Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requested perks when flying Y

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Requested perks when flying Y

Just wondering, if you’re greeted personally (as a Flying Blue status holder) when on a flight (in Y) and asked if there’s anything you’d like, what do you ask for? Earlier meal service, drinks from J, seat bump, nothing, something else?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: FB
What do I ask for?
Usually nothing. I'm good.

When do they ask?
Depends:
Long Haul: the purser usually comes through the cabin, looks at the tablet, and recites the recognition line, at least for gold and platinum. In Y, this is usually late in the flight. Beyond that, I haven't gotten much in Y (aside from one of the few empty seats next to me and the occasional op-up to W). On AF in W, there's often an offer to serve the wine from J.
Short Haul: sometimes they'll say that, usually on KL. I've never seen someone ask for something in response. Sometimes, but far from always, they'll give you the "loyalty" speech. On KL, I've seen them move Ultis to the other side of the curtain. Once I got an offer to use the forward lavatory. Once, I was even called by my name (outside of the loyalty speech).

​​​​​​In general, I find the "thank you for your loyalty" speech a little awkward.
FlyingBlonde89 likes this.

Last edited by BubbaX; Apr 1, 2022 at 9:59 pm Reason: The question seems to have changed. Or I can't read.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Diamond Club
Happened once only on a domestic sector, last year. Hand written gretting message, bottle of water and wet towel placed on the seat. This was a nice and unexpected surprise.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:21 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
I am plat but can't recall you can claim more than the usual plat perks (lounge, priority boarding). SOmetimes a personal greeting if they see you are plat. The best I managed was say a 2nd mini-bottle of wine in shorthaul during the coffee round, when they usually serve drinks once....
Old Apr 2, 2022, 3:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Originally Posted by BubbaX
Long Haul: the purser usually comes through the cabin, looks at the tablet, and recites the recognition line, at least for gold and platinum. In Y, this is usually late in the flight.
On my first two long-haul flights since pre-covid last month (CDG-JFK in Y; JFK-CDG in W), I didn't receive a personal greeting or thanks from the purser. Not a big deal of course, but I was a bit surprised and wondered if they have discontinued this or if it's up to each individual purser whether to do it or not?
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingBlonde89
Just wondering, if you’re greeted personally (as a Flying Blue status holder) when on a flight (in Y) and asked if there’s anything you’d like, what do you ask for? Earlier meal service, drinks from J, seat bump, nothing, something else?
What you described is proposed for Ultimates, but not even in 100% of flights. Then Platinums could be greeted on-board but do not usually have special treatments (although it may happen with a glass of champagne or a few attentions). Lower status usually do not have any special greetings. There is also a distinction to be made between short/medium-haul and long-haul. Special greetings and extra attention are more frequent on long-haul flights.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
My experiences with Europe hops.

On AF, I try to select exit row. Let's say 25% of flights there is a personal note on my seat, sometimes it includes bottled water and another wet napkin. I have been lucky to be served champagne in real glass in emergency row when the purser came to ask (after service) how is the flight.
On KL, I have never gotten a thing when seated in exit row. Behind the curtain in extra leg room seats usually there is a hello, I see you are connecting to / from, all good etc..and got lucky a few times to be served cava from the front.
On AF in J for long haul, mini cabin, I do not remember problem when POLITELY asking if there are is enough champagne from LP...Agree the loyalty speeches are a little awkward, more on long haul when people see it, and also on my last CDG-LAX in J another pax next to me got rejected when asking for the same wine from LP menu....To be honest, best Y service as FB Plat used to be on HKG-TPE and vv, Y+ seat (or 747 upper deck with J seat).
Old Apr 2, 2022, 4:36 pm

Programs: FB Gold
I don't expect anything beyond what's dictated in the Skypriority/Gold status benefits. I think it's best that way....

In reality, I have gotten some side perks from some attendants even in Y especially during the last couple years when loads were light. Not going to mention them specifically so as not to raise expectations, but they were nice touches.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atflyer
I am plat but can't recall you can claim more than the usual plat perks (lounge, priority boarding). SOmetimes a personal greeting if they see you are plat. The best I managed was say a 2nd mini-bottle of wine in shorthaul during the coffee round, when they usually serve drinks once....
Is there rationing now?? AFAIK, it was always possible to get a second drink if desired and this is not linked to status.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB
AFAIK, it was always possible to get a second drink if desired and this is not linked to status.
yes, I confirm.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I don't fly AF, so I can't say, but on KLM it's been four years or so since I was addressed by name while travelling in Y and was offered an upgrade for miles - so it was a sales pitch. In J it's much more common (because it's normal procedure). Recently flew in Eco Comfort on longhaul with my wife (also Plat) and our daughter (Gold), and there was nothing special. In one of those post-flight surveys they ask something along the lines of "Did you feel as a special valued customer", and I never had a reason to answer yes to that question.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:00 pm

On my KLM flights, that greetings almost never happens. They used to do it long ago, but in the past several years that rarely happens anymore. On Airfrance flights however, I've had that greetings often, and definitely everytime in the past few flights. A couple of times, they voluntarily brought me the toiletries bag from business class.

Once on a KLM flight, I did ask casually why there's no sake on a flight to Tokyo... and they responded sure there is, in business class, and then he brought a little bottle of sake each for me and my neighbor - an old Japanese man who speaks no English and was very happy about it.

Other than I've never asked specifically for anything, it's a nice gesture from them, not something I would ask for nor expect.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:36 am
Original Poster

I agree that the loyalty speech tends to be awkward but I rather enjoy when they address me by name/personally greet me (on a recent YUL-CDG the purser was summoned by my neighbour but effortlessly slipped in a 'Welcome back Ms FlyingBlonde, glad you're with us again.' before stepping away (much to the bemusement of the couple asking him for assistance).

I never ask for anything because I suppose I can never think of anything reasonable to request. Occasionally if they offer me something specific (an extra drink, early meal service etc.) I would take it but have also found in flights in the last year I'm addressed personally less often than pre-covid.

Last edited by FlyingBlonde89; Apr 5, 2022 at 9:51 am Reason: clarification
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicknmyap
Once on a KLM flight, I did ask casually why there's no sake on a flight to Tokyo... and they responded sure there is, in business class, and then he brought a little bottle of sake each for me and my neighbor - an old Japanese man who speaks no English and was very happy about it.
This is lovely. I had a short haul AMS-LHR (I think) and was offered real milk in my tea which was a nice (English) touch that stuck with me.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
I don't fly AF, so I can't say, but on KLM it's been four years or so since I was addressed by name while travelling in Y and was offered an upgrade for miles - so it was a sales pitch. In J it's much more common (because it's normal procedure). Recently flew in Eco Comfort on longhaul with my wife (also Plat) and our daughter (Gold), and there was nothing special. In one of those post-flight surveys they ask something along the lines of "Did you feel as a special valued customer", and I never had a reason to answer yes to that question.
Ugh, I had the sales pitch in Y. They didn't bother greeting me by name; I think they just had a list of passengers with more than 100k miles on their account and went around asking individually if we wanted to upgrade. I found it incredibly tacky to not bother addressing the status but to just launch into a sales pitch... admittedly the purser had already irritated me by looking me up and down a few times and (presumably) deciding that a 'young woman' was unlikely to be the Platinum status holder so instead addressed older women in the row in front and behind by my name then was visibly surprised when I identified myself (anyone else have this experience or just bad luck?). I was flying with Mr FlyingBlonde (who was Silver at the time) and pointed out that I was aware of the upgrade option but would rather be in Y with my companion than J on my own. (Needless to say the purser avoided me for the rest of the flight )
carnarvon and hhdl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.