Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to Understand Upgrade Availability for AF

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by flywithmiles70
Another update as of today. . . I'm now seeing Z availability on this flight with Z9 showing in EF. When I check the same flight with KVS tool it shows award availability "CS+". When I look up "CS" on the KVS user guide for Air France it shows:

O/CS Business Award

This leads me to believe that "O" is the same as "CS" and therefore there should be "O" availability now for this flight. However, after just speaking with AF they are telling me there is no "O" availability. Is "O" and "CS" the same? What am I missing?

I also asked a couple of the FB agents "What is the likelihood that "O" will become available as the departure date nears. Both representatives gave me the impression that is it not likely and just said you can try to upgrade on DoD. If that's the case, can I upgrade 24 hours prior online? Phone? Or must I wait to get to the airport?
Personal experience when finding upgrade availability for AF.

You can go to AF's website and see what is the minimum miles for an award BIZ ticket. Example, for the line I took the most often, YUL-CDG, it used to be 62500 before April 1st, and now it is 53000. So when for that specific date, you find there is an award ticket that is showing that value, there is an opening O class on that flight.

O available on AF345 but not AF349.

I checked on Flying Blue and it said the minimum miles that it need for a BIZ ticket is 57500. So if you can find a reward at that price, there is opening O seat:

AF007 is the only one that you can get a chance to upgrade with miles. (This screenshot took for a date somewhere in April though....)

PS: JFK-CDG is usually very tough to get upgraded. Good luck!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Airlines Gold
@tbaiyun That is exactly what I did today. As a matter of fact I am flying on AF007. Today there is availability for an award seat at 57,500 miles for the date I'm traveling. Once I saw that I immediately called FB and told them I wanted to upgrade with miles. They told me it wasn't available for upgrade since there was no "O" availability. I told the agent but there is "O" availability given I can book it on the AF website for the least amount of miles (57,500). I even confirmed availability with EF. We went back and forth and I even tried to ask for a supervisor but was not successful. The agent kept repeating there must be "O" availability. So I'm completely lost on how they make these upgrades available since, like you, I thought there was "O" availability given there was award availability for biz class with the least amount of miles.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:28 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

When I check the same flight with KVS tool it shows award availability "CS+". When I look up "CS" on the KVS user guide for Air France it shows:

O/CS Business Award

This leads me to believe that "O" is the same as "CS" and therefore there should be "O" availability now for this flight. However, after just speaking with AF they are telling me there is no "O" availability. Is "O" and "CS" the same? What am I missing?
That is correct.

What is your flight date?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
That is correct.

I have filed a complaint at FB for a similar matter.

The “reinvented” FB did state that all seats could be upgrades subject to availability of course because they wanted to make the program “more simple”.
The opposite is true. Whereas before 1 June, availability of an award ticket would also mean availability for upgrade a paid ticmet with miles, now a upgrade with miles on a paid ticket is ridiculously blurry.

So the new new program caused:
- On long haul much less earnings (less than 40%)
- In general less earnings in total as a increased short haul earning can not compensate for the miles lost on long haul.
- much higher redemption rates. J cabins are now up to 500.000 miles for a one way ticket.
- much less redemption availability

This makes FB the least attractive FF program compared to Oneworld and Star Alliance programs.

FB DID admit to me that they couldn’t keep their promises that every paid seat was upgradable to a higher class of cabin subject to availability. It was a lie and they admitted it. I have it in an email from the PSL.

I find it disgraceful to punish their most loyal customers in this way. They know we can not be without them, at least for my sake. I need to fly shorthaul SkyTeam on a regular basis. There are no other reasonable options.

But on long haul there are many and I moved all my long haul to Oneworld and I am Sapphire there now. Also with lounge access and extra luggage etc.
And avios are much easier to use for upgrades and earnings are also much higher. It’s a no brainer for me. My precious FB miles got nearly worthless after 1 June.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Another update as of today. . . I'm now seeing Z availability on this flight with Z9 showing in EF. When I check the same flight with KVS tool it shows award availability "CS+". When I look up "CS" on the KVS user guide for Air France it shows:

O/CS Business Award

I also asked a couple of the FB agents "What is the likelihood that "O" will become available as the departure date nears. Both representatives gave me the impression that is it not likely and just said you can try to upgrade on DoD. If that's the case, can I upgrade 24 hours prior online? Phone? Or must I wait to get to the airport?
you can upgrade on DoD 24hrs before at OLCI if the offer is available to you (it is targeted). If you don’t have this possibility proposed, you can try at the airport.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
btw. speaking of old program and W fare, it’s not true that you could always upgrade if Z is available (for 22500 miles instead of 15000). I remember one case, where mileage upgrade wasn’t available for CDG-SFO (there was $208 fare difference only for W to Z, so I just changed the ticket).
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KVS
That is correct.

