Wiki Posts
Search

Ticketing Paid tickets for Award Routings

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Ticketing Paid tickets for Award Routings

Random question, sorry if it was earlier asked, I was not able to find an answer.

When I want to book award tickets (from NBO to CDG), options usually involve very exotic routings (from NBO) on top of direct flights. For instance, transiting in Kinshasa, Joburg Djibouti or DXB (on mix KQ/AF flights), what I never find online when trying to book a paid ticket. However, some of those tickets could make sense to me as paid tickets (MR or >24h layovers). My questions:

1. If there is an award ticket available, does this mean that this routing can effectively be ticketed as a paid ticket if I was to call the AF customer service ?
2. Would there be a link between the amount of miles needed and the expected money price to pay ?

Thank you for your insights
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:46 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by offvoice
Random question, sorry if it was earlier asked, I was not able to find an answer.

When I want to book award tickets (from NBO to CDG), options usually involve very exotic routings (from NBO) on top of direct flights. For instance, transiting in Kinshasa, Joburg Djibouti or DXB (on mix KQ/AF flights), what I never find online when trying to book a paid ticket. However, some of those tickets could make sense to me as paid tickets (MR or >24h layovers). My questions:

1. If there is an award ticket available, does this mean that this routing can effectively be ticketed as a paid ticket if I was to call the AF customer service ?
2. Would there be a link between the amount of miles needed and the expected money price to pay ?

Thank you for your insights
1 = usually yes , but not always
2 = no , as the amount of miles needed is dynamic
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
And with exotic routings like those, one has to be very careful about potential visa requirements for the transit which may involve having to go landside.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:52 am

If the 'exotic' routing is all AF/KL marketed you might have some luck, but if it's a mix of KQ/AF you're fairly unlikely to be able to book them with AF, and even if it would be possible the price is most likely going to be very expensive. (for example KL might sell you KQ AMS-NBO-CPT but only at Y fare)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.