Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

Booking through Delta, on AF flight - Flying Blue points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA

Prices for an upcoming business class flight are much cheaper on Delta site than on Air France or KLM although flights are with AF. If I book via Delta, will I get points on my Flying Blue account? Websites are unclear!
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by gjb2ac
Prices for an upcoming business class flight are much cheaper on Delta site than on Air France or KLM although flights are with AF. If I book via Delta, will I get points on my Flying Blue account? Websites are unclear!
Yes.

The contrary would defeat the purpose of Skyteam.

P.s. Websites are unclear???
Old Sep 25, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Air Europa Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Another reason to book with Delta is that you should earn miles based on the miles flown rather than euros spent (=many more miles in most cases).
Old Sep 26, 2019, 12:49 am

Assuming the booking class is eligible for earning miles in FB then there should be no issue, it is clearly explained in the flying blue website - https://www.flyingblue.nl/en/partner...s/presentation
I would advise to make sure you are not logged in to Delta's website to make sure the only FFP number in the booking is Flying Blue...
Old Sep 26, 2019, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
There are Flying Blue miles, and there are Experience Points (XPs).

Regardless of whether the flights have an AF or DL code, they will earn the same amount of XPs.
If you buy them with AF codes, then the Flying Blue miles earned are a function of the price you paid for the ticket.
If you buy them with DL codes, then the Flying Blue miles earned are a fucntion of the fare classes of each individual DL-coded sector.

In almost all cases, you will earn more Flying Blue miles for the same flights by buying those flights under DL codeshares than by buying them as AF-coded flights.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / SkyTeam Elite Plus
Sorry to "hijack" this thread but I have a similar puzzle, this time for flights that I've already taken. And I'd like to know whether this is something I missed or whether there was some kind of electronic bug.

This itinerary was booked on the Air France website.

Sept 13 - KL2002 CDG-AMS (operated by Air France AF1240)
Sept 13 - KL6017 AMS-BOS (operated by Delta DL259)
Sept 21 - AF3634 JFK-CDG (operated by Delta DL264)

The weird thing here is that when the miles were credited to my account, the first two flights were "based on money spent" (i.e. the AF/KL scheme) and the third flight was "based on distance, booking class, and elite bonus" (the Skyteam partner scheme).

Does anyone know why this happened? Not complaining at all, but I'd love to understand the reason behind this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by JournoFlyer
Does anyone know why this happened? Not complaining at all, but I'd love to understand the reason behind this.
Does the last flight show as DL264 rather than AF3634 in your Flying Blue statement? Was your ticket, perhaps somehow changed/reissued by DL (any irrops, upgrade, paid services or some other "tinkering" with your flight or ticket?). If so, no surprise that it earned based on distance.

If it posted as AF3634 but they still used distance/cabin, then that seems to indicate that they were unable to determine the fare component for this sector, and therefore fell back on distance/cabin.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HalconBCN
Another reason to book with Delta is that you should earn miles based on the miles flown rather than euros spent (=many more miles in most cases).
Unless that person is chasing UXP which must be AF/KL coded flights.

Otherwise, much more miles purchasing through DL in 80% of the cases.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Does the last flight show as DL264 rather than AF3634 in your Flying Blue statement? Was your ticket, perhaps somehow changed/reissued by DL (any irrops, upgrade, paid services or some other "tinkering" with your flight or ticket?). If so, no surprise that it earned based on distance.

If it posted as AF3634 but they still used distance/cabin, then that seems to indicate that they were unable to determine the fare component for this sector, and therefore fell back on distance/cabin.
The boarding pass (both paper and Delta app versions) showed as AF3634. I had initially tried to check-in online via the Air France app but it automatically sent me to the Delta app (as opposed to the outbound journey, but I'm guessing that's because the outbound *began* with an AF flight).

But you're right, it does come up as DL264 in my Flying Blue statement. However, no upgrade, no paid services.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tbaiyun
Unless that person is chasing UXP which must be AF/KL coded flights.

Otherwise, much more miles purchasing through DL in 80% of the cases.
Presumably, you mean marketed by DL (viz. sold with a DL code for the flight) rather than purchased through DL (viz. sold on Delta 006 paper).
For FB, it does not matter one jot whether you buy your ticket from AF, from DL or from a travel agent in a tiny hut deep in the Gobi desert using KE plates to issue the ticket. What matters is the marketing carrier rather than the ticketing carrier.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:10 pm

I think the answer to your question is what FF # you give them as part of the reservation (which in my experience can be changed at any point before, during or after the trip) - give them a Flying Blue account, and you get credit in that program. Give them your Delta Skymiles account, and your credit will show up there - you just have to pick one or the other.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Sorry to "hijack" this thread but I have a similar puzzle, this time for flights that I've already taken. And I'd like to know whether this is something I missed or whether there was some kind of electronic bug.

This itinerary was booked on the Air France website.

Sept 13 - KL2002 CDG-AMS (operated by Air France AF1240)
Sept 13 - KL6017 AMS-BOS (operated by Delta DL259)
Sept 21 - AF3634 JFK-CDG (operated by Delta DL264)

The weird thing here is that when the miles were credited to my account, the first two flights were "based on money spent" (i.e. the AF/KL scheme) and the third flight was "based on distance, booking class, and elite bonus" (the Skyteam partner scheme).

This is likely a glitch. Make the calculation to know if you would have earn more miles with the revenue-based system and make a retroclaim only in this case.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
This is likely a glitch. Make the calculation to know if you would have earn more miles with the revenue-based system and make a retroclaim only in this case.
Thanks for the reply, Goldorak! How can I find out what I would have earned with the revenue-based system? Is there a way to work out what each leg of the itinerary cost me, without taxes?

In any case it's highly likely I earned more thanks to the glitch (the ticket was a low-fare economy ticket!)
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the reply, Goldorak! How can I find out what I would have earned with the revenue-based system? Is there a way to work out what each leg of the itinerary cost me, without taxes?
AIUI, they prorate to distance, so just take the fare without taxes*, convert to euros if required, divide by the number of miles for the total itinerary, then multiply by the number of miles for the specific leg and then use the appropriate FB multiplier (between 4 and 8) depending on your status.
This will not be 100% accurate but should give you a reasonable idea.

*: but do include carrier surcharges
JournoFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
In any case it's highly likely I earned more thanks to the glitch (the ticket was a low-fare economy ticket!)
Indeed, it is likely that you have earned more miles with the glitch !!
JournoFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.