Flight date is 12/24/18.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:41 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Flight date is 12/24/18.
There is definitely O (AKA CS) on that flight -- you may wish to try a different FB call centre:

[KVS Tool 9.1.0/Diamond - Awards/AF-SkyTeam/US-AF]
Code:
NYC  New York Metro NY US = JFK LGA EWR
PAR  Paris Metro FR = CDG ORY BVA LBG XPG XJY
MON  24 Dec 2018 | 1 Seat

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
AF         7       JFK   18:40     CDG   08:00 +1  388      CS+  WV+  YV+
AF         9       JFK   22:50     CDG   12:00 +1  772      CS+  WV+  YV+
AF         23      JFK   16:35     CDG   05:50 +1  77W      CV+  WV+  YV+
AF         19      JFK   19:30     ORY   08:55 +1  772      CV+  WV+  YV+
AF         11      JFK   21:30     CDG   10:55 +1  772      CV+  WV+  YV+
KL         642     JFK   17:45     AMS   06:50 +1  744      CS+  WX/  YV+
 -> KL     1229    AMS   08:10 +1  CDG   09:35 +1  738
KL         642     JFK   17:45     AMS   06:50 +1  744      CV+  WX/  YV+
 -> AF     1241    AMS   09:25 +1  CDG   10:45 +1  321
KL         644     JFK   21:30     AMS   10:40 +1  789      CV+  WX/  YV+
 -> KL     1233    AMS   12:25 +1  CDG   13:40 +1  738
AZ         611     JFK   21:50     FCO   12:05 +1  330      CS0  WS~  YS+
 -> AF/JN  1105    FCO   13:05 +1  CDG   15:20 +1  320
DL         1       JFK   19:00     LHR   07:00 +1  333      CS+  WS~  YS0
 -> AF     1681    LHR   09:00 +1  CDG   11:25 +1  32A
UX         92      JFK   22:05     MAD   11:25 +1  332      CS+  WS/  YS0
 -> AF     1301    MAD   12:35 +1  CDG   14:40 +1  319
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KVS
There is definitely O (AKA CS) on that flight -- you may wish to try a different FB call centre:

[KVS Tool 9.1.0/Diamond - Awards/AF-SkyTeam/US-AF]
Code:
NYC New York Metro NY US = JFK LGA EWR
PAR Paris Metro FR = CDG ORY BVA LBG XPG XJY
MON 24 Dec 2018   1 Seat

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Award Availability
--------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- ------------------
AF 7 JFK 18:40 CDG 08:00 +1 388 CS+ WV+ YV+
AF 9 JFK 22:50 CDG 12:00 +1 772 CS+ WV+ YV+
AF 23 JFK 16:35 CDG 05:50 +1 77W CV+ WV+ YV+
AF 19 JFK 19:30 ORY 08:55 +1 772 CV+ WV+ YV+
AF 11 JFK 21:30 CDG 10:55 +1 772 CV+ WV+ YV+
KL 642 JFK 17:45 AMS 06:50 +1 744 CS+ WX/ YV+
-> KL 1229 AMS 08:10 +1 CDG 09:35 +1 738
KL 642 JFK 17:45 AMS 06:50 +1 744 CV+ WX/ YV+
-> AF 1241 AMS 09:25 +1 CDG 10:45 +1 321
KL 644 JFK 21:30 AMS 10:40 +1 789 CV+ WX/ YV+
-> KL 1233 AMS 12:25 +1 CDG 13:40 +1 738
AZ 611 JFK 21:50 FCO 12:05 +1 330 CS0 WS~ YS+
-> AF/JN 1105 FCO 13:05 +1 CDG 15:20 +1 320
DL 1 JFK 19:00 LHR 07:00 +1 333 CS+ WS~ YS0
-> AF 1681 LHR 09:00 +1 CDG 11:25 +1 32A
UX 92 JFK 22:05 MAD 11:25 +1 332 CS+ WS/ YS0
-> AF 1301 MAD 12:35 +1 CDG 14:40 +1 319
Hi, thanks for your help on providing the fare codes for my JFK-CDG flight and confirming there was "O" availability (below). I saw the same thing when using the KVS tool. I think I figured out the issue. My flight on 12/24 is actually from JFK to CPT with a stop at CDG so essentially JFK-CDG-CPT. I only wanted to upgrade on the JFK-CDG portion since when using your tool I had already confirmed the CDG-CPT portion didn't have "O" availability, had a heavier load and I didn't think I'd really have a shot at a pre-DoD upgrade. So all my focus was on the JFK-CDG portion. I called FB again today and spoke to a fairly knowledgeable rep and he said my flight was a "married" fare from JFK-CPT and that might be the reason the original rep I spoke to at FB said there was no "O" availability for just the JFK-CDG portion. Again, I only wanted to upgrade from JFK-CDG and knew there was "O" availability from using your tool. So I guess, unless "O" availability" becomes available from CDG-CPT I can't upgrade in advance with miles? Still can't understand why FB wouldn't upgrade me in advance for just the JFK-CDG portion? I'm not actually purchasing a ticket but only upgrading . Can you or anyone confirm that's what is going on here and if I have any other options?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: Many
Since the FB dynamic pricing scheme for awards is in place, it is true though that awards such as STR-CDG-JFK can have a lower mileage than the direct CDG-JFK (and vice versa).

