Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF award bookings during strikes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

AF award bookings during strikes

I have a couple of AF long haul award flights in Business Class reserved for May 2018. Can someone perhaps advise how AF treats (non-elite) passengers affected by strike related flight disruptions? Does AF endorse tickets to other carriers in these situations? Does EU-261 compensation apply (the journey originates in Europe)? What is the best way to prepare for a strike related disruption?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
I tweeted KLM and they gave me some options and then changed it. I'm Elite + though, so not sure if that is a benefit of that... They got a bit funny with transfering the Platinum status over to the new flight, when I tried to put the number in it wouldn't allow me for the new KLM leg, so went without the lounge in JFK... SkyPri status transfered though, as well as Econ Comfort seat selection (transfered from Double deck duo)
Old Apr 24, 2018, 11:49 pm

They have to act with you like a paying customer. The EU regulations is not making difference between paying and awards tickets.

Last edited by Azureas; Apr 25, 2018 at 1:35 am
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by puchong
I have a couple of AF long haul award flights in Business Class reserved for May 2018. Can someone perhaps advise how AF treats (non-elite) passengers affected by strike related flight disruptions? Does AF endorse tickets to other carriers in these situations? Does EU-261 compensation apply (the journey originates in Europe)? What is the best way to prepare for a strike related disruption?
Why not inform yourself as to how AF is handling strikes right now? Here is the relevant page on their website.

https://www.airfrance.us/US/en/commo...air-france.htm
Old Apr 25, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
That link is not informative any more as there is no further strikes announced yet.

The general answer seems to be that AF reroutes all pax irrespective of their fare and status.
But there has to be some priority in assigning pax to alternative flights as those are usually very full.
Without hard evidence, one can guess that a full fare pax with status will have priority over an award without status.
The rerouting can take place on other airlines of the group (KL), on other partners of JV (DL, AZ) and on other airlines. In the latter, it can be quite expensive for AF and awards will not be the priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.