Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy round trip but abandon return leg?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Buy round trip but abandon return leg?

I’m debating to buy a round trip ticket but may abandon the return leg because one way ticket with Air France is expensive from USA. Is it okay or not? I have never done this before. If there’s a trick to buy one way ticket with airfrance please let me know as well.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
Originally Posted by flybie
I’m debating to buy a round trip ticket but may abandon the return leg because one way ticket with Air France is expensive from USA. Is it okay or not? I have never done this before. If there’s a trick to buy one way ticket with airfrance please let me know as well.
Use FB miles?

Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

No, use cash.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
People change travel plans all the time and don't take return flights. If the RT is cheaper don't worry about it.
asimegusta likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:40 pm

No, use cash.
What Andy49 meant was that using miles is (often) a good alternative for One way flights...
Andy49 and irishguy28 like this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I’m debating to buy a round trip ticket but may abandon the return leg because one way ticket with Air France is expensive from USA. Is it okay or not?
What is your concern? If you ask the airline, of course they would say it's not ok. But it's unlikely there will be a consequence for you.if you do it.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
The common wisdom and experience is - if you do this occasionally, they won't go after it. If structurally, I believe they have this clause that they can charge a penalty. But I have done this throw-away ticketing on an occasional basis and never had a problem. And yes, as one of the other posters suggested, using miles (if you have them) for a one way is often of the best value to spent them. Since you apparently want to fly US-France, a night flight, consider biz (again, if you have the miles). Did that once when I had to piece together a round-the world thing with meetings in Paris, Japan, and Mexico. For Paris-Japan and Japan-Mex I could find decently priced one ways. Could not find a decent priced MEX-NL ticket and used miles for a biz flight (while the organisation inviting me gave a lump sum compensation for travel and the like). When I book award tickets, it is very often on one-ways.
newflyer27 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Don't make this a habit. They won't go after you for a single occurence.

We'll see what comes out of the Lufthansa lawsuit, maybe they will just make it so an airline can't come after you.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Don't make this a habit. They won't go after you for a single occurence.

We'll see what comes out of the Lufthansa lawsuit, maybe they will just make it so an airline can't come after you.
a friend of mine who started recently going to DUS quite often for work for 1 or 2 days max uses this "trick" often and takes the return instead of one way. He comes back with train sometimes or another return flight. He even call the elite line and asks for tax refund and he gets it without any problem. I was surprised. I actually told him before this that he should not ask for tax refund not to alert them he is doing this but he did it 4 times this month already and got 20 euros back from each flight (100 euros return ticket).
Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by newflyer27
a friend of mine who started recently going to DUS quite often for work for 1 or 2 days max uses this "trick" often and takes the return instead of one way. He comes back with train sometimes or another return flight. He even call the elite line and asks for tax refund and he gets it without any problem. I was surprised. I actually told him before this that he should not ask for tax refund not to alert them he is doing this but he did it 4 times this month already and got 20 euros back from each flight (100 euros return ticket).
The Plat line is definitely not shy when it comes to selling you a return ticket when it is cheaper than a OW.

They even searched for the the best date for the return so that the ticket is cheaper.

They all find it illogical that a RT ticket can be cheaper than an OW.

Indeed, a return cheaper than 2 OW makes sense, but a RT cheaper than ONE OW is not right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.