Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade with Miles - Two Segments

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat
Can't Upgrade with Miles - Despite Both Segments Available

Has anyone had issues trying to upgrade a booking where both segments have availability individually but apparently don't together?
I asked about upgrading just one leg and they still won't let me do that despite the written rules saying:
  • Upgrade awards are offered per flight segment. This means that you have the option to upgrade parts of your journey instead of being obliged to upgrade your whole journey.
https://www.flyingblue.com/upgrade-award.html

Any advice or thoughts would be great

Last edited by silverforumsurf; Jan 20, 2018 at 9:36 am
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
You need O award availability on the segment you'd like to upgrade.
It's is a different class from flex or elite upgrade availability, which according to the Plat line is only upgradable to from the highest Y economy class (which is almost as expensive as business anyways)

Also, your current booking class would need to allow it.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

O is available on both segments when searched individually but not when searched together. I’m upgrading from A which is eligible, that’s not the problem.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
I’m upgrading from A.
This is quite likely the problem.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:43 am
Original Poster

I don’t believe so - it’s on the ypgrade with miles chart and uses O inventory. In the past it was not on the chart.

even if you search for an award flight, they show up separately but not together as one booking.. anyway to co vince AF to open up this reverse married segment?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, FB Plat
If there's O availability, you should be able to upgrade it per segment. I'd just call the flying blue service line and ask if you can do a certain leg.
If they say no, tell them you see O availability and ask why you cannot upgrade.

Those people can directly see the direct systems, all we can do is guess for reasons and/or check expertflyer (if you share your flight number(s) / date I can check if you want?)
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Could be a question of POS.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wunk
If there's O availability, you should be able to upgrade it per segment. I'd just call the flying blue service line and ask if you can do a certain leg.
If they say no, tell them you see O availability and ask why you cannot upgrade.

Those people can directly see the direct systems, all we can do is guess for reasons and/or check expertflyer (if you share your flight number(s) / date I can check if you want?)
they blame AF and say it’s because it’s a married segment.. they claim if the aaa-bbb-ccc award is available you can upgrade either segment, but you can’t if only aaa-bbb and bbb-ccc is available, even if both are available
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

they blame AF and say it’s because it’s a married segment.. they claim if the aaa-bbb-ccc award is available you can upgrade either segment, but you can’t if only aaa-bbb and bbb-ccc is available, even if both are available
That's not true. At least, not if you are willing to pay the individual amount required per segment.

It seems like you want to upgrade both sectors, simultaneously, and at a "discount" to the per-sector price.

I'm afraid you are probably stuck with having to upgrade each sector separately. Or consider just upgrading the longer sector. If any of these is short/medium haul, the logic in upgrading that sector is less.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

What's the way to make this happen? I'm happy to pay the per sector price. I've called 8 different times to flyingblue US. Also emailed and twittered them. They all claim it's true..

Originally Posted by irishguy28
That's not true. At least, not if you are willing to pay the individual amount required per segment.

It seems like you want to upgrade both sectors, simultaneously, and at a "discount" to the per-sector price.

I'm afraid you are probably stuck with having to upgrade each sector separately. Or consider just upgrading the longer sector. If any of these is short/medium haul, the logic in upgrading that sector is less.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I don’t believe so - it’s on the ypgrade with miles chart and uses O inventory. In the past it was not on the chart.

even if you search for an award flight, they show up separately but not together as one booking.. anyway to co vince AF to open up this reverse married segment?
The only way I know that usually 'breaks' a married segment is the stopover. If your XXX-YYY-ZZZ flight has a married segment, you may try to stay for slightly more than 24 hours in YYY. Since you're flying A, this change will incur on a change cost and normally the stopover as a cost as well, depending on the fare, but then it will likely release the married segment. I've done that many times to get A/Z fares, never tried with an O though.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
What's the way to make this happen? I'm happy to pay the per sector price. I've called 8 different times to flyingblue US. Also emailed and twittered them. They all claim it's true..
Try ringing Flying Blue in Europe. Use Skype and the call should be almost free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.