Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation fee for award travel in 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Cancellation fee for award travel in 2022

Hello everyone, I am trying to book a flight from Houston to AMS on KLM (travel in Sept. 2022) using miles. Based on the information on the below link it seems that there is no fee for the cancellation and miles and taxes are to be fully refunded. However cancellation fee as shown on fare rules webpage when booking the flight is EUR 50. Anyone knows more about this or has experienced any cancellation fee while cancelling.

https://www.flyingblue.us/en/landing...ional-measures

I read somewhere that for award ticket cancellation, in 2021,. Anyone know if this is true in 2022?

Last edited by sabya31; May 31, 2022 at 10:41 pm
Old May 31, 2022, 11:28 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I cancelled two award tickets last week and got all miles and taxes back without any fees.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
I cancelled two award tickets last week and got all miles and taxes back without any fees.
Thank you, may I know when did you book these tickets and which month was the travel?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I booked the tickets in May for travel in May.
sabya31 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 7:13 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
That's very interesting. I am pretty sure that at some point this year (March?) the 50 Euro fee was reported being back in effect?
Old Jun 1, 2022, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios
That's very interesting. I am pretty sure that at some point this year (March?) the 50 Euro fee was reported being back in effect?
His comment matches with the policy described on their website (the link I posted), i.e., they are waiving any cancellation fee for reward and promo tickets.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Just be advised that this is a waiver, and it could change at any time with limited notice.

Don't hold on to a reservation for long after you have decided to cancel, lest you lose the ability to benefit from the waiver.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Just be advised that this is a waiver, and it could change at any time with limited notice.

Don't hold on to a reservation for long after you have decided to cancel, lest you lose the ability to benefit from the waiver.
Even as a waiver, they could not do that. Just because it is not in the fare rules does not make it any less part of the contract. If they were to stop the policy, the way it would work would be to re-introduce the fee for any bookings made (or altered) after the policy.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:15 pm

To add as a data point. I had booked my award seats in March (for travel in 2/2023) and made a change on 6/28, and didn’t get hit by any change fees.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Any new data points about miles (non Promo-Award) redeposit fees after June 30th, 2022 ?
My speculative booking shows a €50 per passenger redeposit fee.

Last edited by Travelomania; Aug 16, 2022 at 12:02 pm
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Any new data points about miles (non Promo-Award) redeposit fees after June 30th, 2022 ?
That is correct.

Back to "normal" fare rules.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by mlin32
That is correct.

Back to "normal" fare rules.
Awwww ..... but thanks for your quick response !
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:07 pm

Anyone know if there are any exceptions to this rule for "super" Skyteam Elites ?

i.e. I can cancel any award paid with Delta miles at any time these days for a full refund - the official rule is 72-hrs before departure, but is not strictly enforced for "super" Elite members.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Anyone know if there are any exceptions to this rule for "super" Skyteam Elites ?
There is no such thing as "super" Skyteam Elites (Besides, if you book using Flying Blue, your status in Skymiles is irrelevant)

i.e. I can cancel any award paid with Delta miles at any time these days for a full refund - the official rule is 72-hrs before departure, but is not strictly enforced for "super" Elite members.
No matter what your status is, there is a €50 cancellation fee in Flying Blue. If you wish to benefit from Skymiles cancellation rules, then book using Skymiles.
mlin32 and Solevita like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
No matter what your status is, there is a €50 cancellation fee in Flying Blue. If you wish to benefit from Skymiles cancellation rules, then book using Skymiles.
That is exactly what I've been doing for many years now - very convenient !
However, I'm sitting on a mountain of FB miles and was hoping to put them to good use without the dreaded redeposit fees for the multiple pax in my party.
Life is too uncertain these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.