PVG - lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
PVG - lounge

Dear all,
I have a question. I will be flying soon to PVG. According to this website:
https://www.skyteam.com/en/lounges/l...tcode=Shanghai - Pudong Intl (PVG)
There are multiple lounges I can access. I will be flying from PVG to CDG, once with AF and another time with MU. Which lounge is the best lounge to get the most decent amount of food quality?

Sincerely,
SB
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
They are all crap...
PeteM01, SkyteamEP, lynxy and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue: Platinum for Life Elite Plus - EuroBonus: Gold
OKay… but if you had to pick the best out of the worst...
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no direct experience of PVG as such but, while there are multiple lounges, the SOP at many Chinese airports is that lounge hopping is not normally allowed: you are allocated one lounge depending on your airline and class of travel and this is the lounge that you have access to with no possibility of going to another lounge, even if it is another ST lounge.

Last edited by NickB; Jun 12, 2018 at 6:41 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
The new lounges allocated for AF and MU at Terminal 2 in PVG for international departures are far better than the previous ones we have been experiencing before (those close to gate 18 or 20ish that are no longer in use).
I think the lounge for AF is better than MU but that is merely personal.
After cleared security turn right and then go upstairs (follow the signs, you cannot miss them).
Both are spacious and the MU one got two floors (I always go upstairs since it is quieter).
Food on offer is decent as well as drinks. There is a small but nice noodle station in the AF lounge and a bigger one in the MU.
Please note the food area in the MU lounge is usually crowded, food choice upstairs is limited but it is fine for me.
Enjoy it.
Ulxima
KLBGO likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
I found the air conditioning really noisy in the MU lounge when I was there in April. I wasn't very excited by the food offering, and the drinks were averagea except that they had some Cointreau
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ulxima
The new lounges allocated for AF and MU at Terminal 2 in PVG for international departures are far better than the previous ones we have been experiencing before (those close to gate 18 or 20ish that are no longer in use).
I think the lounge for AF is better than MU but that is merely personal.
After cleared security turn right and then go upstairs (follow the signs, you cannot miss them).
Both are spacious and the MU one got two floors (I always go upstairs since it is quieter).
Food on offer is decent as well as drinks. There is a small but nice noodle station in the AF lounge and a bigger one in the MU.
Please note the food area in the MU lounge is usually crowded, food choice upstairs is limited but it is fine for me.
Enjoy it.
Ulxima
Good to know, thanks for the info. I didn't know there were new lounges. The previous ones were truly horrible.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
Should have rather named it the thread as PVG "lounge" - unless flying with a Chinese airline (and only a few select of them), lounges @ PVG = crap.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Oh dear, with an upcoming 9 hour layover at PVG maybe I should consider going to downtown Shanghai! Would such a trip be feasible with a 9 hour layover?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by Concerto
Oh dear, with an upcoming 9 hour layover at PVG maybe I should consider going to downtown Shanghai! Would such a trip be feasible with a 9 hour layover?
Yes this is definately doable, the Maglev runs at 430kph, takes you almost 40km from PVG to Longyang road in just 6/7 minutes, from there you can either grab a metro or take a cab into Puxi (the other side of the river). Depending on what time of day I would decide metro or taxi.

I would recommend going to the Bund for a quick stop, then onto Xintiandi, definately have lunch/diner at Din Tai Fung (there is an establishment in the mall that is part of Xintiandi). The French Quarter is also nice to visit. If you like spicy food, Di Shui Dong is your place to go, do not forget to order the spicy ribs
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Accor Le Club, Hilton HHonors, Hertz Gold Plus, Avis Preferred
Last I've heard (around March-April), Chinese immigration officers in PVG are reluctant to let you enter China on TWOV if you don't have to spend at least one night in Shanghai.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by SkyteamEP
Last I've heard (around March-April), Chinese immigration officers in PVG are reluctant to let you enter China on TWOV if you don't have to spend at least one night in Shanghai.
If you're connecting from Country A via PVG to Country B (with B not being anywhere in China) you should be good at least according to the rules of the TWOV/TVOA, unfortunately there have indeed been reports of immigration officers not being fully aware of all the rules and subsequently denying TWOV/TVOA's.

Timewise it is definately doable.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennhaak
Yes this is definately doable, the Maglev runs at 430kph, takes you almost 40km from PVG to Longyang road in just 6/7 minutes, from there you can either grab a metro or take a cab into Puxi (the other side of the river). Depending on what time of day I would decide metro or taxi.

I would recommend going to the Bund for a quick stop, then onto Xintiandi, definately have lunch/diner at Din Tai Fung (there is an establishment in the mall that is part of Xintiandi). The French Quarter is also nice to visit. If you like spicy food, Di Shui Dong is your place to go, do not forget to order the spicy ribs
Great, thanks a million, I will definitely do most if not all of these things. That is, if I can get past the TWOV issue at the airport. Guess I’ll need some Chinese money too, but I imagine it’s not too difficult to change some euros somewhere. This will be better than sitting in some mediocre lounge somewhere in PVG airport.

OT: Am I right in thinking that you can collect Lufthansa miles on the Maglev train?
glennhaak likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Good to know, thanks for the info. I didn't know there were new lounges. The previous ones were truly horrible.
You are welcome.
Just for the records, MU and AF lounges in PVG are in Terminal 1 and not in 2 as I wrote, I am sorry about that.

U!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennhaak

Right, I’ve left it a bit late checking back with you, but my Shanghai layover is today unless it gets curtailed by the storm swirling over the East China Sea. I was wondering if I could put the rail ticket and metro ride on a credit card, because I’d like to avoid changing money (how much is the Maglev, by the way?). I suspect commission for a small number of euros is going to wipe out any value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.