Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will same-day standby impact connecting flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AF Explorer, Marriott Gold,
Will same-day standby impact connecting flight?

I purchased a ticket on AF and will depart this Wednesday. The outbound is IAH ->ATL -> CDG with a 1:17 connection time in ATL. The first leg is a codeshare with DL.
I received some advice in another forum which gave me confidence that I could make it from the arrival gate to the int'l terminal if I follow the signs and hustle.

I contacted AF about taking an earlier flight to ATL and they wanted $2700 to reissue the ticket. I looked on Delta's website and saw that they will do a same-day standby for only $75. Since my flight is a codeshare, can I do this? I'd really like the extra time cushion in case of delays in IAH, but I definitely do not want to do anything that will screw up my continuing flight to CDG! Thoughts?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Make sure that your ticket remains intact and that you are not declared a no-show for your original flight, which would auto cancel your entire remaking ticket to Paris, including the return.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AF Explorer, Marriott Gold,
Thank you! So what is the best way to ensure that happens? If I wait to process the standby request at the airport (rather than doing it over the phone) and they hand me boarding passes for both flights, will that be sufficient?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I might be wrong and you may want to check this on the DL forum but my understanding is that the $75 standby is for domestic (and assimilated, i.e. intra-North America) itineraries only, not for itineraries which include inter-continental segments.
KCWatORD likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by NickB
I might be wrong and you may want to check this on the DL forum but my understanding is that the $75 standby is for domestic (and assimilated, i.e. intra-North America) itineraries only, not for itineraries which include inter-continental segments.
I believe this s correct.
To OP : do not worry. 1h15 in that direction is more than enough. I have made many times that kind of connection in ATL from the furthest gate of A or B concourses to the further end of F concourse (AF gate is usually F1 or F2) in 15 min gate-to-gate. Worst case scenario is AF/DL will rebook you on the next flight to CDG (there are 4 daily flights on this route).
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think you may be right.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:22 am

Why pay for something that isn’t your problem? When the connection in ATL can not be made, AF will rebook you on a new route to CDG. Can be direct, via DTW, JFK, BOS or just a later flight at ATL.
AurelAF96 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
That shall be correct.

Same-day confirmed or Same-day standby shall not be on an itinerary that has an international flight except US-Canada. As long as there is an international segment, we can no longer SDC, even for the domestic or transborder segment.

Talked to the check-in agent multiple times at YUL/YOW to Mexico or South America and they ALWAYS refused to SDC on any flights in the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.