Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue
Reload this Page >

2018 Changes: Benefits from Amex AF-KLM Platinum card when FB Plat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2017, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue & IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz & Avis President's etc.

Hi there,

I've been looking into the other threads but didn't find anything on this. When being a FB Platinum with an Amex Platinum AF-KLM Card, you have a specific benefit: your preferred partner/spouse is getting automatically the Platinum status on FB following yours.

I'm trying to get the info if it's going to ben kept with the new program.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sam
voyage-platinum.com
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by Pasdawan
Hi there,

I've been looking into the other threads but didn't find anything on this. When being a FB Platinum with an Amex Platinum AF-KLM Card, you have a specific benefit: your preferred partner/spouse is getting automatically the Platinum status on FB following yours.

I'm trying to get the info if it's going to ben kept with the new program.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sam
voyage-platinum.com
The benefits remain the same except:

- no more Status miles (XP in new programme) with purchases at AFKL
- free XP instead of free segments on anniversary of card.

Last edited by carnarvon; Nov 10, 2017 at 8:18 pm
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, IB, Miles and More, Delta
It won't change. Here is the link :
http://operation-ae.com/explore_flyingblue/afplatinum

The only remaining interesting perk probably.
That Platinum FB Amex card has terrible value for the price though.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Masterfrog
It won't change. Here is the link :
http://operation-ae.com/explore_flyingblue/afplatinum

The only remaining interesting perk probably.
That Platinum FB Amex card has terrible value for the price though.
Compared to what? I get quite a bit of nice use out of it, the mileage earnings were pretty crazy.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by caliform
Compared to what? I get quite a bit of nice use out of it, the mileage earnings were pretty crazy.
i concur.

Am pleased with the miles earning and the top notch insurance coverage.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: FB (platinum for life), AAdvantage (exec platinum), Aeroflot Bonus (gold)
Originally Posted by carnarvon
i concur.

"The top notch insurance coverage" is fake. It works until it doesn't.
I've had an AmEx Gold for years and once I had an accident in Switzerland in the mountains in 2011. It didn't fall under exceptions in the insurance conditions (they changed them shortly after to explicitly exclude cases like mine) which did not prevent them from refusing my insurance claim. So, I had to pay about 6000EUR.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by chil
"The top notch insurance coverage" is fake. It works until it doesn't.
I've had an AmEx Gold for years and once I had an accident in Switzerland in the mountains in 2011. It didn't fall under exceptions in the insurance conditions (they changed them shortly after to explicitly exclude cases like mine) which did not prevent them from refusing my insurance claim. So, I had to pay about 6000EUR.
Your statement is clear as mud.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:19 am

i concur.

But you get both with the normal Amex Plat, and in fact you get MR points which you can then convert and use with many other airlines and not just limit yourself to FB awards.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
But you get both with the normal Amex Plat, and in fact you get MR points which you can then convert and use with many other airlines and not just limit yourself to FB awards.
You earn waaaaaay more FB miles with Amex FB than MR points exchanged for FB miles, especially if you buy quite few AF tickets.

For example:

- 1,000 Euros spent with Amex FB Plat at AF KL generate 2,000 FB miles and 1,500 miles when spent elsewhere.

- 1,000 Euros spent with normal Amex Plat generate 1,000 MR points according to Amex website which translate into 800 FB miles.

Then with Amex FB, the miles are your FB account so if you see an award you can take it straight away where MR take time to reach the FFP account meaning the award might be gone by then and your MR are assigned forever to the FFP.

A no brainer for me.

True you lose the freedom to affect the MR where you want, but one cannot expect to have it both ways.

Others might be in a different situation, but in my case, it plays well.

When I want to fly a non FB partner airline, I buy the ticket. I think, on the long run, it pays better.

But you can of course prefer to earn less miles and be free to use them in more FFP.

There is no such thing as one size which would fit all (even single size socks can turn out being too small), so one's paradise is another's hell.
Goldorak and Carel1 like this.

Last edited by carnarvon; Nov 11, 2017 at 5:02 am
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: Many
Then with Amex FB, the miles are your FB account so if you see an award you can take it straight away where MR take time to reach the FFP account meaning the award might be gone by then and your MR are assigned forever to the FFP.
MR transfer to FB is immediate.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum; Hilton Gold
You're sure about the normal Amex Plat? In the US, for Amex Plat I get 5 MR per 1$ spent on airline tickets (any airline), so if I'd buy 1000 EUR ticket (~1166 USD), I'd be getting 5830 MR, which I can convert to 5830 FB miles.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Sjondorn
You're sure about the normal Amex Plat? In the US, for Amex Plat I get 5 MR per 1$ spent on airline tickets (any airline), so if I'd buy 1000 EUR ticket (~1166 USD), I'd be getting 5830 MR, which I can convert to 5830 FB miles.
Bolding is mine.

There lies the difference. The x5 on airfares is not applicable to French Amex Plat.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by bodory
MR transfer to FB is immediate.
Amex website says "up to 72 hours".

If it is immediate, it is good. The risk of seeing the award go is minimised.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sjondorn
As bodory is pointing out, the figures I quoted are for French cards, as we are comparing Amex FB and normal Amex (Amex FB is only available to French and Dutch bank account holders).

This being said, these US figure are insane (good for you though). One gets far many more miles with the card than with flying.

Are the 5 MR per dollar spent for tickets only? What about other purchases?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:20 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
In NL you now get 1.5 MR per Euro. This changed a few months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.