiry, you should still be OK though since you will still be silver.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 1:00 am

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by hhdl
It's possible that Flying Blue won't see the mile-extending purchase until the statement period closes and BofA issues the miles.
Yes, both the flight miles and partner miles get extended once the Bank of America statement closes and miles post in the FB account, which can take a few days.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Apologies for bumping this - I am plat for life so never had to worry about miles expiration myself, but one of my family members have miles due to expire in December. They have asked me if spending some miles on the FB shop would extend the validity of their remaining miles and I have no idea what to answer? Many thanks in advance!
Old Oct 24, 2022, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Apologies for bumping this - I am plat for life so never had to worry about miles expiration myself, but one of my family members have miles due to expire in December. They have asked me if spending some miles on the FB shop would extend the validity of their remaining miles and I have no idea what to answer? Many thanks in advance!
It would appear so
Old Oct 24, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
thanks! I saw this when I looked at it but whilst I may be over cautious I did find the phrasing a little ambiguous (as in I wasn’t sure if all those things including charity donations extend validity or if taking a flight was the way to extend validity and if you are not ready to do that here is how you can do something with the miles before they expire).

hopefully I’m just being unduly sceptical of Fb’s phrasings though!!
Old Oct 25, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
So - my miles are due to expire at the end of Dec 2022. If I purchase some miles does that keep my account alive ? Or am I better to transfer the 10K miles i have to a program like Accor ?
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
thanks! I saw this when I looked at it but whilst I may be over cautious I did find the phrasing a little ambiguous (as in I wasn’t sure if all those things including charity donations extend validity or if taking a flight was the way to extend validity and if you are not ready to do that here is how you can do something with the miles before they expire).

hopefully I’m just being unduly sceptical of Fb’s phrasings though!!
I interpreted this as you can fly to extend them, or you can spend/donate them before they expire.

Last edited by CosmicGirl; Oct 26, 2022 at 12:22 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 26, 2022, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
I interpreted this is as you can fly to extend them, or you can spend/donate them before they expire.
That's my worry...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.