Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrading employer / Amex booking online

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Upgrading employer / Amex booking online

Hi. I am reasonably new to Flying Blue, having just started flying with AF/KLM with a new employer having not flown with them for 6 or 7 years.

My employer books my flights for me, via Amex corporate travel. Generally they book fully-flexible Economy fares. I am trying to upgrade a flight (mixed AF/KLM booking) online myself at my own cost, something I was able to do successfully on a previous flight they booked for me via Amex. But this time I am informed that I must contact my point of sale to make changes.

Will I be able to make any changes if I call them or will they direct me to Amex travel?

If so, this is very strange as I was able to make changes online for my last flight...

Many thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Hello

when you buy a ticket from a 3rd party vendor you normally/usually cant modify all aspects of your booking directly with airline until take off (or the moment you checkin i am not 100% sure ) , so you need to ask amex to do it on your behalf and the cost will be paid later

You can do basic stuffs like changing seat , adding luggage and so on.....

If your company is efficient and accounting is not a pain in the @$$ , they can allow you to make such requests and then you will pay them back later . Otherwise try to upgrade during checkin , this can be done directly with airline and won't involve amex and your company

what was the configuration of your last flight ? same airline ?? also what did you changed last time ??

Last edited by fifty_two; Aug 19, 2019 at 12:46 am
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the swift reply.

Last booking was a one-way fully flex economy fare NCL-CDG-ALG with AF. This time my booking is a mix of AF / KLM (NCL-CDG-ALG, MAD-AMS-MME).

I managed to choose a seat in the Business cabin of NCL-CDG (so maybes not technically an "upgrade"?) which cost me £54 I think.

There was the option of a definite upgrade on the next leg but I didn't bother as it was €400+.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:40 am

You basically have 3 options:
1. If you have miles, call Flying Blue and enquire about an upgrade with miles
2. Call Amex and change your ticket to J, from personal experience they have no problem processing such changes and charge it to your personal credit card
3. Wait for OLCI and hope for an upgrade there, or wait for DOD and enquire at the checkin counter/lounge/gate.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:36 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UTFB

Last booking was a one-way fully flex economy fare NCL-CDG-ALG with AF. This time my booking is a mix of AF / KLM (NCL-CDG-ALG, MAD-AMS-MME).

I managed to choose a seat in the Business cabin of NCL-CDG (so maybes not technically an "upgrade"?) which cost me £54 I think.

There was the option of a definite upgrade on the next leg but I didn't bother as it was €400+.
Selecting a seat in the business cabin does count as an upgrade.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is largely your employer's decision. Corporate contracts give the discretion to the employer. If the employer has chosen not to permit employees to make changes, even at their own expense, then the TA, Amex in this case, will not do so.

You need to do a bit of research here. As whoever has the travel management portfolio to administer. At the same time, remember that it is becoming ever more common for employers to permit an employee to keep a personal card on file and for the corporate TA to charge the cost of the allowable ticket to the corporate account and any balance to the personal card. Thus, less hassle for all concerned and the accounting is much cleaner.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by fifty_two
when you buy a ticket from a 3rd party vendor you normally/usually cant modify all aspects of your booking directly with airline until take off (or the moment you checkin i am not 100% sure )
This is correct. You have to deal with the TA/issuer until the day of departure for the outbound (or eventually the day before when OLCI starts). You can deal with the carrier directly on the day of departure to handle change of flights, stand-by, paid upgades, etc (note that paid upgrades can be handled directly with the airline as soon as OLCI opens). Then once the outbound is flown, you can also usually deal directly with the carrier to handle changes for the return flight.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Lightbulb

No problem , you are welcome

When did you received this offer ? during booking confirmation ? you received an offer by email ? or at online checkin ?

welcome to AFKL dynamic pricing !
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two

When did you received this offer ? during booking confirmation ? you received an offer by email ? or at online checkin ?
I think it was when I was able to select my seats, so when check in was open. I noticed that Row 1 was available at a cost of £54ish so chose it. compared to much cheaper for standard seats further back. Hence my confusion as to whether this was actually an upgrade, but another poster above confirms it is.

Although only a short hop from NCL-CDG I did enjoy the meal and the champagne was Laurent-Perrier, so a step up from BA's Castlenau offering which I am used to!

I will call up both AF and Amex if necessary and try to arrange an upgrade on the phone for my next flights.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

I think it was when I was able to select my seats, so when check in was open. I noticed that Row 1 was available at a cost of £54ish so chose it. compared to much cheaper for standard seats further back. Hence my confusion as to whether this was actually an upgrade, but another poster above confirms it is.
So yes , if you booked economy and then paid for a business class seat therefore it is an upgrade

This is at online checkin , and as i said , it doesnt involve amex and/or your company anymore so you can upgrade at your own costs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.