Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking US Delta Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Booking US Delta Flights

Hi,

Is there something going on as I can't seem to book via APP or online Delta Flights within US via Flying Blue miles? I have tried multiple direct flights and 6 months out as well but nothing is available.

Thank you!
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
No, nothing is going on; there are almost never any domestic Delta flights available to buy using Flying Blue miles.

You'll just have to buy a cash ticket instead.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: FB Gold
∆this. FB availability on DL tends to be nil or very limited.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by 141park
Hi,

Is there something going on as I can't seem to book via APP or online Delta Flights within US via Flying Blue miles? I have tried multiple direct flights and 6 months out as well but nothing is available.
Bolding is mine. Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by that ? If you want to redeem FB miles, you need to do this on AFKLFB sites after being logged in to your FB account.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Bolding is mine. Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by that ? If you want to redeem FB miles, you need to do this on AFKLFB sites after being logged in to your FB account.
What I mean is I can't book Delta flights since there seems to be no availability on Flying Blue APP or Flying Blue site. I had assumed availability would be there to book Delta flights via Flying Blue miles within the US. Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 141park
What I mean is I can't book Delta flights since there seems to be no availability on Flying Blue APP or Flying Blue site. I had assumed availability would be there to book Delta flights via Flying Blue miles within the US. Thanks
You need low availability, which is probably very limited at least through the end of the summer due to revenge travel and DL's limited schedules at this time.

The DL forum has information about what numbers of miles would be considered low on different types of routes (although this doesn't guarantee that DL has made award inventory available to even close partners such as AF/KLM). Assuming that you don't need an account or some RDMs to search for awards on delta.dumb, you could try looking at the award calendar on the DL website to find dates that *might* have availability for you.

Also, AFAIK DL uses married segment logic for award availability, so you might do better if you're booking as part of a TATL award on AF/KLM or DL metal across the pond.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Also, AFAIK DL uses married segment logic for award availability, so you might do better if you're booking as part of a TATL award on AF/KLM or DL metal across the pond.
I wanted a JFK-SFO DL flight, so I ended up booking JFK-AMS-JFK-SFO

Solevita, hhdl, Goldorak and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You need low availability, which is probably very limited at least through the end of the summer due to revenge travel and DL's limited schedules at this time.

The DL forum has information about what numbers of miles would be considered low on different types of routes (although this doesn't guarantee that DL has made award inventory available to even close partners such as AF/KLM). Assuming that you don't need an account or some RDMs to search for awards on delta.dumb, you could try looking at the award calendar on the DL website to find dates that *might* have availability for you.

Running into the same issue, can't find domestic flight availability (for example ATL-SAN) in the FB booking tool. Also for international flights (for example to Santiago de Chile, ATL-SCI) I only get errors.

Is there a general rule of thumb that can be used on how many FB miles equal the required DL miles (as shown in the DL award ticket search) ?
It would be much more convenient to do some flight puzzling on the couch and calculating how many miles to spend, than calling the FB line all the time...
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvanpeters
Is there a general rule of thumb that can be used on how many FB miles equal the required DL miles (as shown in the DL award ticket search) ?
No, there is no "rule of thumb" or equation whereby you can figure, from whatever amount might be required by DL for a Skymiles booking on a particular flight, would be the "equivalent" amount required for a Flying Blue booking on the same flight.

The only rule-of-thumb that applies here is: there are almost never any DL flights available to book in Flying Blue, except where there is at least one transatlantic flight in the ticket.

Here's the results for a search for a one-way Economy redemption, followed by a search for a one-way Business redemption, on ATL-SAN - there is absolutely nothing avaialble to book in FB from now to the end of the booking horizon

If you're based in ATL, and want to be able to book Delta flights other than to Europe using frequent flyer miles, you should probably look at collecting DL Pesos, or just learn to live with the fact that your FB miles will not be convertible into any DL tickets for US or the Americas only.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:28 pm

Better alternative

If you're looking to travel domestic, easy, use Avios/AA
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Mikeact
If you're looking to travel domestic, easy, use Avios/AA
if you have some...
Old Apr 4, 2023, 11:44 am

I'm a little confused. I'd like to book a domestic US DL flight using FB miles. If the flights do not show up on the FB search, does that mean there is not inventory released from DL to FB, or that I just need to call FB to check the availability?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Ed Schwartz
I'm a little confused. I'd like to book a domestic US DL flight using FB miles. If the flights do not show up on the FB search, does that mean there is not inventory released from DL to FB, or that I just need to call FB to check the availability?
The former, almost certainly.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Ed Schwartz
Availability on US domestic flights (DL) for FB members is extremely limited. Good luck.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Availability on US domestic flights (DL) for FB members is extremely limited. Good luck.
I no longer even bother looking. I haven't been able to use FB miles to book a domestic flight for many, many years.
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.