But I thought married segments restrictions only applied to revenue fares, not awards nor upgrades. If effectively in place that would be a serious change to the program.

By the way ExpertFlyer is currently showing O0 for AF7 on 24th Dec. I know that availability can vary anytime but that is strange to me that KVS is showing a different result.

Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bodory
Since the FB dynamic pricing scheme for awards is in place, it is true though that awards such as STR-CDG-JFK can have a lower mileage than the direct CDG-JFK (and vice versa).

But I thought married segments restrictions only applied to revenue fares, not awards nor upgrades. If effectively in place that would be a serious change to the program.

By the way ExpertFlyer is currently showing O0 for AF7 on 24th Dec. I know that availability can vary anytime but that is strange to me that KVS is showing a different result.

@bodory Thanks. Can anyone else confirm if a married segment only applies to revenue fares and not awards or upgrades with miles? I'm being told married segments do apply to awards and upgrades. Again I only want to upgrade on the JFK-CDG which does show "O" availability in the KVS tool. Also would it make sense for me to reach out to another call center? I've read on this forum that sometimes that helps. If so, how do I get in touch with another call center and which one(s) do you suggest. I've been calling the main FB number from the US 800-375-8723.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
Also would it make sense for me to reach out to another call center? I've read on this forum that sometimes that helps. If so, how do I get in touch with another call center and which one(s) do you suggest. I've been calling the main FB number from the US 800-375-8723.
It will not, they will see the same available upgrade inventory as any other call center. Just try and call closer to departure date and see if any availability will show up by then. I've noticed that having O availability in Expertflyer doesn't always mean it's actually available as an upgrade either. So it's a bit of a crapshoot at times.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:32 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by bodory
Only the KVS Tool supports dynamic Award/Upgrade Availability for FB members (which we have posted), as well as Partner Award Availability (which is what you have posted).

Again I only want to upgrade on the JFK-CDG which does show "O" availability in the KVS tool. Also would it make sense for me to reach out to another call center? I've read on this forum that sometimes that helps. If so, how do I get in touch with another call center and which one(s) do you suggest. I've been calling the main FB number from the US 800-375-8723.
Try +33 1 5868-6868
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by KVS
Only the KVS Tool supports dynamic Award/Upgrade Availability for FB members (which we have posted), as well as Partner Award Availability (which is what you have posted).

Dear KVS: could you elaborate. I thought that EF updated awards like once a day. But the discrepancyon O awards has been going on for many many days. EF shows O0 C9. Is CS on KVS really identical to O? or doe sit include award for elites (C)
If CS=O, why the difference? POS?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by KVS

Try +33 1 5868-6868
What do yo mean by dynamic Award/Upgrade availability for FB members? Are you referring to real time (or close) information about awards and upgrades inventory? Or to the dynamic pricing FB uses for awards on AK and KL?

Unless I am mistaken, there is no dynamic pricing for upgrades with FB ; only for awards. Upgrades remain ruled by the old availability scheme of F, O and A. And these upgrade class codes are also reflecting awards availability for partners.

Therefore I cannot understand why KVS is showing upgrade availability for OP to upgrade from premium economy to the business cabin whereas ExpertFlyer and FB agents say the opposite.

Originally Posted by brunos
Dear KVS: could you elaborate. I thought that EF updated awards like once a day. But the discrepancyon O awards has been going on for many many days. EF shows O0 C9. Is CS on KVS really identical to O? or doe sit include award for elites (C)
If CS=O, why the difference? POS?
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.