Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reach Platinum and switch to Star Alliance?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by itaexpat
Correct. To your question below, the outbound is where I used 68,400 miles at the check-in counter (last minute) to upgrade to business. I earned 50XP on this leg because I had switched my ticket from economy to premium economy (paying $334 - and I believe doing so unlocked the eligibility to a business upgrade, because I had been told I wasn't able to get an upgrade from economy). BOS-CDG premium economy: 20XP x 2 (promotion) + CDG-Italy: 5XP x 2. Original economy ticket was $657. These are below average fares for a Christmastime US-EU ticket (thanks covid?). Obviously, I flew business but earned prem eco XP.

I have not, and this is not an award upgrade (which would not earn additional XP), this is a ticket change akin to my switch from economy to premium economy on the outbound leg. This causes reticketing and additional XP earning (I can say so confidently since I did it on the outbound):

My original questions were:
  1. Is this worth it?
  2. Is this pushing the total financial investment in this ticket ($657 + $334 + 68,400 miles + $930 = $1921 + 68,400 miles) beyond what is reasonable for a RT business class ticket from US east coast to Europe, at the net of any personal financial situation? (I thought this was an objective question to ask, but perhaps it is not)
Bygones are bygones. Don't look backward but forward. Your choice now is Y with 2x15XP, or J with 2x45XP and $930.

If these 60XP make all the difference for qualifying for Plat (no other flights before renewal), that is a way to extend your STE+ for an extra year and get a comfy flight back to BOS.
I do not know how loaded is your flight. Currently, it is often the case that the premium cabins are quite full, but Y very empty (at least to Asia). Travelling in Y on a very long flight with a row to lie down for yourself is not a bad choice. But for an 8 hour day flight...

As others said, FB Gold and UA Gold are the plain-vanilla top levels for ST and *A, so Plat won't make a whale of a difference. It's really the super top airline levels (like 1K and Ulti) that make a difference.

I am not you, but personally I would be inclined to go J
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:11 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
Originally Posted by itaexpat
This would be an actual ticket change to business, not a last minute upgrade, so I would earn business class XP.

I get that (also no, I dont make that kind of money) my point was more about whether the sum of all parts (cash+miles) that went into this RT ticket was exceeding normalcy for a RT US to/from Europe business class ticket. No need to reply further on this I can do my own math, was just trying to get a sense of whether I was crazy or not.

Ive been able to check 2 bags free with delta as STE+! I guess it may vary.
careful because I did the same a month ago, upgraded from eco to biz and the awarded XP were the original trip's class (eco). it was not a last minute change, it was done a couple of weeks in advance via the app.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Even from DEN, Star Alliance European coverage with LH and UA is not that great. There are many destinations that would require a change of plane somewhere. If you strongly prefer DL, their DEN coverage is actually not bad and can get you to most places in Europe with one stop. Also I think AF started a CDG flight from DEN.
JournoFlyer and hhdl like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:10 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Ultimate
Originally Posted by straniero
careful because I did the same a month ago, upgraded from eco to biz and the awarded XP were the original trip's class (eco). it was not a last minute change, it was done a couple of weeks in advance via the app.
Very strange, unless you used miles to upgrade.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 4:02 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
nope, cash. I was quite saddened, though the 5xps are not really making a huge difference.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold
Originally Posted by straniero
nope, cash. I was quite saddened, though the 5xps are not really making a huge difference.
did you issue a claim?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 3:27 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Well, I do that for most of my tickets, changing my company-issued Y tickets to W or C/J and paying the fare difference. I've never had a problem. I would probably be both upset and confident that a call to AF would solve the problem instantly.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 4:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
$379 + $930 = $1309 for the return portion of your flight.

It's a perfectly average figure, if certainly not deep discount territory.

Don't overthink it. Forget the outbound, it's spent.

Your alternatives would be to get a double or triple intra EU flight in J. That will cost you north of $600 and earn you 200+ XP.
Is that an option for you? Maybe. Doing Mile Runs during a pandemic that don't serve a travel purpose? Maybe not.

I do not live in the US but if it were me I would probably go the extra mile to keep flying DL rather than switch to UA or AA. But I am the kind of person who like extending their flying time if they get the chance, so would even be 2 birds 1 stone!
Old Jan 3, 2022, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, United Premier Silver
Alright, forked the money, enjoyed a nice, restful, relaxing business class trip back to BOS, and reached Platinum. The "upgrade" was effectively a ticket class change earning additional XPs. I got to fly one of the new A220 on the European leg and it was slick. The business cabin was also one of the newest and it really does feel premium.

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
Even from DEN, Star Alliance European coverage with LH and UA is not that great. There are many destinations that would require a change of plane somewhere. If you strongly prefer DL, their DEN coverage is actually not bad and can get you to most places in Europe with one stop. Also I think AF started a CDG flight from DEN.
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
I do not live in the US but if it were me I would probably go the extra mile to keep flying DL rather than switch to UA or AA. But I am the kind of person who like extending their flying time if they get the chance, so would even be 2 birds 1 stone!
This is reassuring to hear. On the one hand, I'd be sad not to enjoy the extra benefits coming from being Platinum, including increased chances of DL upgrades in the US. On the other, Omicron will likely squash chances of at least 2 business trips in Q1 this year, one domestic and the other international -- reaching status on United doesn't feel within easy reach any more, with or without a status match challenge. Sadly, it also really doesn't seem like DEN has good coverage regardless of airlines... I'll definitely miss the convenience of living in BOS flight wise.

I'll see as I go but sticking to DL/AF/KL feels familiar territory, plus I really dislike United vs Delta. Wifi on United is terrible, economy seats are crammed, their outlets *never* work... I wouldn't be happy with an alliance switch.

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
You’re welcome. I really dislike United and I used to live in Chicago! At the time it would have been easy to fly mostly United as the hometown airline but I chose to mainly fly Alaska and Delta.

As for why I dislike United, it seemed to me that United didn’t really care about passengers. I had too many experiences with seeing hostile employees (FAs and GAs) acting more like prison guards than hospitality agents. This culminated in the Dr Dao dragging incident and UA reneging on lifetime club membership terms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.