Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Is there any way to estimate an upgrade to Business at checkin chances?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, oneworld

Hello!
I'm flying from CDG to SEA on 12/2, AF338. Looks like theres a couple biz seats left and I've been reading and trying to understand when a paid upgrade might become available so I can be on the website to grab it if it does. I've been reading about peoples experiences but confused about when these are released.
Does anyone have any knowledge of when I should check back? Does it matter that I have a Basic Economy ticket?
Thank you!
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You will see this at OLCI. If nothing is propose to you at that time, you may check again going back to the seat map using AF app. And last chance, you can ask at check-in counter.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
You will see this at OLCI. If nothing is propose to you at that time, you may check again going back to the seat map using AF app. And last chance, you can ask at check-in counter.
thank you for clarifying when it may be visible. 🙂
Old Nov 30, 2019, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sftopher1209
I'm flying from CDG to SEA on 12/2, AF338. Looks like theres a couple biz seats left and I've been reading and trying to understand when a paid upgrade might become available so I can be on the website to grab it if it does.
You mention upgrading at checkin in the title, but then in the thread talk about "when a paid upgrade might become available".

Given that an online check-in offer clearly only becomes available during online checkin - is there something I'm missing?

You can always buy a paid upgrade.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You mention upgrading at checkin in the title, but then in the thread talk about "when a paid upgrade might become available".

Given that an online check-in offer clearly only becomes available during online checkin - is there something I'm missing?

Thank you for clarifying it’s always an option. I don’t believe anything regarding airline fares and upgrade options happens every single time.

I was wondering if it’s visible sooner than OLCI.

Last edited by sftopher1209; Nov 30, 2019 at 11:56 am
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Hmmm, I don’t follow you on this one or I am missing your point. Paid upgrades with AFKL are only available at check-in. What’s available all the time is changing a Y or W ticket in a J one by paying the fare difference. But this not an upgrade in the sense OP is asking, as you are just buying J.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Hmmm, I don’t follow you on this one or I am missing your point. Paid upgrades with AFKL are only available at check-in. What’s available all the time is changing a Y or W ticket in a J one by paying the fare difference. But this not an upgrade in the sense OP is asking, as you are just buying J.
Changing a ticket to a higher class - regardless of the manner of doing so - is an upgrade. Whether done well ahead of time (including change fee and fare difference), by taking part in an upgrade auction (not available on AFKL), by responding to an offer sent by email, by responding to an offer made during OLCI, or by enquiring at the airport/lounge.

Even using Flying Blue miles, ahead of time, at the airport, or even onboard, can lead to an upgrade!

The OP seems to enquire specifically about upgrade offers at check-in - which, as you say, are only offered during check-in - but it should be self-evident that online check-in offers are only available during online check-in. Therefore, in case the OP thinks that this is the only mechanism, it seems worthwhile spelling out that that's not the only way that upgrades can/should be secured. Such upgrades may end up costing less, if offered, but they are not the only way to upgrade from Y to J.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 1, 2019, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the input. Perhaps my question wasn't so clear. I'd read elsewhere on this site about prices for it being set at something like -50 hours and wondered if it was going to be visible at some point before check in at -30 hours. Also, since there were only two seats left to be booked at the time, I was unsure if they would even offer it and wondered what the chances were that they would. At any rate, I scored the upgrade to SEA at check in for less than €600. Seemed like a deal to me since my total round trip originally was less than $500 USD.

I haven't posted much here and I appreciate peoples willingness to understand my unclear question and try to help.
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.